wear and tear of scaffolders ? (1 Viewer)

happyhugenoet

Reaction score
After reading the thread on IW Wrenches and the complaints by many of the wear and tear of Scaffolders body's. There has been a lot of how Scafolding impacts on us over the years,but what do the companies do to help ease the strain RELATIVELY FECK ALL WE ARE TREATED AS BEASTS OF BURDEN.
loading up wagons
hand balling every item
walking gear up Tenement "closes" (stairwells for my English Brethern) and passing it out the windows,
I WORKED ON THE ESSO REFINERY IN ROTTERDAM NEARLY 20 YEARS AGO AND A BELGIAN SCAFFOLDING FIRM WAS ALSO THERE . tHEY WERE SCAFFOLDING BIG TANKS AND USING HOISTS TO TAKE STILLAGES UP TO THE LIFTS,SIMILAR TO WHAT ROOF TILERS BUT ONLY BIGGER.
I HAVE NEVER SEEN TH IS IN THE UK:sad2:

I had the same with Hertel in a refinery in Belgium happy, in Tetre.

Good little things arn't they. What was the name of the refinery in Rotterdam?

ESSO that was 18 years ago and ive still never seen one over here apart from
ROOFERS FFS:mad::mad:

The trouble is Happy
It would work on big commercial prodjects but 99% of what we do is street work ,
Where you roll up with your lorry and throw it up .

This game has got to be the worst for wear and tear on your body ,
There ain't no easy way to do it you just gotta get amongst it ;)

I totally agree phillio and even if scaffold companies were to invest more on Labour saving devillces the so called BEST PRACTICE CONFEDERATION would no doubt bann them while awaiting a consultation to produce a GUIDANCE BOOKLET and obligatory CARDED SCHEME FOR OPERATIVES
nothing left but to horse on Lads

Firm in Barrow paid a good few grand for a wheel Barrow type hoist for getting scaffold materials up. Great for churches any big job over 5 lifts. Was sabotage I can guarantee it wasn't by his own lads lol

Firm in Barrow paid a good few grand for a wheel Barrow type hoist for getting scaffold materials up. Great for churches any big job over 5 lifts. Was sabotage I can guarantee it wasn't by his own lads lol

The only really good thing I have seen them hoist for is getting up tin sheets for roofs Marra ,
They are as slow as hell ,
We used to use a rack and pinion hoist on tower blocks sometimes to get kit up and they where a massive help as long as the lads didn't over load them

21s pointing out of the emergency escape on an alimak hoist going up the side of a multi storey does look a Tad Dodgy but what a GOD send;)
walking up a tenement stairwell and passing tranny tubes through the close (stairwell) window made me the Scaff I am today
Hardwork never Hurt anyone but over the years does take its toll

I've been out working in refineries and chemical plants in germany for years , the use of hoists , mewps is widespread here , but **** when it gets over 6m their lost ;;;;;handball what is that ? lol , im all for technical solutions but also i think we have lost the art of scaffolding

The Issue with the Rope and Wheel is YOU NEED 2 HANDS to properly pull material up the side of a Scaffold.
HOW ARE YOUNG GUNS MEANT TO KEEP UPTO SPEED WITH THEIR FACEBOOK TWITTER AND INSTABAM ACCOUNTS:sad2:

you can now get a heads up visor for your hard hat to keep the young folk up to speed with facebook and twitter

As a Scaffolder,
Its Not Age that gets you,,,,,,,,,,, it the mileage you put inn

Top Bottom