Blocking lift

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
if i had a bird cage 3 meters high with a 1 meter lift then a 2 meter lift ,
would i still need a blocking lift ?

I wouldn't put one in ..........but in the modern BS times I'm probably wrong mate.

No kicker lift needed if butting 4 walls mate.

ahha A kicker lift different terminology cheers for that one phillio
I wouldn't bother but nowadays you would probably still need a drawing and a degree from oxford university to put a fooking double on it;)

excuse my ignorance lads but whats a blocking lift ;)

I didn't dare ask for fear of ridicule. I suspected it would be a base/kicker lift though. Regional differences in terminology come to the fore once again.:nuts:
@phil, any time I've worked for an English firm they seem to disregard the whole concept of a kicker lift. I once worked for a brummie outfit that had work in Glasgow and the guvnor had me running in the working (only) lift at about 9' high for rendering work round a two story house. TG20 whit?

Last edited:
I do a lot in these big houses phil & have never had to or been asked to put them in but even if butting the walls the S.O always requires internal braceing 1 in 4 bays normally

The answer lies in the TG20 Operational Guide. Single lift needs it in alternate bays both ways, multiple lifts don't. Follow that and the standard spacing and you're TG20 compliant.
You don't need to butt it if you follow the bracing rules - which are a bit too complicated to explain in words alone.

(Pictures are in Chapter 13)

excuse my ignorance lads but whats a blocking lift ;)

I remember first coming across the term when working for Grayston Wokingham depot back in the 80's,i think it was called that because if you remember the old foot scaffolds we used to put around new builds,you could just throw down blocks as your standards and then run a ledger along them with putlogs onto the wall.
Brings back some memories that,the cowboy scaffs would even use thermalites.:laugh:

Haha had to do one 6" high the other day on type1 that was rolled! Seemed stupid at the time and still does

Yes mate you are correct a blocking lift is for bricklayer's and erected as low as possible for bricklayer's to start first course off footings and a foot tie does what it says on the tin

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Phillio cheers for starting this one as an OLD SCAFF once told me EVERYDAY IS A SCHOOL DAY AT SCAFFOLDING and that is true for the Forum.
as for Brickies they are as big a pain in the arse as welders;)

Top Bottom