Scaffolders Impact Wrenches Jan 2017 Memo (1 Viewer)

Yeah know it wouldn't be long the firm I work for banned the use off them last year , I've always said that they are not made for scaffolding and always found them very clumsy to work at height with , over the years there has been several attempts to found an mechanical wrench for scaffolding but none have ever been up to the job , you can't go wrong with the good old box spanner and a bit of scaff power . how's the saying go if it ain't broke why fix it ,nougth said

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Yeah know it wouldn't be long the firm I work for banned the use off them last year , I've always said that they are not made for scaffolding and always found them very clumsy to work at height with , over the years there has been several attempts to found an mechanical wrench for scaffolding but none have ever been up to the job , you can't go wrong with the good old box spanner and a bit of scaff power . how's the saying go if it ain't broke why fix it ,nougth said

Time to hang up my belt if I can't use a Impact wrench, it makes the job easier less wear and tear on my body 17 years humping and fixing ain't good for your body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry fella don't agree 30+ years in and still using box spanner , and scaffolding has never been and never will be an easy job so people should stop trying to re- invent the game

Wouldn't go as far as hanging belt up but couldn't make a nut on price, fair play to the 40+ still on spanner but can't deny they are quicker and does make scaffolding a whole lot easier

Wouldn't go as far as hanging belt up but couldn't make a nut on price, fair play to the 40+ still on spanner but can't deny they are quicker and does make scaffolding a whole lot easier

Yeah I'm 44 and it's getting harder but drill makes it so much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The industry should move with the times. For every reason given in that memo, there is similar reason for not using the spanner anymore. Has anyone not told us not to swing a spanner due to RSI or tennis elbow? No. So what's the difference with the risk of injury using an IW? How is it different tethering n IW to a spanner, I've never had any problem. And how is there any difference between knowing wether someone has done a nut up tight enough with a spanner or IW unless someone went round checking every nut.

Sorry fella don't agree 30+ years in and still using box spanner , and scaffolding has never been and never will be an easy job so people should stop trying to re- invent the game

I take it youve never used one then pal cos otherwise you wouldnt make such a stupid statement - so if you're 30+ years in the game you've seen many changes, not just on the h&s side for our own good but i doubt you still use a stabila without magnets- thats been swapped for a rare earth magnet stabbila & the heavy old burton swingover has been traded for a new gucci lightweight poker or Ali handled spanner, the little 3m B&Q tape as been exchanged for a nice 5m stanly with a magnetic end & that old open end wrench swapped for a 2 way ratchet all kept snug in an assortment of off the shelf pouches & belts all of which has been like the impact wrenches not only made our lives easier but has been the natural progression in our game - but if you want to stay in the past my friend then just like the dinosaurs you'll be made extinct

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I take it youve never used one then pal cos otherwise you wouldnt make such a stupid statement - so if you're 30+ years in the game you've seen many changes, not just on the h&s side for our own good but i doubt you still use a stabila without magnets- thats been swapped for a rare earth magnet stabbila & the heavy old burton swingover has been traded for a new gucci lightweight poker or Ali handled spanner, the little 3m B&Q tape as been exchanged for a nice 5m stanly with a magnetic end & that old open end wrench swapped for a 2 way ratchet all kept snug in an assortment of off the shelf pouches & belts all of which has been like the impact wrenches not only made our lives easier but has been the natural progression in our game - but if you want to stay in the past my friend then just like the dinosaurs you'll be made extinct8

Yeah all to make my belt lighter so I can move about easier so why would I want to hang a clumsy wrench on it and let's have it right the games got slower can't imaging why , and the day old dinosaurs like me retire is the day the games in trouble

After 34 years on the tools my arms , shoulders and neck are knackered ,
I would never go back to using a spanner as I just simply would be seized up by mid day,

Every statement made in that memo can be applied to using a spanner ,
I have seen lads that only nip up fittings even on heavy duty work ,
How tight should a double be ? it's something you just get to know after a while in the game
As No one ever comes along and puts a torque wrench on it to check them ,
The strain pulling on a spanner year in year out takes it toll big time as you get older ,
And as for tereing what about the 21 foot tube or the unit beam Iam fixing at height ?

29 years in the game and I wouldn't go back to the spanner. That said 3 more years and I'm ******* scaffolding off altogether :)

There will probably be another 2 day course soon for the use of IW
and another card £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

29 years in the game and I wouldn't go back to the spanner. That said 3 more years and I'm ******* scaffolding off altogether :)
Thats exactly what I said 10 years ago. :laugh:
Hope you have better luck in that than I did DS. As for the wrench my arms are knackered now on the spanner after nearly 40 years on it. It isnt my age its the mileage and the wear and tear thats the fault and the gun has added another 5 years to my working life. :cool:

I'll be 50 in 3 years John . My card will be up for renewal, which I begrudge paying for the new cpd course. Mortgage is paid so will look for something a bit less strenuous.

I renewed my card in July and wont be doing it again in 2021 DS. By that time I will have turned 60, so the wrench will hopefully see me out til then. I am not doing that course on principle as they have have enough money out of me as it is. Frankly I am disgusted with them bringing that course out and having to pay that amount of money just so you can earn a living is to my opinion a disgrace.

Once you're qualified, you should be qualified. end of.:mad:

Like I said I'm 51 used a spanner all them years and would never change , I would of thought using a impact wrench which are not that light would put more stress on your shoulders when in use more than a lightweight box spanner , they are just not made for scaffolding

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

And that's without the constant vibrations and bloody noise , suppose you could all work in a tyre shop when they are band lol

The weight you get used to. The noise aint there that much if you use them correctly. There great body saving item that should be used. What's ******* it up is scaff's not using them correctly. Doesn't makita say there latest one is ideal for scaffolding?

You're correct Mr B ...........it's all down to fittings being strained by folk with a heavy trigger finger.

I would suggest if there was a demand for it, the manufacturers themselves would provide product training as they do with for example, tying methods using their products. Hilti being a company that immediately springs to mind. As has been discussed on here before, competency and the demonstration thereof is key.

Last edited:
I have been scaffolding 33 years and the I wrench is the best thing to come into the game without a shadow of a doubt I love it not just the speed but the effortlessness of it

Top Bottom