Scaffolders Impact Wrenches Jan 2017 Memo

Julian there are many things wrong with this industry at the moment and I can't it getting better fella , shame

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

You're right about Hilti. They've doubled the lease contract price to £60 a month and reduced the leasing to 1 year instead of 2! I've bought a Makita....... Register it online and get a 3 year Warranty with it.
Same here
The makita feels more balanced too and better battery options

I'd take that 3 year warranty with a pinch of salt.
My 1st brushless Makita failed after 18 months, 18 months bouncing around in a gorilla hook a it looked battered, all the rubber grip was missing, the trigger had a hole in the side wall from abrasion, the front clear plastic dust cover had fallen away, and finally the gear box failed, sent it back to the store whom sent it off to Makita's warranty department, who looked at it and laughed, the only way they will up hold a 3 year warranty is if you return it in pristine condition.

IW's were never developed solely for the Scaffolding Industry, rather, Manufacturers adapted existing designs in an attempt to address IW use in Scaffolding…if we are to have the option of IW, why has there been little to no interest in developing an IW that WILL satisfy all concerned ???

Many of the concerns contained within the Memo could apply to human error to be fair, and the Training issue re operation is to be included in the New CPD Course…

Iam over 30 years on the spanner not anymore after taking advice from philiousmaximus iam on the drill I can wear out my ginger all day long and save on my wrist elbow shoulder iam on the makita love it keeping it feck the spanner

Why dont we all agree on one thing , they are s**t and its not scaffolding

How ever you scaffold it's just commonsense if something makes a heavy job easier your going to use it and in reference to its not scaffolding is using a hammer scaffolding of course it is with cuplock you need an hammer with haki you secure a clip with your thumb is that scaffolding of course it is if you don't move in the fast lane you will get left behind

Was it ever said which company wrote that memo?

There will probably be another 2 day course soon for the use of IW
and another card £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

There is a module on IW in the new CPD Course...

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Tabled in 1998 and trialed by a leading PLC Scaffolding Organisation, instigators Ronnie Chetham ( late of Lyndon now in Nz ) and myself…

Main drives: HSQEF considerations in brief...

Health, the health of the Scaffolder
Safety, control human error
Quality, Manufacturers Recommendations
Environment, longevity of couplers
Fiscal, re-order , acquisitions of replacement couplers

Until further research and development to improve the IW and design a Hand Held Tool dedicated to Scaffolding Operations there will always be Questions in regard of ease of use…i.e. make it lighter and more robust…Manufacturers are missing a trick here…HOWEVER, Im a purist and the IW will not wholly replace my swing over, far be it the intention…the motives were to assist Bro Scaffs Health and well being, followed closely by SQEF...

Last edited:
Salutations Garry
I'm surprised that a man of your calibre would use the CPD course as evidence
That course is nothing but a fuucking disgrace which will cost Scaffs plenty just to earn their wage ;)

It seemed to me that most of the problems as to why the IW was banned was the Torque issue

So looking at the automotive industry that has variable torque settings on their IW I came across this interesting review

Top 5 Impact Wrench Mistakes | Impact Wrench Reviews

Top 5 Impact Wrench Mistakes
1. Over tightening fixings
This is the number one problem for inexperienced users who underestimate the torque being applied by an impact wrench. In an effort to ensure that the nut or bolt is adequately tightened, they stretch or strip the threads. Strictly speaking, an impact wrench is designed to loosen fixings rather than tighten them. It is also useful for speeding up the fitting or removal of fixings but, as you will see later on, this function has its own problems.
Note: Over tightening fixings can be problematic even if no damage occurs. Most of us will have experienced the scenario of struggling to remove a wheel nut (lug nut) to change a tyre that’s been fitted by a mechanic with an impact wrench. If tightened to the manufacturers specifications, the nuts can usually be removed by hand, using the wrench provided.
Some of the latest, high end models however, have a built in torque limiter, which is designed to prevent the fixing being over tightened. This is acceptable for tightening general fixings that have a broad torque setting but is not suitable for fixings that have a more precise torque setting. Non-safety critical fixings, such as facia bolts for example, have a broad torque setting and can be tightened with a torque-limited impact wrench. A safety critical or engineering fixing, such as a wheel nut (lug nut) or cylinder head bolt on the other hand, has a critical torque setting and should only be tightened using a torque wrench.
If any fixing is tightened beyond the manufacturers specifications, there is a risk that the threads will stretch causing the fixing to lose tension, which could be dangerous. A more common occurrence (something I’m sure most people will have experienced at some point) is a stripped thread, which means having to repair the fixing; often an expensive and time consuming job. It is important to note that most manufacturers quote torque figures for clean, dry threads. If your threads are not in this condition when tightening them and it is a safety critical application, seek advice from an expert.
In conclusion, the best course of action is to use an impact wrench for loosening and removing/refitting nuts and bolts, and a torque wrench for tightening them to the manufacturer’s specified torque.

2. Damaging threads
Damaging threads is usually caused by cross-threading the nut or bolt prior to tightening it with an impact wrench. The best way to avoid this is to ensure the nut or bolt it correctly threaded by hand before using the impact wrench. Your hands are much more sensitive than a torque-limited impact wrench so use them first.
This is particularly important for aluminium or other soft metal fixings as they are easily damaged by cross threading. If a fixing cannot be threaded by hand, it is likely too tight and may require modification, or cleaning with a tap or die.
Tip: Consider using helicoils for threads (particularly in softer metals) that are frequently removed and refitted, or subjected to high loads.

3. Using the wrong sockets and damaging fixings
It is not uncommon to see people using ordinary sockets with an impact wrench, only to find that they begin to slip. Ordinary sockets are not designed to be used with a cyclic load so tend to wear quickly and become oversized, causing them to slip on the fixing. Impact wrench sockets are heavy duty and grip across the flats (for hex fixings) to prevent them wearing, damaging the fixing and slipping.

4. Buying the wrong size impact wrench for the job
Another common mistake is buying the wrong size impact wrench. It can be difficult to determine the size of impact wrench you need; too small and it won’t do the job, too large and it may be awkward and tiring to use. As discussed in my “Beginners Guide to the Impact Wrench”, a good rule of thumb is to think about the size of fittings you would use with a hand socket wrench. For example, you wouldn’t use a 1-Inch drive hand wrench to release a 3/8-Inch nut, and the same applies to an impact wrench.
Next, consider where you will be using the impact wrench and how long for. An air impact wrench for example, is smaller and has a greater power to weight ratio than a cordless one, making it more suitable for use in restricted spaces and for longer periods. This makes the air the perfect choice for professional mechanics, but the cordless (or electric) impact wrench remains the best option for infrequent and home use, because there is no additional infrastructure required.
From a more technical perspective, if you know the torque required to release your largest fixing, then you can check this against the torque rating of the impact wrench. As long as it has a rating greater than the required torque, you shouldn’t have any problems. Bear in mind however, that while a fixing may have been tightened to a specific torque, the torque required to release it may be greater if it has fretted or corroded. If this is the case, consider a torque rating 20%-30% greater than the specified tightening torque to assist in releasing the fixing.

5. Buying the wrong type of impact wrench
Similarly to mistake number 4, people often buy the wrong type of impact wrench. As discussed, each type has its advantages and disadvantages, depending on the application. For mechanics and other busy professionals, air tools have the advantage of having the best power to weight and volume ratio. For occasional home use, electric tools are a good option as they have a good power to weight ratio and are generally less expensive. Cordless tools are the only portable option but tend to be larger, heavier and more expensive than air or electric units.
Additional features such as a torque limiter, battery indicator or extended warranty should also be carefully considered to ensure you get the right tool for the job.

Our impact wrench reviews are designed to walk you through the decision making process and help you to avoid making these 5 common mistakes. After reading the reviews, if you are still unsure about which impact wrench is right for you, submit your question as a comment and we, or one of our members, will try to guide you. If your question still isn’t answered, please contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

Salutations Brother…far be it my intention to CPD as evidence in support of the CPD nor Modules within…I was merely responding to Hatter Scaffs and pointing out that £££££££££ would be payed out by the Scaffs for IW Training ( CISRS words )…

CPD is poppycock and balderdash, simply put, is pure magumba and the fight continues...

IW, perhaps, unwittingly created a monster, I'd rather cut off my right hand than take the bread from the mouths of my Brother Scaffolders Families…

Fraternal regards always…Brotherly love, Relief and Truth…

Gar...

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Hi Hatter Scaff…thanks for the info…

Manufacturers adapted there IW for Scaffolding Operations, rather than Developing an IW dedicated to Scaffs, that was their First mistake…Second mistake, did not develop and improve it…Third mistake, did not consult the Scaffolders…

Bottom Line is, if the wine is sour throw it out…and that goes for CPD...

I have had my Dewalt impact wrench for 6months. I use it for erecting and dismantling. Best thing i have bought to make my job easier. The days i can't be arsed getting the wrench out of my bag and just go at it with a spanner, are the days i see sense and realise the wrench is the way forward. As Alan says, fittings are to be tightened to around 50 nm. My wrench is sold as 200nm. If i do a brickys scaffold i can go round after and give all the uprights an extra tighten quite easily. I think that the overtightening comes from lack of confidence. You really have to be mental not to use one in this day and age. 😁

Sorry if I'm missing the point but that guide has feck all to do scaffolding , alright if your planning to change careers and work in a tyre shop

Sorry if I'm missing the point but that guide has feck all to do scaffolding , alright if your planning to change careers and work in a tyre shop

why dont you roll over and go back to sleep ,
if you dont think any think that makes our game easier aint gonna take over,
all i have heard from you on this thread is negativity,
what the fook do you actually know about scaffolding ?
because by your reply's to the lads you know fook all ?

Has anyone who has who's company that has been using IW's for a reasonable amount of time know of any incidents concerning "stretched fittings" ? We have been using them for approx 18 months now and haven't experienced anything like a slipped or dropped fitting. In my experience a slipped fitting is generally down to overloading or it not being done up in the 1st place!

Nah I don't know nothing fella coming from a scaff who don't know the difference from a foot tie and a blocking lift

Top Bottom