most beneficial course for a scaffolder

dertboll

Reaction score
i have my advanced, took me years to get there but now in the pocket, next step is ........

SSSTS
SMSTS
Scaffold Supervisor Course
Scaff tag & Inspection course

what is the next best step to get me up the ladder , im 50 years old and want to try get a cushy number in later years.

im too dunce for NEBOSH so thats out :eek:

what would you do ? cheers

Your getting long in the tooth now for turning a spanner so for me there would be 2 options if staying on the tools then go for your hgv2 as when uve had enough of humping gear about you can get urself a cusy job driving option 2 is to get your scaffold suppervisors tckt that will also have a couple add ons like the inspectors ticket etc plus a 1st aid qual & a harness inspectors tckt - then tout yourself out for a supervisors job with a local company,these normally come with a car as a perk & tbh with your years of experiance you should b snapped up but just remember it may not be as cushy as you thought it would be & normal has a fair ammount of stress & agro involved - which ever way you go - good luck with your future

Being site supervisor not a bad role you don't have to be on the tools ,

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

I took the Advanced inspection course as my way off of 35 years on the tools,it's not a bad number if you can get on a firm that employs a full time inspector.
I still do the odd day on the tools too if i haven't got enough inspections to do,works for me.

CISRS Supervisor course all day long.
The SSSTS, is pants, and SMSTS has nothing to do with scaffolding whatsoever, although a lot of Principal contractors like Balfours, Lendlease, Laing O Rourke like it, because it's good for them, but if you just work for a scaffold firm like Lyndon's/Trad/GKR, you want the CISRS course.
These firms are very rarely the PC, so the SMSTS is useless, hence why CISRS do the 5 day supervisor course. Virtually the same as SMSTS but no CDM regulations, as you don't need them when your not a PC.

CISRS Supervisor course all day long.
The SSSTS, is pants, and SMSTS has nothing to do with scaffolding whatsoever, although a lot of Principal contractors like Balfours, Lendlease, Laing O Rourke like it, because it's good for them, but if you just work for a scaffold firm like Lyndon's/Trad/GKR, you want the CISRS course.
These firms are very rarely the PC, so the SMSTS is useless, hence why CISRS do the 5 day supervisor course. Virtually the same as SMSTS but no CDM regulations, as you don't need them when your not a PC.

thanks mightymouse, but what you are saying is this - do not do the SMSTS ?

do the SSSTS , this is the way to go ?

lastly does the SSSTS involve inspection in the course or do i need do an inspection seperate, basic inspection or advanced inspection course

can anyone add.

thanks lads

The SMS is a good course to do and yes nearly all PC insists on you having it if your supervising a project for them , neither course include inspection you'll have to do that separate , but if you hold an advance card doing a inspection course is a waste of money

The most beneficial course for any scaffolder is the one where someone else foots the bill happy new year lads,ps where the fek is rb inside a silos thread gone have you seen his work

Make you right

get yourself advanced first aid for a start as its a preferred for employers.but better still do a riggers course.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

if your an advanced scaffolder why are you doing these inspection courses?

Bricklaying course would be a step in the right direction.

I've got every CISRS card and been on more courses than I care to remember every now and again I get a decent job with them but most of the time advanced scaffold card is enough and is all the gaffer in charge has until CISRS make it mandatory to have inspection card to sign a tag or have supervisor card to supervise then there a money maker and not worth there cost or hassle SMSTS more widely recognised and cheaper good luck

Top Bottom