SMSTS course

harvey

Reaction score
Can any the guys give me the heads up regarding the CITB SMSTS course.

How hard did you find it , what parts of the 5 day course did you find the most difficult and has it helped secure project position on the back of it.

Cheers

Absolutely pointless for a scaffolder, scaffold company's are very rarely the principal contractor, so the SMSTS course is useless to us, as it includes CDM regulations, which is pointless to us.
CISRS however have their own version, CISRS Supervisor course, still a 5 day course, but aimed towards scaffolding obviously, all the Principal Contractors recognise it along side SMSTS, so your fine.

Most foreman or supervisor jobs down south say smsts or sssts maybe because you will be working with a lot of different trades not seen any saying scaffolding supervisor card but a think ull need it for most industrial jobs soon.

My point exactly, if you are working for the PC, you would benefit no doubt, as you need some knowledge of the CDM regulations, but a scaffolder has no need for it whatsoever, which is why CISRS do the 5 day supervisor course, exact same course but no CDM units.
Balfours, Laing O Rourke, Lendlease etc ask for SMSTS, why, they are PC.
You'll never see the likes of "Lyndon's" asking for SMSTS.

what does SMSTS stand for ,
Site Manager Safety Training scheme ,
unless your a site manager then its not really relevant or specific to scaffolding ,
where as the CISRS Supervisor course covers almost the same stuff but is geared towards scaffolding specifically,
up until now the SMSTS was your only choice.

it's true it's got nothing to do with scaffolding. Only the sheeple idiots do it because they think it will automatically qualify them as a scaffold manager.pathetic really

Tbh guys i gotta disagree - ok so theres not much use for the average scaffolder but if your a company owner or want to start on a poss change into H&S then the smsts is invaluble in both information & is far more recognised within the building industry...also if it means putting less money in Dave mosleys & Co's pockets

Southern, what are you talking about, read his post, he's talking about a scaffolder having SMSTS.
Who mentioned owning a company or H&S

Gents I believe thre are 2 courses with the same abreviations. Site Management for one and Scaffold Management for the second. Scaffold management can only be done at a C.I.S.R.S accridted training provider. Both hold the S.M.S.T.S. I only know this a s I booked the wrong course. Ha hahaha

Gents I believe thre are 2 courses with the same abreviations. Site Management for one and Scaffold Management for the second. Scaffold management can only be done at a C.I.S.R.S accridted training provider. Both hold the S.M.S.T.S. I only know this a s I booked the wrong course. Ha hahaha
No there's not u idiot

Southern, what are you talking about, read his post, he's talking about a scaffolder having SMSTS.
Who mentioned owning a company or H&S

I mentioned it why is that a problem! As i stated theres not much use for it if youre just a scaff but if u wish to proress to management or change over to a h&s role then the ifo you gain from it far surpasses the scaffold supervisors course. & as earlier stated it seems its being asked for more &more

lads what is the difference between SSSTS & SMSTS courses, i beginning to see these everywhere now on job ads .

Top Bottom