Simian risk (1 Viewer)

Daryldavies

Reaction score
On Monday I had inspection on my site from simian risk.

I wasn't to bothered about as we work to pretty high standard and we always do jobs tidy.

3 major things found

House keeping.
Ties not straight
And 7 tubes not at least 25mm out of a single

All in all if that's the worst they can find.happy days.

Has anyone else had experience with outside inspectors.what sort of stuff have they reported

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Unauthorised removal of Scaffolding Component parts is usually high on the list which covers ties...

If that's all that was found then i would say your doing a very good job,obviously they had to find something to justify their visit and those 3 things are the norm for most jobs.
If i was your boss i'd give you all a good drink,thankfully i'm not and i can keep my hands in my pocket.

On Monday I had inspection on my site from simian risk.

I wasn't to bothered about as we work to pretty high standard and we always do jobs tidy.

3 major things found

House keeping.
Ties not straight
And 7 tubes not at least 25mm out of a single

All in all if that's the worst they can find.happy days.

Has anyone else had experience with outside inspectors.what sort of stuff have they reported

Once on a job in Aberystwyth the other year. An inspector trying to tell me the method on how to clamp on whilst erecting as he were a safety officer. I told him in a few choice words to do his job and inspect the scaffold, not to lecture lads on how to put the bloody thing up safely. I wouldnt mind but I WAS clamped on but he disagreed with the method, maybe to score himself a few brownie points with the site manager. Idiot.
And just for the record the clown wasnt from Simian Risk, I had no idea who sent him.:huh:

Took what he's said on board but like you said they have to justify there job.i wouldn't like to know how much he cost.

£50 would be around the mark,although many charge by the half/full day from what i've come across.

That's about £40 over paid

Thing is the inspectors don't have to justify their wage do they?

It's a statutory inspection, so even if your scaffold was perfect someone would still be needed to do an inspection; and an independent inspection will carry more weight than if the same scaffold company did it.

we had erected a small temporary roof a few years ago and i got a call that the safety officer wasnt happy with a few things,
i was only around the corner on another job so turned up whilst he was still on site ,
his biggest grumble was a sole board wasnt the right size that was placed on a party wall ,
the standard was an 8 foot tube that was only carrying the monoflex on the side sheeting ,
i tried to explain that the tube wasnt load bearing but he wouldnt have it so i undid the double and pulled the tube up 2 inch and took the sole board and base plate out , he said you cant do that hahhaha so he got told to feek of i just done it

Your one must of gone straight from uni to inspectors course then straight to your site lol.i appreciate they have jobs to do and the rules are the rules but sometimes they should be realistic.sometimes the rules don't work and u have to think outside the box

Your one must of gone straight from uni to inspectors course then straight to your site lol.i appreciate they have jobs to do and the rules are the rules but sometimes they should be realistic.sometimes the rules don't work and u have to think outside the box

Scaffold inspectors don't need to be university educated.
Congrats on your inspection Darryl 😂

Wouldnt exactly say that Daryl. As for scaffolding inspecters in the past few years with Simian in particular, the inspectors usually consisted of old school scaffs that reached the end of their days on the spanner and were trying to get into another line of the trade. You must have either copped with a new generation wannabe or the site management must have told a few tales. :laugh:

Housekeeping ? Surely that's the users problem/issue.
At the end of the day it's the easiest job in scaffolding I E FAULT FINDING
I never cease to find faults in other people's work never seem to notice it on my own jobs strangely enough;)

At the end of the day if you take pride in your work and profession then faults/issues found by a decent Scaffold Inspector will be minimal.
If a Transom or two is found to be not showing the minimum 25mm overhang then in all honesty on any decent sized job i'd take that as a job well done as they will pretty much always find something if they know their stuff.

its always gonna be the easiest thing to find fault with ,
how many times you found a sleeve on a hemp in the way of a stop end ,
so you either use a clip or stick it under but the the height is 2 inchs out ,
the trouble with our game is we are dictated all the time when we in fact now what works ,
how many times over the years have us older lot be asked to throw something up as it will only be there for an hour ,
makes me wonder sometimes why we dont just say no mate we need a drawing and calcs and its gonna cost you £500 plus a week to get the drawing .
if definitely aint the same game it was 33 years ago .

i got thrown of a site 3 years ago by a safety officer because i went to see how the lads were getting on with a temporary roof ,
the lads where fixing the truss beams which where 18 m long and as i was standing there one of the boys came under pressure as the beam whipped on him,
so i jumped up on the scaffold and helped him control it,
only for the safety officer to photograph me wearing no PPE on the scaffold ,
i tried to explain the situation could have been a lot worse if i hadn't jumped up but he threw me of site and told me i couldnt work there again ,
the thing is iam a working boss who truly loves his job and i spend most of my days on the tools ,
it took many emails and phone calls to explain if i ant work there then my lads aint gonna work there,

sorry lads i have had a few pints this evening but it just jarrs me that common sense just dont come into anymore ,
and all our years of experience counts for nothing :(

No need to apologise mate i think most of us that have been in the game for a long time have seen some thing's change for the better, but that many other things have gone way beyond common sense.

Safety officers can be too anal retentive. Sometimes it can be more productive to take the offending person to one side discuss the offence and let the matter drop.

Years ago I drove home, a little over the limit, after taking a young lady home. I was half way home at Finsbury Park and ran an Amber light to be followed by two flashing blue ones.
Pulled over, I got out and had a short discussion with the officers who invited me to blow up a breathalyzer - which indicated a fail.
On that the officer realizing I would lose my job, car and future, said that they would follow me partway home and assess my driving. If it was dangerous they would pull me over again and take me to the station.
We drove down towards Tottenham and my right turn towards Stamford Hill. As I turned right they flashed their lights and carried on to Tottenham.
That was 1973 and I have never driven after drinking since.

Times may have changed somewhat but The 2nd chance given to me that day was more productive than any punishment I would have taken.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom