Citb / cisrs (1 Viewer)

outward bound

Reaction score
this is food for thought CITB or CISRS...

Many Many years ago when I completed my scaffolding courses at Bircham Newton, the course was run and delivered by the CITB - with a CITB plastic card issued on completion stating basic or advanced. some years after the CISRS undertook the scheme and issued the CISRS cards. The course contents, aims and objectives were kept the same with some minor things being changed through the years. the point is for me the CITB was the original founder of the scaffold courses which progressed into what we have today.

Comments were made on scaff-mags website about the above conversation its a shame that CITB decided to stand back after what many people have paid for the courses. unfortunately the training in the middle east lasts for 1 week while the training in the uk lasts 2 weeks per course.

it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the above

To be fair outward, i know a few scaffs who could spend a year on a course and still be sh1te. I am curently working with Malay scaffs and Pilippine scaffs. Tbh certain individuals could and would put british scaffs to shame.

Agreed the level of knowledge from there original training course may not be indepth compared to the UK, but, do you learn everything you know on courses or is it on the park you gain your front line experience?

My original card is made of cardboard. On the front cover it says both CITB and NASC.
Inside the reg number is 332. I got it in 1968 when working with SGB and a couple of years later I went to South Africa with them.
No one ever told be about my 'grandfathers' right to an advanced ticket so when I returned I still had the same card which was actually marked as a Part one, even though I had done the Part two course.
Not only that, I was told it was redundant as CISRS had taken over. I became a scaffolding contractor instead which, ironically, didn't need any ticket at all.
When I moved to Ireland I had to do the CITB courses all over again. The exact same courses that were offered in Bircham Newton.
As it sstands now, nither seem to be fully international tickets even though I have done them twice! Also, if I wanted to progress the UK stuff with things like an advanced Inspection course, I can't, I have to start all over again.
Of course in Ireland the 'SOLAS' courses are a legal requirement and as such are recognised through the European RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) Directive. Because the NASAC, the CITB and CISRS are more interested in protecting their own position, GB does not recognise any other EU scaffolder qualifications and as such their courses, although desirable, are NOT a legal requirement to erect and dismantle scaffolding.
The law in GB only states that a "competent person" can erect scaffolding which does of course include a training element. It does NOT have to be the CISRS training. A European ticket, forwarded with an application to the RPL office in the UK https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=...Ebxlee-Jv1-QkS5fbkRrWA&bvm=bv.133178914,d.ZGg , means a letter can be obtained stating the equivalent level of GB training it represents.

Hi Dennis, that's the answer I was looking for with regards to the CITB - the CITB was the original founders of the uk course. People seem to forget that they are only a training provider. Not an association or affiliation I agree the principles around the CISRs and CITB is good - too much political power is a bad thing.

I agree that the courses don't provide experience or competency but merely goes towards helping the employer determining competency. learning the job on site is the only real way to go to train people up although the training course play an essential part in their basic foundation of learning the industry. but as long as the training is given to the correct standard then it really should not matter who provides it providing it is in with a standard etc

In the Netherlands you can obtain and advanced qualification in 5 days. From not obtaining any other previous. Supervisory qualification if your level of communication is good.
Soes this mean they are competent and able to aplly.for said RPL equivalent? Thus mean they can work on our shores?

Whilst moving the office i was going through a load of old paperwork & craap that had gathered in draws etc & found my original pt2 from the 80s & guess what i remembered the instructor saying to me " this will last you your entire scaffolding career - thats why theres no run out date on it" pml how wrong was he...god knows how many upgrades,revisions & upgrades ive taken to it since the cisrs took the helm lol

Top Bottom