I have been asked to price a church tower 30m high

As 90% our work is normally 2m up to 12m

Dose anyone have a square M rate formula for working above 12m

OR IS THIS TOP SECRET ?

Top Secret, gods work is never cheap :)

but beware over 20m check with your insurer
also a church, also check with your insurer
and you'll probably need a design
the biggest problem with these jobs is adding on the labour to carry, hoist and lower materials, its just a shot in the dark

It's only 100ft high Hatterscaff ,
One good rope man and up she goes,

More importantly be careful as most church's are charity registered and VAT excempt ,
And if you don't charge the VAT on the material element the VAT man will still want his cut

It's only 100ft high Hatterscaff ,
One good rope man and up she goes,

More importantly be careful as most church's are charity registered and VAT excempt ,
And if you don't charge the VAT on the material element the VAT man will still want his cut

On a spire i wouldn't imagine you'll be working directly for the church, they'll be an architect involved who will have sent out the tenders for pricing through a MC. We'll just invoice the MC as normal and never no problems. There is a good chance that the H.L.F are involved for funding , so think of this when you price it, sometimes over 12 months before some of them roll in and get confirmed. Most of the stuff we do is church/historical building works, you'll need 5 million public and employers liability as a minimum, we have 5 and 10 and most architects specify that in tender docs. Don't forget you'll also need to secure it at the base, normally up to a height of 5m from ground but a minimum of 3.6m, with tin sheets or some other type of hoarding as they are only insured for £1,000 for lead theft. But again, it will be mentioned in the architects spec. Allow some titivation on the way down as well, ties to be patched during strip so you'll have to leave lifts safe for them to get access for pointing.

I add 50% of the squarage price over 40ft and add 100% over 80ft. So if you were charging £100 a sq it would be £150 a sq over 40ft and £200 a square over 80ft. Hope this helps.

man on the rope at the bottom man on the rope at top pulling with the bottom man ,and spreading the gear and a man fixing ,make your rope never ending so the bottom man pulls it back down ,easy

Last edited:
Pokerface if your using cuplock price a telescopic forks into job. Gets the stuff up 20m quickly or hoist. Rope works well with tube but not with cuplock IMO.
I think tubes can work better than system on church towers as you can end up with a lot of small bays to get it to fit well with system
As stated check your insurance and design costs
As for price it depends on job

just up your metre rate by 15% on each lift. Or better still let your lads scaffold and get forks on it. quicker and will work out cheaper than hand balling gear

100ft 5/6 men chain boards and tube up and 2/3 labourers working the short gear up and 2/3 fixing I done a side off a church for windows 40by40 in London charged 180 a sq I normal charge 80-120 charge more because off all the paper work you have to do and because you need all the insurance

One word of advice get a hoist even a 500kg geda one it will make it a lot smoother and up production, you can ere ct them yourselves as your taking the job up keep adding sections, I ve done a good few churches,historical buildings and jobs over a 100ft and rope and wheel is just to slow to keep a steady production going

Top Bottom