Cpd (1 Viewer)

I think i will change career become brain surgeon. Less training involved

Was on a site last week working with a Dutch lad who only had Dutch tickets. The client accepted his certification was good enough to work on their sites. Seems that they are waking up to CISRS ********, as I have said in the past there is no requirement to hold any type of CISRS card to erect scaffolding in the UK.

Correct DS, you can do anything without tickets it`s when things go a bit pear shaped and accreditation is asked for that things get naughty, by all means an employer can employ someone with tickets from abroad but he`s on to plums if something goes wrong, that`s why the CISRS have got us by the baws.

Correct DS, you can do anything without tickets it`s when things go a bit pear shaped and accreditation is asked for that things get naughty, by all means an employer can employ someone with tickets from abroad but he`s on to plums if something goes wrong, that`s why the CISRS have got us by the baws.

His tickets show he has been trained in the use of T&F . The company have trained him on SG4 . If anything went pair shaped he's in the same boat as anyone with a CISRS card. He can prove competence in the structures he's building and that's all that's needed.

To be a qualified scaffolder you need a nvq or equivalent. A cisrs card don't mean you are competent. My old man got his cisrs cards in the 60's and 70's but he has no nvq. My local college do nvq's in scaffolding (12 weeks at college over 3 yr period) but you won't get a cisrs card. In the eyes of law the college kids would be deemed more competent. 50 years of experience counts for nothing. I do believe that nvq's are a European wide qualification so the Dutch bloke would be just as competent as anyone here as long as he has a nvq.

I agree with what you say, a card does not make someone competent, the competency is deemed from the employer by law, what goes towards competency is training and qualifications. The idea of the NVQ is to gain on site experience while completing your qualification. N.V.Qs were never designed to be college based. To my knowledge you cant complete a N.V.Q. by only Attending college. the basic understanding of CPD is to fill in the gaps of knowledge that scaffolders don't receive when things change or when there is new guidance notes. The main aspect of the CPD is the cost aspect which the scaffolder`s are not happy about.

The Main Aspect Of The CPD Is Not Only The Cost , Its The Fact That Its Another Layer Of ******** Thought Up By Trainers Who Have Never Worked On Site For Years, And Who In The Interest Of Safety Have Introduced More Crap To Screw Us Over,

Make no mistake Gerscaff, this was not dreamt up by trainers. This is a CISRS thing, and it should be obvious to all by now they are not trainers.

His tickets show he has been trained in the use of T&F . The company have trained him on SG4 . If anything went pair shaped he's in the same boat as anyone with a CISRS card. He can prove competence in the structures he's building and that's all that's needed.

I know that through my CISRS number all my training and competency can be easily accessed and checked ( the whole point of the scheme in my opinion) I don`t think this is the case with any other type of scaffolding tickets, I could be wrong but I don`t think so.

No he can't and no it's not.

Like I said there is no legal requirement to hold a CISRS card in this country for erecting scaffolding. You only need to prove you are competent. Having worked for safety and access for 4 and half years and providing expert witness support. I can tell you now he can provide evidence that he has competency in the structures he is putting up.

Look mate I don`t want to get into an argument hear but if that`s the way your firm goes about it`s bussiness fair enough but I think the guy may struggle for a start with any other firms. The reason there is a hu ha about this new CPD course is guys will struggle to get a start without doing it, unless we go down your course of argument and all get ourselves Dutch cards with no renewal and confirmation from our firms that we are up to date with latest policy. I just don`t see it working when your next employer asks to see your tickets. The reason we have lawyers is that the law can be interpretated in many ways, I will stick to my position and you can stick to yours,

Like I said there is no legal requirement to hold a CISRS card in this country for erecting scaffolding. You only need to prove you are competent. Having worked for safety and access for 4 and half years and providing expert witness support. I can tell you now he can provide evidence that he has competency in the structures he is putting up.

Oh well, if you have done a few years with Rick, you must be an expert. Although, if I'm honest and I was involved in the loosing side where you were "providing expert witness support" I would be planning an appeal. ;)

Top Bottom