Methods now being taught

• Thread starter southernpoofter
  • Start date
S

southernpoofter

Ive just seen this on another forum & thought i'd cut &paste it over here & see what u guys think.

Just had lads back from there part 2 and the instructor up there has told them two things.

1 - Dead men have to go on the inside of the scaffold now.
2 - Braces in the base shouldn't hit the ground because the swivel can lift the standard.

Anyone else recently been through and can confirm this?

Braces into soil or not into soil? Hitting floor or not? Scaffs! Ha Ha!!! Dead men on inside rip ankles on single.

Last edited:
So what are you actually saying then sadact - other than ha ha

The braces hitting the floor topic is a huge debate on our firm. Some say it improves stability and some say lift them as they are easier to alter if need be. All down to personal preference if you ask me. As for dead men on the inside, yeah fairplay avoids any part ones or below mistakingly stripping one and it falling but then again a trip hazard or obstacle on the working lift. Both petty snags if you ask me to be honest.

I heard the same but it must be a year ago now or more. The way I heard it, a trainee dropped one on his instructor and until the investigation was completed dead men were to go on the inside. I'm reliably informed that normal service has been resumed and they are now fitted back to the outside. The swivel thing has caused much debate with lots of different theories put forward to back up the individuals personal belief. I think the worst example I've heard quoted was that brace touching spoiled the kenetic flow of the load to the ground. The truth is, it doesn't matter, no matter what the old boy who taught you said.

i have always put the brace on the base lift to the ground, how does the swivel lift the brace ?
the only thing i have seen that lifts the brace is if the double is not upside down or the double is touching the standard double .

i hate dead men since i almost lost one many years ago while i was striking ,
i alway put them on as puncheons.

i was led to believe that on support or heavy duty scaffolds all bracing should be off the floor to make sure all the weight is transferred through the standards and with dead men the top double is always put on upside down to identify its a dead man.

6 months ago was told the same on an advanced inspection course in Erith.. Now the toe board falls off rather than the dead man��

i was led to believe that on support or heavy duty scaffolds all bracing should be off the floor to make sure all the weight is transferred through the standards and with dead men the top double is always put on upside down to identify its a dead man.

Exactly mate. Not hard is it?

I HAVE ALWAYS DONE BOTH DOUBLES UPSIDE DOWN on dead men,as you cant account for idiots.
as for the bracing debate i would predume any load transferred through a brace hitting the deck will only make the standard stronger.In the same way as whenever possible i will have tubes hitting walls,Trannys jammed between windows ETC;)

Top Bottom