Can a non-scaffolder Remove Scaffold Boards (1 Viewer)

Duke996

Reaction score
Good morning gents, new member here. Not a scaffolder myself and I'm here to hopefully pick the brains of the experts.

We have a multi-stage scaffold and a large diameter cable passes through each stage. Our staff need access to the cable were it passes through each stage, and it has always been the case that the scaffold provider installs loose boards around the cable (i.e. not fixed down as the boards on which they site are). Our staff then move the boards back a sufficient distance for their needs (couple of hundred millimetre), and on completion put to boards back to close the gap around the cable.

Our client insists that only a qualified scaffolder should be moving the loose boards and putting them back around the cable. This seems excessive for moving a couple of loose boards away from the cable approx. 200mm.

My question is therefore, is this correct, should the boards only be moved by a qualified scaffolder? If not, and it is acceptable for our staff to move the boards back a short distance from the cable, is there any guidance literature on this topic that I can show to the client?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Why not mitigate the risk by administrative means by signs etc. Risk assess the situation. Scaffolding is supposed to be fit for purpose what ever the standards say. I am not saying leave an unprotected penetration in a working deck but in these health and safety mad times we need to put the onus back on the scaffold user to properly carry out a risk assessment as he is the scaffold user.

I dont think theres any hard and fast rulel about moving boards,as simple as it looks,but have seen boards moved by others replaced incorrectly, ie lapping ,traps etc,your insurance and hs may have something to say if an accident happens.

Scaffolding can only be altered by a competent person, maybe ask your scaffolding contractor to go through the process with your men on how the boards should be lifted and then replaced have both sides sign a documentant stating they have been shown the correct way so that they can be deemed competent for this procedure and use harness fall protection also whilst boards are flipped. Include this in your risk assessment.
Seems a bit excessive but once done surely it must be easier than calling the scaffold contractor out every time to flip the boards over.

Last edited:
There is a 2 day course for making adjustments to scaffolds that u cud put ur staff through. I think that Wud cover u

Gents, many thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Derryscaff, don't suppose you have a link for the course you mentioned?

Or you could charge your client and have a man in attendance you tight feck. :amazed:

Contact citb or ur nearest training provider they will provide details

Why do you need to have the job close boarded anyway? Can you not just set the job up so that the boards are positioned with enough clearance to do your work and get a handrail erected around the void??
Flipping/moving/altering boards is still altering the scaffold, most if not all site inductions tell you that the only people allowed or able to alter scaffolding are scaffolders.
Say you take the boards out, do your work, then your lads put the boards back, but one of them doesn't hit the but joint and leaves a trap, someone then stands on the trap and falls through and damages his leg. Scaffolders insurance doesn't cover this, MC insurance doesn't cover this as you've not followed site induction, thats you then fooooked.

Welcome to the Scaffolders Forum Duke996. I trust you found your answer. It does seem that whoever you nominate to move and replace the boards, for safety and insurance sake, they will need to prove a level of basic scaffolding competence.
Historically it used to be acceptable for the scaffold user to adapt boarding to suit his ongoing works however H&S has tightened exponentially since those days.

There is no 2 day course from the citb or otherwise that would qualify you to move boards or carry out any sort of adaptions. The CISRS scheme is quite clear on who should carry out what.

We had similar situation were we erected a scaffold and they had to move boards during the job. The contractor put his men through a 2 day so they cud make minor adjustments. Not sure the exact details but the plant accepted it. I'm sure it was through citb. I took it to b something like a house builders course or something like that. The company we worked for has since went so can't find out exactly

At one time the CITB did offer a hop-up course to allow site operatives to move them up and down for system only. This however has long gone as CISRS strengthened their grip on our trade. The only possible option for someone wanting to carry out some works and still avoid the traditional CISRS scheme would be a BASE course but even that would be difficult as it's for system only up to a maximum 6m high and no interface with the public so a fenced site only.

COPPERKNACKERS hit the nail on the head Duke the cables should have an opening with guardrail and toeboards that way no one needs to move any boards ;)

Apologies for late response, intermittent access to the web. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond, very helpful insight into the topic for a non-scaffolder. Don't want to do a long description of the task, but handrails aren't feasible as it would block the level of access the lads need around circumference of cable where it passes through stages when doing prep work.

As someone suggested, we'll have to stop being tight foooks and pay a scaffolder to stand around scratching his arse.

AH oor swifty has hit the nail on the head
The main contractor should never have put you and your men in such a compromising position,HE WILL HAVE KNOWN THAT ITS A SCAFFOLDERS JOB TO MOVE BOARDS OR ANY ALTERATIONS TO THE SCAFFOLDS ON SITE.
Thanks for the post and joining in oor wee forum Duke;)

I'm glad you've seen sense Duke. If you're going to ride a bike like that the last thing you need is a bump falling through a man trap.
That would be embarrassing.

Scaffolder in attendance is the correct answer. Moving boards can be classed as an adaption. An unaware and untrained operative may well place the board back incorrectly, creating a trap with potentially deadly results....

If u have a brickie on site I'm sure they will do it as they seem to think they can do what the feck they like!!

As someone suggested, we'll have to stop being tight foooks and pay a scaffolder to stand around scratching his arse.

This is your safest bet, the responsibility for ensuring a safe platform is still on the scaffolder, moving things yourselves could mean the handover is invalid and any cock ups would be on you.

Top Bottom