Layer erection output question.

jonnyoneye

Reaction score
Morning all !
I have little experience of the Layer system scaffold and wonder what a rough rate of erection might be expected from a gang of three erecting a straightforward independent off level ground with good access and gear all within a few metres of the erection area ?
A good friend in Europe has asked me, as he is a bit surprised by the quote that he has had for some access work that he requires and thinks that the hours he has been given for completing the work, are far too high for what is involved.
From what he tells me, the job is about 120m long, by 8m high, by 1.5 wide, with all lifts boarded. The company that have quoted him have said that it will take around 48 hours to erect with a gang of three and half that to dismantle, making a total of 216 hours, plus delivery and removal costs which are fixed amounts. As the company are insisting on being paid by the hour at nearly 70 Euros an hour, it all seems rather expensive to me. I'm guessing that only erecting 10 cu mtr an hour is far too low and probably around 3 to 4 times that is achievable from an experienced gang on a straight forward job.
Anyway, as I have not had much experience of the system, I'm hoping that someone on here with more exposure to it might give me some guidance so that I can pass it back to him.
Thanks in anticipation,
John.

So its 6 days at 8 hours a day?
120m long is 40 x 3m bays so I'd say it sounds about right to me Jonny.

SM-G930F (which is better than grimmyscaff's)

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Obviously they aren't gonna knock their pan out and do it in less if it's hourly anyway.

SM-G930F (which is better than grimmyscaff's)

I Wud hav expected better output than 160m2 a day from layher on straight forward job as described.

I hav never worked with layher but was told it was really quick. For the cost of it compared to tube or even other systems I was expecting fast erection times to make it worth while

Worked with it a few times. There are a lot of components and at the end of the day it's up to the company to decide how long it will take/what they'll charge. Whether they get the job though. . .
It's a very expensive system to buy from what I hear also.

It's 120m x 8m high so 400ft a lift. Layher uses standard 2m lifts( can use other lift heights)
So if it's over 6 days it's about 260 ft a day or 80m.

Morning all !
I have little experience of the Layer system scaffold and wonder what a rough rate of erection might be expected from a gang of three erecting a straightforward independent off level ground with good access and gear all within a few metres of the erection area ?
A good friend in Europe has asked me, as he is a bit surprised by the quote that he has had for some access work that he requires and thinks that the hours he has been given for completing the work, are far too high for what is involved.
From what he tells me, the job is about 120m long, by 8m high, by 1.5 wide, with all lifts boarded. The company that have quoted him have said that it will take around 48 hours to erect with a gang of three and half that to dismantle, making a total of 216 hours, plus delivery and removal costs which are fixed amounts. As the company are insisting on being paid by the hour at nearly 70 Euros an hour, it all seems rather expensive to me. I'm guessing that only erecting 10 cu mtr an hour is far too low and probably around 3 to 4 times that is achievable from an experienced gang on a straight forward job.
Anyway, as I have not had much experience of the system, I'm hoping that someone on here with more exposure to it might give me some guidance so that I can pass it back to him.
Thanks in anticipation,
John.
The hours are right on the money for the estimating purpose, although a good gang could do it quicker than that. I use 1.5 hours per imperial square ( 10-ft x 10-ft) to erect and half of that to dismantle. My book on estimating is at the publishers and ready to go soon. SCI | Scaffolding Consultants International.

Thank you all for your input.
It seems that the quote he has is probably not too far out, so i will advise him to negotiate a little harder and see what he can get it down to.
Thanks again.
J

Thanks HSWT.

It is industrial cladding work in Germany and i have left it to him to try and re-negotiate a better overall price that the one that he was faced with originally. I've heard nothing further from him over the weekend, so cannot update here, but at the end of the day, he will have to pay whatever the contractors there want to do the job i suppose.
Thanks for your interest anyway.
Regards,
J

We sell the Plettac Contur System which is a similar product to Layher. I'd quote 2.5m per man hour for a base lift and then 5m per man hour for further lifts above. This would give 120 Hours to errect. To dismantle you normally get it down 1.5 times as fast so in total I think you would be around 200 hours. Divide that by 3 men in the gang and You get 66.6 hours to errect and strip?

The main time consuming bits with layher are the accesses we used T&f ladder tied twice double guardrail toe board behind ladder swing gate and dont forget about ties if it wasn't for they 2 things it would fly up

Access on system can be quicker through if you use the access decks they are a really good bit of kit.

Are the suppliers telling us how much we should do in a day now?

yes get your fingers out ;-)

Honestly though we just work on figures given to us by our customers.

Top Bottom