Useing step up system info (1 Viewer)

grafter

Reaction score
Been told going to have to use step up for a job comeing up is there a certain sequence to use it to make life easier and whats measurement of hand rail height for to hook over and anything else worth knowing

Top guardrail is 42/43" bolt to bolt from ledger mate. No difference from normal handrail height.

SM-G930F (which is better than grimmyscaff's)

Look our for the manufactures instructions from the supplier or download the free copy of sg4:15 from the nasc website ' i'm sure theres something in there if not you'll have ti insert a section into your RAMs once youve completed a risk assesment on their use

Be sure to bring to attention in your rams that you will be moving from a fully boarded lift of 45" to a step of 18" which is basically classed as a step ladder. Which in itself is regulated for light duty only .

Last edited:
Scaff step ain't a new thing should be already using it and know what heights you need!!! :rolleyes:

I Have Used It Once Steve, When I Was Subbieing To Interslave We Had To Buy Them They Have Sat In My Garage Ever Since The Safety Bloke Decided They Were Not Compatible With Kwikstage, Suits Us , We Just Use The Short Lift That Seems To Suit Most People Nowadays

Have never been asked to use one and never seen other company's useing either and just wanted to know the method / sequence / measurements for a up comeing job cheers and to the fella saying you should be useing anyway we should do a lot of things but we all know time is money and if we did stick to every rule in book we would all be out of work just the way it is I'm afraid

Its just one of several approved methods SG4 is "Scaffold guidance" TG is "Technical guidance" from the NASC

Be careful what step you get as some are designed for systems with 500 centres. Best one out there IMO is the COMBISAFE. It can be used for systems and T+F. Been some bad feed back regarding these things as the potential is to fall off them. Funny that a scaff will happily go down a 21ft dropper but all of a sudden screams danger danger when he's asked to use a step.

Local labour

Guidance if its from the NASC they aren't a government body but they all seem to buy into it

was a long running debate on this for a while,since the inventor of the step was a nasc director.in whose interests it was to sell. slipped in to must use catagory. probly quite a useful tool tho never used one,or seen one used.

Yeh I know but remember you don't have to use the step to install what is effectively an advanced guardrail system. You can use the half lift or short lift system to achieve same results. Lots of debate about their safety from the lads ie slippery when wet and you can still come off them. Picture this, big hairy assed scaff walks into the gaffers office " Boss I'm happy to slide down a long and onto a T piece 200ft up but Boss I'm just not sure about that dodgy wee step thing" rofpmsl

Ahh amigo, theres a difference between a scaff with experience doing a job in front of them.( dropper) And some muppet telling you you must use a tool to put the next lift up.
seriously,does the job stop, if you aint got one.

I'm pretty sure they are just trying to show means of putting in an advanced guardrail and making life safer for us, however would the job stop ??? got to get it started first lol

Top Bottom