Havs

Double-Standards

Reaction score
Anyone done an assessment on impact wrench usage with regards to vibration white finger.

Morning HSWT hope you are keeping well. Having a spell on the spanners myself :). Contemplating using an impact wrench but I have mild arthritis in my fingers not sure which is worse spanner or wrench.

Anyone done an assessment on impact wrench usage with regards to vibration white finger.

Yes I have. Only 30 mins usage in an 8hr shift. That's not regulations (Because there isn't any) That's the maximum actual time a 2 + 1 gang pull the trigger.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Morning HSWT hope you are keeping well. Having a spell on the spanners myself :). Contemplating using an impact wrench but I have mild arthritis in my fingers not sure which is worse spanner or wrench.

Morning DS

I suffer from mild arthritis in my fingers as well. Apparently caused by sitting in the office drinking tea whilst tapping away on Facebook all day.
Get out occasionally to watch the boys and their spanners. Can't see the drills catching on here as too much system. To be fair they do wonders with it here.

I suppose you could spread 30 minutes into a whole shift. thats not a lot of time. I thought it was 2 hrs max on a kango, a much heavier vibration. Tho,no regs, for scaffs. carpenters use them all day. drives me nuts!1??

Although we don't issue them, some of our lads have chosen to use impact wrenches so as a Company we've had to carry out a risk assessment using the HSE vibration calculator and the manufacturers data. From memory, the new Makita DTW281 had the worst vibration level, but assuming an average of 5 seconds per fitting it still allowed for nearly an hour and a half trigger time, or about a thousand fittings before reaching the daily vibration limit. The noise limit without wearing hearing protection was reached first in about half that time.

Our collected data for the havs section in our rams shows the same as marks. Tbh 1000 fittings a day although achivable is unlikely but due to the 87dbs upper level being reached , all our guys are issued with earplugs. We also put in the nasc's test sheet & statement

Top Bottom