Talour Wimpey

S

southernpoofter

Have any you guys done work for taylor wimpey - we've been asked to price up a site but ive heard horror stories about some of these house bashing builders & wondered what they were like for payments & expectations etc - ant help appreciated

Haven't worked with Taylor Wimpey for quite a few years now but I don't think they would have changed much. The problems I encountered were abysmal programming which meant we would have no work on site for a while then sudden demands for labour and materials at the drop of a hat. Payments were by pro-forma stage payments signed off by the agent, so you had nothing available to allow payment of additional hires. With additional works we found the best way to proceed was price the work and get them to issue a pro-forma before the work commenced, any other way led to dispute and a reduced payment - if any. Daywork is also a problem, again, without a pro-forma it cannot be signed off for payment.
However if you keep the work simple it would be like a bread and butter meal. Good luck mate.

You will need a big brown envelope for the PM :nuts:

but once your in, it is bread & butter, rates not great and they ask for the world (when it suits them) they do pay on time but extras are a nightmare to get out of them

They have an agreement with a client to buy 15 units, so they start the site with this, once one is privately sold, they release the next 15 and it goes on like this until the job is finished or 15 units are unsold and it pauses

we have found there's better money to be made away from housing atm but good luck

Thx guys - just popped up outta the blue tbh & may be a nice little infill between my normal works - please tell me theyre not anti IW use though- it'd brake the boys goin back to spanners lol

Just been on one of there sites. Iw's are fine. Hope it goes well

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

They have previously been anti IW but have backed down.

They are generally ok, however they can be a right pain for wanting things done their way, even down to wanting specific size baseboards.

Daryl,I find working for the big house builders not worth the grief off the two day hero site managers and you always end up stung at final account,hope your well and good luck

I was offered to tender a couple of times SP but always declined after the horror story's I have heard about their pedantic ways

Yeh fine steve, long time since ive seen u on here, hows things with you - we had a bit of a mare with hmrc wanting 100k vat for newbuild proportionment but all sorted now -

Havent heard them yet phil lol but tbh most site works getting like that now - howd your yard move go m8

Yeh fine steve, long time since ive seen u on here, hows things with you - we had a bit of a mare with hmrc wanting 100k vat for newbuild proportionment but all sorted now -

Havent heard them yet phil lol but tbh most site works getting like that now - howd your yard move go m8

It nearly killed me SP as we had 2 weeks to get it done and we where busy as hell :laugh:
But it's all done now hopefully for the last time

Glad ur all sorted .looks like we're on the move now as well but the inspection nearly sent me to my grave phil - non compliancy payments to hmrc for vat on new builds! ....been goin on for 6months they wanted 100k &;i didnt wanba pay it lol- even though we dont charge hire they still wanted a apportionment of the contract price split for the materials only but not the labour content.its been a long road but sorted now

Last edited:
Glad ur all sorted .looks like we're on the move now as well but the inspection nearly sent me to my grave phil - non compliancy payments to hmrc for vat on new builds! ....been goin on for 6months they wanted 100k &;i didnt wanba pay it lol- even though we dont charge hire they still wanted a apportionment of the contract price split for the materials only but not the labour content.its been a long road but sorted now

That's good to get that behind you SP ,
I have always split new builds as the VAT man always wants his slice of the cake

Yeh some do & some dont it all depends if you charge hire on the job or not as its only the portion of your contract price that covers the hire element that ahould be vatable - well according to hmrc it is anyway, untill they decided that even if you dont calculate hire into your price or charge for in the way that we do as a fixed contract price than this is now liable for a split- however they offer no formula to work out the split or any other info on their web site to assist you to come up with a fair & reasonable split - talking to other SMEs they've all done circa 80/20 then pay 20%vat on the 20 split

What, sorry SP didn't understand that, we charge VAT on everyfuckinfing, did you not charge it and then they said you were liable for it? :mad:

Top Bottom