Building tube racks (1 Viewer)

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
We are about to start erecting our new racks any day now in our new yard ,

Quick question I have always erected racks on a meter square grid using class B doubles , but I have been told they are overloaded if full and should be on double sole boards even on solid concert (The racks we a erecting will be on a solid concrete slab .)

So

A. I shouldn't have to use sole boards ?
B. I have always assume that half the load of the rack shares the load with the adjacent cube ?
C. Would my 1 meter square rack be OK to hold the weights if full ?

C with sole boards

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As an apprentice is was shown 864mm centers all double to double. 17 tubes wide. 3 rows gives you 50 tubes. Cant back it up with any calcs. All ways worked for me.

You'll never join nasc if you don't get a design lol.
Which bright spark thought we're not capable of building racks ffs?

We are about to start erecting our new racks any day now in our new yard ,

Quick question I have always erected racks on a meter square grid using class B doubles , but I have been told they are overloaded if full and should be on double sole boards even on solid concert (The racks we a erecting will be on a solid concrete slab .)

So

A. I shouldn't have to use sole boards ?
B. I have always assume that half the load of the rack shares the load with the adjacent cube ?
C. Would my 1 meter square rack be OK to hold the weights if full ?

Morning Phillios,
Don't see many racks these days, that said:

A) if you are on a suitable concrete base you should not need sole boards, it is preferable to not use sole boards on something as long term as tube racks as the boards lay in the water and rot.
B) never assume anything, the load on your standard will be created by the load on the ledger either side, it is not quire as simple as 50/50 as there is a continuity factor to consider
c) NO, whilst it is common place to build racks on a 1m x 1m grid the loads are excessive.

If you build a grid on a 1m x1m x1m lift basis and fill it with 4mm tube you will get around 400 tubes in your box, that is 400m of tube which will weigh around 1800kg (say 18kN)
If you rack was only bay wide 50% of the load would go to each leg
If you rack is 2 bays wide the load in the middle standard could be as high as 62.5%
If you use a 6.4m tube to form you rack with 6 equal bays your result will differ again (I have attached examples )

In all cases you allowable bending will be in excess of the allowable and even erected fitting on fitting your class B couplers could also be overloaded.

You will of course be using a design which will cover all these points? :)
regards
Alan

Attachments

• Bend 1.JPG
    Bend 1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Bend 2.JPG
    Bend 2.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Bend 3.jpg
    Bend 3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
Problem is by the time Ben Beaumont from 48.3 has finished I won't have any kit left to put in the racks lol

Phil, The load on each "transom" that's actually supporting the tubes is limited to around 200 tubes over a 1.0m span. To prevent overloading you're better to construct a 1.0m x 1.0m grid on plan, with 600mm lift heights. You can then fix both the transoms and ledger to the standards on class B doubles, with the ledger below the transom to act as a check or supplementary coupler.

We use stillages for our tubes. They don't need designed and fork lift can move it around if needed. It much better than the racks. Just use 2 for longer tubes

Dame old shoiit phil -we're about to move as well & i know the old days of just erecting what you need when u need it are long gone its design all the way i'm afraid if you want to stay legit - i have also been told that when & if you were to go for NASC membership than they will ecpect to see a dwrg !

Problem is by the time Ben Beaumont from 48.3 has finished I won't have any kit left to put in the racks lol

That don't make him a bad man Phil but it will mean your racks would be correctly designed.
As stated the obvious has been stated, you could always put less in the rack, you could use a smaller grid you could use a different means of storage or you could get a bit of work and stand it up!!!!

Get the design Phil, inspectors including the council will slaughter you if you don't

be lucky
Alan

U Would think they design it for free if it's for your own yard and your giving them work. It's just a thought for any designers on here

Always was a bitter sweet experience, setting up new racking whether on a large site or a permanent place of business. Spend hours planning and re-planning measure re-measure, tweaking and in 50 years I was never a 100% happy with the outcome.

Worked for one firm that stored all it's gear in bespoke "racking", bit like you see in B&Q It worked as well as tube racking and was better in some aspects

There is something in my make up that cries you cannot tie up tube in racking, when it should be out making brass for you :noworry:

U Would think they design it for free if it's for your own yard and your giving them work. It's just a thought for any designers on here

I may be reading between the lines here Derry correct me if I am wrong, did you just offer to go and build it for nothing?

I was suggesting the designers shud design it for free for the scaffold company if they r giving them work. I know it's a long shot

Top Bottom