Impact Wrench Torque Settings

hescafff

Reaction score
A lot of our scaffolders are now using impact wrenches but all different types and makes. We have been asked by a few companies who have nothing better to do, for the torque settings. Some of them have even supplied tool box talk sheets for us to fill out with the tests. Anyone have a clue what the settings are or for each fitting ??????????

Thanks..

@ hescaff…good information from skyhook… I would recommend that you view ( Notes ) BS 1139…Torque Values optimum…

You can find more information on this subject in archives ? past posts…circa 2000...

As when you first start using a spanner an older hand will soon pull you up if you tor fittings are to loose or over done you quickly learn how tight they should be ,
It's the same with the IW you quickly learn when a fitting is tightened correctly ,
You will strip nuts to start with but yo soon learn how to " pulse" the IW instead of just holding it on and pushing a button

@ phillio…well put…the IW still requires human intellect to operate it correctly…the torque settings are not infallible…Couplers must be of serviceable quality ( threads, washer, nut, ect ) to achieve compliance...

the scaffolders spanner is 9 inch from the top of the box (at 90 degree ) to the bottom of the shaft for a reason
it gives the average man the correct torque on a scaffold fitting
thats all fittings ;)
get back to basics lads and you wont go wrong

Spanner for me lads

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Ok lets have a vote, spanner or impact wrench.

Used to be spanner. But now my wrists and hands ache most of the while it's impact wrench for ne

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I use both a spanner and an IW , the IW is a far better tool for us old fa rts with bad joints and aches and pains all over it really does make a difference ,
I think the young fellas should learn there game first as a spanner or an IW is only a tool for doing up nuts , it's knowing where the fittings go and why that's important ;)

As im an old fart myself and wrists not being the best will have to have a go with an iw see what there like

As im an old fart myself and wrists not being the best will have to have a go with an iw see what there like

Trust me brother you will fall in love with it :love:

I would say that it has knocked 10 years of me and I can once again keep up with the best of them without going home in bits ,
They are great for sheeting clips or gantrys where you have loads of doubles ,
Or if your striking a dirty brickies scaffold where the fittings are covered in their muck the IW just eats through them ,
I struck our old racks on my own somewhere between 800-1000 doubles that had been there for years and I struck it in an easy day without any aches or pains ;)

Cheers pal i will have to buy one

The regs state 50kn - & on some models there are settings as such-the nasc toolbox talk & online download include personal test sheets for logging practice & testing against a torque wrench prior to allowing this tool use on site -however in all my years i have never seen a saftey officer test fittings for torque from a spanner ! & one things for sure the use of an IW allows for more uniformity of fittings torque

The regs state 50kn - & on some models there are settings as such-the nasc toolbox talk & online download include personal test sheets for logging practice & testing against a torque wrench prior to allowing this tool use on site -however in all my years i have never seen a saftey officer test fittings for torque from a spanner ! & one things for sure the use of an IW allows for more uniformity of fittings torque
I agree with wot u sayin there because most of the young lads tie their fittings much too tight now adays using spanners

It was easy with a band & plate, a squeak plus a half turn, job done.

It is easy to over tighten a fitting which may have a detrimental effect on both the structure and the coupler.

When testing couplers to achieve the requisite load capacity we refer to EN 74.

EN 74-1:2005 (E) 7.1.7 states " Screw couplers shall be tightened with a torque of 50Nm applied with a torque wrench conforming to 7.1.5"

For those who are not familiar with 7.1.5
" All test equipment shall have an accuracy < 1% With exception, a torque wrench may have an accuracy of at least +/- 5%"

Before anyone asks, wedge couplers are required to be struck with a 500g hammer until a jarring blow is reached.

Top Bottom