Return (1 Viewer)

Azurite hswt I was on a military barracks for lend lease and this safety officer told the lads in my absence to make sure that there was no lapped boards on the scaffolding ,all being fare if the building was square then I wouldn't have any problems with but this building had more returns than I care to count on returning Monday morning I stopped work for all involved approached the site agent told them no more work will be carried out until a new drawing had been made up I have never seen a safety officer been grilled down in front of the men before like this man did he was a giant with his intelligence,so it just goes to show if you hit back at them you can make life very difficult for them and any safety officer tell g you what he wants question him your the scaffolder not him and tell him straight jobs getting done to the drawing and the scaffolding is being returned on the corners like we were taught at college end of.and jiggaman you need to wind your neck in son

Well not everybody drinks jiggaman let them be and do as they do they are not hurting anyone are they

There's an opportunity here for someone to invent the fitting that ties the ledgers together. Ive already named it, Return Ledger Coupler or a Tony Mason Coupler. If any one does it, I hope a drink is in there for me!

about jiggaman.
and only God,
omnipotent indeed,
knew he was a mammal
off a different breed

There's an opportunity here for someone to invent the fitting that ties the ledgers together. Ive already named it, Return Ledger Coupler or a Tony Mason Coupler. If any one does it, I hope a drink is in there for me!

Good idea Tony.

If it becomes apparent in trials that it's fecked and useless we'll call it the jiggyboy clamp.

;)you undersling with band and plate and use short boards IE 4fts
this has been common practice on offshore and industrial or at least the ones ive been on .
No trip hazards anymore
IF ITS DONE IN TUBE THEN IT CAN BE DONE
AS FOR SCAFFOLD TALK ON A SCAFFOLDING FOUM
ITS WHAT WE DO JIGGS IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN GO BACK ON INSTABAM

Cheers Swifty I did thought that you were maybe going to comment on higher intelegence scaffolding knowledge as regards no trip hazards,BUT it was my INSTABAM you liked CHEERS AGAIN:cry:

Haha If it's a 4 sider with yorkshire returns I usually cut the last fleet of boards to fit the last gap.
4 independents with extra ledgers underneath the lift to tie the corners in or as you do undersling whatever's handy.
You can't do Instabam in Wales.

Last edited:
I guess you could; if you were desperate, achieve the return with a fixed finial fitting if need be but they would not give you any value in tension for tying the return. Thus you would need to bridal.
You could also use "Key Clamp" to get a similar result but I know bugger all about their load bearing capacity in either direction.

not one to try and pick holes in peoples posts let alone the Great Sir Alan of Reade.
BUT DID I JUST READ THAT YOU KNOW BUGGER ALL ABOUT A FITTNG :eek:

not one to try and pick holes in peoples posts let alone the Great Sir Alan of Reade.
BUT DID I JUST READ THAT YOU KNOW BUGGER ALL ABOUT A FITTNG :eek:

It's not a scaffold fitting to be honest :)
Key Clamp is a fitting you frequently see on permanent guardrails with an Allen Key Grub Screw

Having regretted saying I knew bugger all about them I have since had a look and they have an axial load capacity of 900kg (with a 2:1 fos) may be a useful addition at some stage???

Attachments

• Key Clamp.jpg
    Key Clamp.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Key Clamp 2.jpg
    Key Clamp 2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
For Those who have not seen a finial, These used to come in a cast version, the last cast ones I saw were in a lorry ramp in Aldgate in the early 80's.
The pressed type are typically used as a guard rail fitting I can't find a load rating for them??

Attachments

• Finial.jpg
    Finial.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12
It's not a scaffold fitting to be honest :)
Key Clamp is a fitting you frequently see on permanent guardrails with an Allen Key Grub Screw

Having regretted saying I knew bugger all about them I have since had a look and they have an axial load capacity of 900kg (with a 2:1 fos) may be a useful addition at some stage???

lol, Tickled me has this Alan. I bet this has bugged the sh!t out of you. Not knowing what the loading is on the key clamp stuff. :D Ever the consummate professional.

I know its extra work but if you double your transoms up 4inches apart and lay 4,5 or 6 foot boards along the length of the transoms this will raise the main deck of boards up level with your return boards. you will probably have to cut boards to fit snug up but if that's what a client wants that's what he would have to pay for the extra work all because some clumsy brickie cant pick his fecking feet up.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

or and when the independant steps in or out from building etc, just double the boards up on the lower part of the return

Top Bottom