Nice Insurance Claim!

Oooh Thats Not Good, Someones Insurance Premium Is Going Up Next Year.

Will the insurance pay out if they find it's not been erected to industry standards.

Just up the road from me this. In fact had a sausage baguette out of that Co Op only last week. No scaffold up then so only just gone up this week. Not a tie in sight and debris netted from the inside. Just asking a few lads now who's job it is. Going be a big fine this one :-( - Scaffolding falls on six cars parked outside shop | Stoke Sentinel

Stone at the risk of sounding stupid ,
What's wrong with netting on the inside of a scaffold ?
In almost 36 years in this game I have never had a problem with netting or monoflex for that matter on the inside of a scaffold .
I know the old it should pull free in high wind before it takes the scaffold over argument
But surely it's counter productive if the wind is blowing against the scaffold ,
My answer is make sure your jobs have enough ties and don't be putting bungee ties every other hole ;)

Phil just fresh off a course mate at Simian in Warrington and that's what we are now all being told to do as designers are insisting on it nowadays. I do agree with you though mate that if it's correctly tied it should be ok but designers are now moving the goal posts.

If you do your netting/sheeting on the inside do u bungee tie it to your top ledger then nail n baton it to toe boards?

If you do your netting/sheeting on the inside do u bungee tie it to your top ledger then nail n baton it to toe boards?

Steve I have always just tied it to the top ledger , hand rail and just above the toe board mate on the standard ,
And never had a job come over yet touch wood

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Phil just fresh off a course mate at Simian in Warrington and that's what we are now all being told to do as designers are insisting on it nowadays. I do agree with you though mate that if it's correctly tied it should be ok but designers are now moving the goal posts.

I fully understand what you mean Stone and I do follow a design requirement if it states outside then that's where it goes ,
But after many years I think of practical experience and doing jobs that would make the designers have wished he had worn brown pants ,
Maybe us scaffolders know what we are doing and works for us ;)
And remember what came first ,
The scaffold designer was only born of our experience through trial and error we worked it out not them

Stone at the risk of sounding stupid ,
What's wrong with netting on the inside of a scaffold ?
In almost 36 years in this game I have never had a problem with netting or monoflex for that matter on the inside of a scaffold .
I know the old it should pull free in high wind before it takes the scaffold over argument
But surely it's counter productive if the wind is blowing against the scaffold ,
My answer is make sure your jobs have enough ties and don't be putting bungee ties every other hole ;)

There is a new device for rolling out monoflex and netting on the outside of the scaffold. If whoever thought this up has any influence it will get brow beaten into everyone even if it makes sence to do it on the inside.

As I understand it. Mono should be tied from the outside to release in high winds. toggle ties to snap at 75 mph, or scaff goes sailing down the rd.

We hav always put both on out side if u get them tied together well it looks the part. Them devices r no use in my opinion unless it's a small job that ur trying to do on ur own.

From a designers point of view all scaffolds should be designed to withstand the full wind load irrespective of whether the sheeting is fixed to the inside or outside of the scaffold. As Phil said earlier, fixing to the outside doesn't help the sheeting detach if the wind is blowing against the sheeting pushing it into the scaffold in a birdcage or temporary building for instance. A designer would never assume that the sheeting would detach at a given wind speed on any scaffold. This job looks like the usual untied scaffold that makes the rest of the industry look bad whenever there is a bit of wind!

Well, That's a considerable **** up.

Also to point out, whether the netting is installed on the inside or the outside makes little to no difference on any wind calculations. Any scaffold engineer would assume that its all attached with cable ties and would never detach.

I think it stems from the aesthetic look and the fact that if the manufacturer states it to be so, the designer will state it to be so.

We Have Always Put Both Debris Netting And Mono-Flex On The Outside, Unless Its Specified , i Did Put Netting On The Inside Once On A Clock Tower In Kinross (But It Looked Like Crap And Was A Nightmare To Do .)

There is another argument that monoflex/netting on the inside stops the user grabbing the handrail should they trip or stumble.

Top Bottom