Crg fin

Reaction score
Evening gents

I'm Thinking of starting up a labour only company
And just after some advice and info about best ways to
Go about it really

Thanks in advance
Craig

Do u mean only u supplying labour only - or supplying other guys to order like an agency - the
Problem wiv the labour only side Is your fees for public liability as theyre based on your turnover not your profit & so tbh can be extremely high.add to this the average of 30 invoicing - then it can be quite stressfull & will prob take you a while to get both your workload & client base established.
otherthings to be of concern are the hmrc employment rules on being self employed as you may find that you have to start a company & become your own employee, as well as anyone else your taking on- 100% paye is wot hmrc are trying to get all small buisness onto which inturn brings more liabilities as well as the new pension regs tbh its all becoming a bit of a nightmare ..but I wish u well in your venture

Last edited:
You would have to be crazy, insurance/nic/pensions can be overcome you may even make good money but the day to day dealing with the average scaffolders excuses will take a big toll on you.

Go For It Kid, I Have Been A Labour Only Subbie For Fifteen Years, No Regrets Whatsoever.Some Weeks Are Better Than Other Weeks But None Are Bad Weeks, I Do Some Small Jobs (Wee Chimneys And Extentions But Thats About It ) Go For It And Enjoy Your Job.

You would have to be crazy, insurance/nic/pensions can be overcome you may even make good money but the day to day dealing with the average scaffolders excuses will take a big toll on you.

Why would he be crazy Ennest ?

If a man has the balls to stick his head above the parapet and think I can have a go at that , then good luck to him.
I use a labour only gang that where recommended to me by a forum member and them lads give you a good days graft without the hassle of employing themusual " I don't do Monday's mate " type the game is full of

Good luck to you fella if you decide to go for it ;)

We started out labour only until we had whipped enough kit :laugh:

lol. not a great thing to admit to on the forum Rick son.:huh:

I'm not great fan of using labour only firms cus I find as stated earlier they steal ur materials and ur customers as they r trying to build their own business and using them is just helping a future competitor get on his feet

I'm not great fan of using labour only firms cus I find as stated earlier they steal ur materials and ur customers as they r trying to build their own business and using them is just helping a future competitor get on his feet

You make good points Derry ,
But if you need good labour for a short period then it's labour only or agency ,
And I know what I would rather use,
The labour only lads give you a good days graft as the want more work of you ,
The agency lads just don't give a to sh it and want the easiest day they can get away with,
You always have one of your own lads on site to oversee the labour only lads ;)
Until you build up a trust

so true Phillio as regards the Agency men
but in their defence they know they are there for a using 9 times out of 10,and will have been told lies of loads of work only to find out they are only getting a week.
best opf luck with the new venture and it looks as if the Forum is doing what it does best HELPING SCAFFS HELP EACH OTHER;)

Totally agree and I'm not tryin to knock anybody starting up as labour only

Hi Craig,
Good to speak with you just now and glad you spotted we are experienced and very easy to deal with.

Also that scaffolders insurance does not have to be rated on turnover as minimum premiums in Lloyds generally start at £10,000 so my ballpark is well below half that rated a diffeerent way. Speak Monday. Shane

Top Bottom