Sheeted scaffold designs? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Ja_Vu

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a quick peice of info.

Just had a call from the construction director of one of our clients, luckilly I was out of the office but I think I know what he going to ask, so want to be armed with the facts.

I think the questions he's gonna ask is about the scaffolding being sheeted needing a design. Ive looked through TG20 but cant find anything to say sheeted scaffolds MUST be designed. All I can find is that sheeted scaffolds should have load bearing couplers across 2 standards every other bay, which in theory should work out to be the tie tubes anyway.

Please correct me if Im wrong, just need to see it in writting somewhere either way.
I think they are going to insist on a drawing but at least this might give me the chance to charge for it.

Dave.

Sheeted scaffold

Hi

TG20:08 is not entirely clear if the scaffold needs a design if it is sheeted or not.

Conditions for a basic scaffold have the following paragraphs.

7. The wind factor S defined in clause 4.4.3 is not greater than 40.

13. When the scaffold is sheeted or covered with debris netting, the covering is attached to the ledgers and the principle guardrails as a minimum, and in accordance with the suppliers instructions. It is recommended that sheeting and netting should be fitted to the outside of the scaffold members.

14. When the scaffold is fitted with sheeting or debris netting the top platform is is tied at alternate standards as a minium.

So provided you have a basic scaffold, it is has an S less than 40, is as 13 and 14 above, and ties pattern as per clause 5.2, then you can do your own check if it needs a design or not, but it is not a straight forward process. There is a calculation required to check for the value of S.

The HSE have produced a check list for scaffolds that should be designed. It does not specifically say that sheeted scaffolds need a design - See link Construction - Scaffolding - Scaffold tower industry health & safety

Sorry cant be more specific, but the design of the sheeting load is not the same for all locations and types of buildings, etc. so a general design cannot be specified.

Hope this help, but may confuse more. Sorry about that

Chris Eng :)

Thanks Chris,

Nope, not confused me, thats exactly what I read too, like you say, its not 100% clear cut.
As far as Im concerned the scaffolding is a basic straight forward build. 2m lifts with a 900mm lift to floor levels all the way up the building.
Because is being sheets they are saying it must have a design but like you said there is nothing there to say this is the case.

Wanted to check with someone else to see if I had missed something.
This is in your neck of the woods Chris if your still around Bournemouth area.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dave.

Hi Still in Christchurch

Hi

Glad that was okay

I am in Christchurch still. Looking out of my window at a beautiful sunny day. Wish I was outdoors today.

All the best

Chris Eng:)

Top Bottom