Big chimney stack (1 Viewer)

Pigman

Reaction score
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1080/1240154964_d36c3c9a6c_z.jpg?zz=1

This is basically the same as the actual stack I've been asked to do.

It's by far the biggest job I've ever been asked to do. Basically I know the guy who owns it and it's mine to do if I want it. It's 38m high, boarded top to bottom for pointing. It's actually the highest point in my home town and would basically stick it to all the local firms lol :)

I've got the gear and the lads who are capable of the job. I've sent off some pictures and drawings to a designer to get the scaff design today.

I've never worked on such a high job or priced one for that matter. I don't really know where to start to include all the handballing etc to get the gear to the top (and back down).

Any advice welcomed!!

You could become seriously unstuck here mate,application from a drawing to an actual job like this takes experience and organisation, to ask for advice on a job like that says to me your out your depth so leave well alone,not being funny mate they are a different ball game:worried:

Hoist if you were to do it, rope would take forever, by hand would take a lot if your looking at near a ton of wood per lift and similar in steel and fitting, 18 odd lifts.

Beams over the apex, probably piggy backed for the number of lifts how would the workers get up there, rescue plans for anyone working there, how would you get them down a staircase or ladder access.

You'd be needing double standards for some parts of it.

Last edited:
Did one years ago, about same size Double standards up to 70% high steel tube then Alloy tube to top.
All pulled up on Gin wheel.

Board out the top 3 lifts and then bring it down 3 lifts at a time as the maintainance is completed. With the new regs only two lifts can be in use at a time, I think!

how long does the client want the scaffolding for if you don't know perhaps you ought to consider how much hire.
lets face it I don't know how many men you intend to hit the job with you may consider weather height materials labour fuel hire.
get the sums right here fella and go for it .

I'm not out of my depth and wouldn't take on anything I wasn't 100% comfortable with. Especially on a job like this. Hence why when he originally enquired about it whilst we scaffolded the surrounding buildings I said no. A couple years have passed since then and we are in a fantastic position now and I feel it's time to step up.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

In terms of hire, we don't know yet, it's still in the very early stages.

Is it octagonal like the one in the picture and will it therefore be a splay round it? **** load of lapped boards then?

Done right and kept tidy it would be a cracking job. Would look the dogs nads with shrinkwrap on it to :) give me a shout if you consider it ;-)

Glad your doing well mate

Btw did you go with layher in the end 🐷man???

I'm hiring a house worth in September to run along side one of my housing contracts, get trained and experienced in it then invest more after that.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Is it octagonal like the one in the picture and will it therefore be a splay round it? **** load of lapped boards then?

Yeh its octagonal lol

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Done right and kept tidy it would be a cracking job. Would look the dogs nads with shrinkwrap on it to :) give me a shout if you consider it ;-)

Yeh it would literally be wrote in the history books of our town it's that famous a chimney, it's just so well known. I'm thinking debris netting for the added colour :)

It's by far the biggest job I've ever been asked to do. Basically I know the guy who owns it and it's mine to do if I want it. It's 38m high, boarded top to bottom for pointing. It's actually the highest point in my home town and would basically stick it to all the local firms lol :)

I've got the gear and the lads who are capable of the job. I've sent off some pictures and drawings to a designer to get the scaff design today.

I've never worked on such a high job or priced one for that matter. I don't really know where to start to include all the handballing etc to get the gear to the top (and back down).

Any advice welcomed!!

Sub it out piggy it's outside your capabilities.

Any advice welcomed!!

Have you got an official purchase Order off "the guy you Know" to cover at least the cost of the design? If not you could have lost out before you start!
He could get your price and say fook me and then get another which could well be a cheaper one.

Tbh he's prob already had a quote if not ask him to get one from a bigger company- that will set your priceing structure . Defo get a hoist as the cost will outwey lost hrs getting gear up looks like 1k per lift for the first 5- then £1.5 for the rest plus hoist cost.

Top Bottom