Getting back into it

VERTIGO

Reaction score
I have just started thinking about getting back scaffolding again after nearly a 5 year break from the game. Before this i had worked solid for nearly 15 years with no break. I had the opportunity to move into another business which has done ok but to be honest i am bored shitless now. Something seems to be pulling me back .
So to any scaffs who have been away from the game for a long period how did you find it coming back? how long did it take you to get back in the swing of things and did you regret coming back at all..

Ur gonna need to make sure your tckt & touchscreen are still in date & valid m8. But other than we're now erecting to tg 20:13 & using impact drivers as well as spanners nothings really changed so good luck - scaffs are in demand now si you'll have no trouvle fibding a job

I guess it all depends on your age, how long the break from scaffolding was, and if you kept yourself relatively fit during that time.

I first had a 2 year break from scaffolding in my late 20s, and got back into it when I was 30. It was damn hard at first, and (not really keeping myself fit when away from the game) it took me about a month to get back into the swing of things, both mentally and physically. Most recently I had a 5 year break, and am now in my early 50s. This time I only managed 3 days, the body just wasn't up to it (still pretty much recovering from the serious illness that I had last year), so I quit. I would love to get back into the game but there's no easy way back into it, and I fear that I'm too f*cked now to keep up with the young 'uns!

What about driving the wagons?I am sure if the firms know you will help out a bit you should get a start no probs.

Old fart your last stint was that on a site or street?
It was a site, a big tower block going up in Stratford area. The work was pretty full on, had no time to ease myself into it and was pretty much slowing up the whole operation. I did ask the guy in charge if there was anything else I could do but his attitude was "can't handle it, feck off"! So I did...!
As for street work, I'll leave that for all the young 'uns! Had enough of that kind of work years ago, it soon takes its toll on the body...

Top Bottom