To buy or to hire? (1 Viewer)

Pigman

Reaction score
I've recently priced some work and the cost of the job comes to £5000, it's 5 hours away so I've looked into hiring the scaffold rather than driving down in the waggon.. Spoke to trad and the price of the scaff is £85 a week hire plus £80 delivery. This seems ridiculously low compared to what it would cost to buy, probably around around £15,000 plus vat. It would cost me more in diesel driving there from where I am than it would cost to hire the scaffold. Any experience on hiring over buying? Do firms hire scaffold for individual jobs and and just pay off the low hire costs? Or is it still best to buy?

5 hrs away ...fcuk that take the job & sub it out to someone closer to it.

I'm not going to say no to 5 grand for 3 days work

5 k less tax is 4k less wages, transport, logistics sundries & return visit for striking plus cost of hiring materials & any unforseen fcukabout factor is gonna leave you a profit circa 1.5k hardly seems worth the effort of a 5hr drive eachway minimum of twice-always work the job backwards & it may not seem so atractive

Last edited:
Don't forget most hire companies can't count that well when the gear gets returned.
They don't make mistakes in your favour, ever.

You will need to take into account the lost material costs that you will be charged. No matter how careful with the security of the gear, you will incur replacement costs for missing equipment. I have seen a good few small companies go to the wall just by not arguing the cost of material losses charged by various hire companies.
Remember that the hire company rep has to fulfill his quarterly sales targets as well as hire.

Make sure YOU count it in and out and get them to sign the return that day, not a week later with half the gear missing!
you may also want to insure the hired in plant, just in case!

I I've contact my rep and he says there is no charge on top of the cost of the materials which they charge as used hire tube and not new, which is 69p a foot.

Also, how would I count all the tube against their counting if it's back at their Depo?

You make sure your there & counted back onto their lorry & a receipt signed for

Top Bottom