Switching from tube to layher (1 Viewer)

Pigman

Reaction score
Any firms on here gone through the process of switching from tube and fitting to layher? I'm really keen on the look of the layher system and think it's the future tbh. Layher looks faster and tidier with a cleaner finish imo.

I wouldn't just change over night as it wouldn't be practical, but would you say the training would take long? Aka would it take long for my lads who are doing jobs with tube long to switch etc

Anything else to bare in mind?

Very good idea mate your right it is the future, I think a lot of firms would like layher but put off by the price.

Your lads will struggle at first but adapt very quickly, if you were a layher firm already and switching to tube your boys would take ages to adapt, the first mistake they will make ( and they will make it ) is basing out you literally have to place the ledgers on the floor and map out the lengths ie an 13m independant would be 3m-3m-1m-3m-3m for example it sound obvious but the amount of times I've seen it where they just smash it up and then have to change it round afterwards would surprise you lol

Yes it's definitely quicker and looks a lot neater, as for the price I'm sure you'll earn it back a lot quicker than you would with tube mate.

I'm only a scaffolder myself don't own my own firm but have used plenty of layher and it's the bollox imo good luck fella

Hi pigman
If your men r trained in tube the system course wil only b few days so shudnt b to bad. As with any system it shudnt take them long to get up to speed. It mite b worth employing someone who worked with it b4 as nothing beats experience. I Wud look at cuplock if u want a system as it's less expensive and u cud use ur own boards which cud save on buying expensive decks.

Depends also on your market, its great stuff but for new builds its not easy to adapt
you can never do without t&f!
your labour rates will go down when they get used to it and speed up erection
the only thing is you need plenty of the ancillary items, nothing worse than been unable to finish a job because your 2 components short
I would say that Layher is the best system about

i think a system thats not mentioned alot but is fast,tidy and can go anywhere with it is
peri up system,never used layher but peri looks similar and i hear its going to be getting used alot more in the future.

A manager for sgb in the 80s and one from kwikform told me it doesn't pay to hav all the components for system unless u use them all the time. If a job needs then they said hire them or do the job with tube. That's y kwikstage has less components. I Wud say layher is best but I don't think it's worth the money as talked bout in other threads people offering free hire it Wudnt b worth buying expensive equipment

I've got a couple lads who have worked with system before, I don't think layher specifically though.

Obviously I will have to do some proper number crunching but this is my current situation

10 lads (+me and my Bro) 4 waggons
£325,000ish of tube and fitting

I've looking at investing another £100,000 in either tube and fitting or layher, or abit of both.

Realistically I reckon it takes a lad with a decent head on him to learn to erect a basic house on their own with tube and fitting around 2 years, including there time labouring in this,

Would someone training as a system scaffolder learn to erect a basic house faster? If so how quickly?

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

You mention it's not easy to adapt, I've been watching videos of it used in dubai and the Wembley stadium and they must be some of the most complicated buildings about

Is this adaptation problems a real issue or is it just an urban myth from tube and fittings guys?

I'm tube through and through so I'm not being biased

Pigman, Layher is easy to put up and I’m sure your lads will get to like it, 100k won’t go far on any system and once you start spending on it, you have to keep doing it:eek:
The training is quick if your lads already have a card I believe it’s a 2 day course to get it added to CISRS (for a fee!):blink1:
If you have a main contractor that is anal with their H&S you will find that they will not accept the little gaps etc, and the brickies will moan about the adapted level 4 or 5 inches out that means they can’t lay level!:cry:

If layher is used on alot of high end jobs how can they get away with these gaps? I've noticed the gap on the inside on jobs I've looked at, I just assumed the scaffs in question were doing half a job

U Wud b better taking a visit to a few firms who use it take a look at there jobs b4 u invest. We use kwikstage cuplock van thiel and tubes and never hav problems with any of them. I Wud say that whatever system u go for make sure ur supplier offers good back up such as design and has a good stock of equipment in case u need stuff. We started with cuplock in 81 when we worked with sgb and then moved to kwikstage mid 90s when sgb pulled out of Ireland and it was hard to get material. We started buying off rmd and they provided gr8 backup with free designs advice and we cud hire or buy bits and pieces when we were short

Ive spoken to TRAD and the system they provide is PLETTAC METRIX

Hes sending me over some videos and costings next week in relation to say, how many houses worth of scaffold i can get for 100k in both tube and fitting and system. I can see what I get for my money then.

Ill get in contact with a couple scaff firms using system too, see what they say.

me personally i still go for cuplok as you can still use 13ft boards and it is adaptable with tube and fitting.
layher for me is too heavy especially when you use the cheesegrater decks.The decks interlock and as such there is a certain way they need to be placed.
if you are erecting for brickies then system is a no brainer;)
BUT TUBE AND FITTING FOR A SCAFFOLDER IS THE REAL DEAL

Ive always been t&f & prob always will tbh I'm very much of the idea if it aint broke it doent need fixing.
it took nasc years to rewrite the tg guidance to bring t&f into play properly after the eurocrates ruled out our bs codes due to most euro contries using system- big bully boy tactics from em they wanna leave us & our bent bananas alone lol.
but on a serious not there are so many components with layer that 100k wouldnt get u to far. As well as rebranding your stock & retraining your guys your costs will also need to meet new rams & guidline changes as well as even down to logistical support & the way & amount of gear you can carry as its quite bulky to transport. If you damage t&f that can be straightend or cut down but ur gonna lose that option with system.
dont get me wrong I can see the advantage of having some system especially for certain jobs like a temp roof or a nice straight run on a office block but it would be a major change as to how you work your company & a change that may take a long time to achieve time that may be spent better elsewhere.
But good luck with your choice it'll be interesting to follow this thread

Last edited:
Pigman why dont you hire a load for a few months and see how it goes before committing your hard earned and maybe regretting it in a few months time ,
its also a nightmare to load on a lorry unless you have a hiab and you would need to unload most of it first to have what you need to start erecting ,so really its only any good for site work where you can do that.

Hiring some might be a good option, train the lads up in using it before merging over (if I decide to)

The thing is also if I keep investing in tube ad fitting I think it's going to make the move over even harder in the future

The way I see it is I'm only 25 so I've got enough time to hit 2 generations, the generation I'm doing work for now, 40 50 year olds etc, and when they retire I'll still be young enough to target those who are then setting up on their own after their bosses retire, those who are closer to my own age.

So in my mind I've got time to plan for the future, it's just what to do !

Sounds like a wise head on young shoulders to me mate ,
Good for you pigman ,
Just do your research before you make a calculated decision .
Just out of interest what is most type of work you do street work or site work ?

Council work, reroofing council houses is 70%, then we usually have 1 small site on the go, 1 big private job then just a trickle of small privates, whatever we can manage until we get bigger

Just waiting on my operators for 6 waggons

For that type of work I Wud stick with tube. System good for industrial work or big sites when it's the same thing over and over. Council houses with people living in them and all the obstacles u hav I thing tube Wud b hard to beat. I say that as a system user

Tube and fitting is gonna beat system ever time on houses ,
To many variables like bay windows ,basements , porticos , extensions ,etc etc
System like derryScaffold says is great for big sites and industrial work where you have big runs .
Just out of interest why do you think system is the way forward ?
A good scaffolder trained with tube and fitting can get around any situation with a lorry load of mixed kit ,
After 35 years of using tube I have no intention of ever using anything else ,
Except for tempory roofs where system is the nuts .
Why not keep going as you are for a few more years ( you have time on your side )
And see what happens ,
You can always sell as 2nd hand tube and fitting if you still decide to move to system

your right to consider Layher
some misinformation quoted by the die hard tube scaffs on here that don't know about Layher
Is very adaptable whether you want to use all the parts or not
you can take any project on with Layher that's why they do an advanced course so droppers,etc
Its lighter,stronger,maintenace free and quicker than tube
you wont have losses,little damage and its agreat asset as it holds its price so good investment
life span 25 years + if looked after
wont be nicked,cease or cut up like tube,fiits and scaff boards
Talk to Layher they've got market share and for a reason
Range of parts,service and back up
downside yes can be costly with first investment,scaffolders need to be open minded too it and yes think about logistics handling storage.
Like another forum user said talk to an existing user
Hope helps

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

someone mentioned gaps,not sure what that's all about.Layher do gap decks for inbetween the platform and console,lapping planks and adjustable decks for non size bays so unsure about gap comment unless not based out right ?

Top Bottom