Switching from tube to layher

Tube and fitting or system is as only as good as the gang erecting it. I think the investment needs to be in getting decent men not an over priced system.

Looking at transport wise, it seems the best way is using stillages / pallets. So I guess hi-ab or forklift is a must. Preferably both i guess.

So if I was looking to invest in some I would idealy have to buy another waggon with a hi-ab and dedicate is specifically to the use of the system scaffold.

Any waggon size preference? I think I read the system stuff is lighter overall, so I guess I could get away with a slightly lighter waggon than I would use for tube?

You mentioned you can do your training course which is only a couple days? Is there advanced training also to learn how to use the more complex add ons and do things such as temporary roofs?

I'd be more tempted to have a good stock of System and keep your t + f pal.

If you get rid of all your tube, your gunna limit your self to what jobs you can do. I know you can do a lot with system if you've got the right bits for it, but they'll be a lot of bespoke stuff that you won't be able to do if you ditch all of your kit.

Certain jobs system is ideal and it flies up, but also think about when you get busy and you need more lads. It's ok sending them on a course to learn how to use the gear, but there is no substitute for experience. Some of the lads that work with the system constantly, will probably be able to erect stuff that others( including myself) might think impossible with system. Goes back to a few threads that are on here about lads being advanced after 2 and half years, but still don't know their arse from their elbow. What i'm getting at is, there are a lot more lads knocking about who are competent in tube and fitting than in system, and believe me it takes a lot of duds before you get decent lads, and thats coming from a tube and fitting labour pool. If you switch completely, you'll also be limiting the good lads that you can employ. Takes a lot of time to get that experience, and every time you come up against something new, you've got a big expensive learning curve.

Like i say, i'd be tempted to dip my toe, get a chunk of kit and take it slowly. As mentioned before you've got time on your side. your tube and fitting will hold it's value if you keep it, they'll always be someone ready to buy it off you later on down the line.

Cheers for the replies so far

I'm going up to TRADS Thursday I think for a demo on their metrix system.

What I'm thinking to start is hire a house or so worth of system, which per month shouldn't cost much (I hope) I will then just stick to putting one job up at a time in system. Got a lad who's worked with metrix so hopefully between him and a few training courses I'll be able to start learning to use the system myself and also train my other lads. Luckily alot of my contracts are all basic houses so they will be ideal to learn on and with only having one system one up at a time it won't take anything away from my current service

I will then make a part investment in more tube and fitting and see where I end up.

There Is No Such Qualification As Advanced System Scaffolder, The Timescale For Any Qualification Is The Same As Tube, If You Are An Advanced Scaffolder It Is Tube Onlly (Really Gents We Cant Keep Having This Conversation)

Bobby, Seriously Never Heard Of The Qualification, What In The Name Of God Do They Teach On An Advanced System Course? I Would Have To See The Card And Course Syllabus Before I Will Believe It, (If That Is The Case I Will Stand Corrected Yet Again)

Oh Fekk, The Games Gone Pear Shaped, Was It Actually A Cisrs Gold System Card Bobby?

Yes indeed I was on the bbc for PhD last sept ish and got talking to a gang they all came off acorn one was p2 in system he showed me the card and then said his mate was gold card and Yep he only was lol

I know a fella done up to his advanced with tube but on his evidence he had some kwikform stuff and his card came back saying advanced kwikstager. He wasn't happy don't kno if he ever got it sorted

Cheers for the replies so far

I'm going up to TRADS Thursday I think for a demo on their metrix system.

What I'm thinking to start is hire a house or so worth of system, which per month shouldn't cost much (I hope) I will then just stick to putting one job up at a time in system. Got a lad who's worked with metrix so hopefully between him and a few training courses I'll be able to start learning to use the system myself and also train my other lads. Luckily alot of my contracts are all basic houses so they will be ideal to learn on and with only having one system one up at a time it won't take anything away from my current service

I will then make a part investment in more tube and fitting and see where I end up.

Be interesting to see how the prices compare with Layher and Generation
the only thing to be wary of is support and if they can deliver all the little add on things

no such thing as a part1/2/advanced system course, the training is in t&f only. yes you do get system courses but they are 1day things and even then its for fussy agents/clients. anyone who says they have done an advanced course in system is simply lying it doesnt exist.

Yes indeed I was on the bbc for PhD last sept ish and got talking to a gang they all came off acorn one was p2 in system he showed me the card and then said his mate was gold card and Yep he only was lol

Sorry Bobby...As far as I am aware at this time there is no advanced system course that is offered and CISRS do not issue and advanced card for system only scaffolders as there is no system only advanced training scheme at this time.
There is an equivalent .....system only ticket for a basic part one and Basic part two.
If some fella showed you a gold CISRS card with a system named on the back of it then he most likely completed a SSPTS in the product shown on the card. These used to be done at Erith training center over two weekends...they may well still be doing them, but I seem to remember they died off...
I can't imagine that a course is being delivered to the public and it is not being advertised on the CISRS web site and there is nothing showing any such course or route to achieve a gold card in system in the cap 609 booklet that give all course syllabus available .....seems to me Gerscaff is spot on....I have not heard of it...but a system course may be coming to a center near you soon......

The advanced gold card system course consist of hammer swing technics , believe it or not you can over or under hit system ,
Also they teach the correct method to insert the lugs and pins onto the standards to avoid over stressing the ledgers and transoms.
Also and very good IMO they teach you how to cut the components correctly should you have odd length bays or standards so they can be reused as standard stock

I've seen it with my own eyes I'm certain his mate the part 2 in system told me there are only a handful of them with the ticket

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I don't know the ins and outs Geoff of how he got it but I'm not a billy bullshlter mate I can assure you

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Just googled I can only find the part 2 system card strange driving me made now lol

That fella I know sent his evidence with some kwikform shoring on it and his card came back with advanced kwikstager. I seen it myself it was through citb. He was trying to get it changed but haven't seem him in few years so don't kno hw he got on. There is no such thing but that's what they sent him

Top Bottom