working away without Diggs (1 Viewer)

happyhugenoet

Reaction score
due to searching for work and having travelled my searches took me to all corners of the UK as well as overseas.My searches have thrown up some INDUSTRIAL jobs in RIG YARDS and also Shipyards as well as PetroChem sites all over the UK.
MY ISSUE IS THAT A LOT OF THE JOBS ARE ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR TRAVELLING MEN AND STATE NO DIGGS
WHY THE FUUCK WOPULD TRAVELLING MEN TRAVEL WITHOUT DIGGS BEING PAYED.London aside as there have never been DIGGS payed dann saff but we all knew that
MY QUESTION IS WHY TAKE A JOB IN BELFAT OR PORTSMOUTH FOR A ****** RATE OF £16 FOR ALL HOURS WITH NO DIGGS WHEN IF THEY NEVER TOOK THE JOBS THE RATE AND MABY DIGGS WOULD BE PAYED.
i await the responce from my learned friends;)

People travelling to that Belfast job for £16 no digs has well and truly ****** it up where hundreds of scaffs jump on board to work 12s x 7 days to clear 900 quid after paying digs etc.

Was working on a Rig in Dundee last month £16 an hour 12s x 7 days, but was on my doorstep. Previous rigs that were in before the Belfast job were getting 20 odd quid an hour plus traveling men would get dig money also... Now they have seen they can get men to Belfast for 16quid no digs, so now they are all at it...its only going to get worse lads!!

Get urself a campervan & take ur home with ya m8 I would

"Pikey scaffs r us" lol

Yeh I'm getting texts off them myself stating 'good rates of pay':laugh: but no digs :huh: in London, Derbyshire, Notts, ect.
They expect you to travel all them miles to turn up at 7:30 expecting a full days work then you have to try and find lodgings completely knackered and to top it off, you have to pay for it yourself.
THATS WHY I DONT EVEN BOTHER REPLYING TO THEM.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

People travelling to that Belfast job for £16 no digs has well and truly ****** it up where hundreds of scaffs jump on board to work 12s x 7 days to clear 900 quid after paying digs etc.

Was working on a Rig in Dundee last month £16 an hour 12s x 7 days, but was on my doorstep. Previous rigs that were in before the Belfast job were getting 20 odd quid an hour plus traveling men would get dig money also... Now they have seen they can get men to Belfast for 16quid no digs, so now they are all at it...its only going to get worse lads!!
As long as you get one that will do it, it wont change.

Maybe iam lucky I ain't sure ,
But I have always found work in London and never needed to be away from home ,
Surely if someone advertises a job they want scaffolders to able to get to work for an agreed start time ,
Why would you want to pay someone digs unless you really can't get men near enough
No offence ment lads just puzzles me sometimes this digs thing

The London lads are lucky as there never seems to be an end to the major infrastructure projects but my point is it's predominantly fecking agency's who phone up people in glasgow,Manchester or South Wales and for a job in a power station which if it was books in with the company you would get the digg money
THES counts are ruining the hard fought conditions and also ruining the game:mad:

I've done my stints in working away from home, fortunatly my digs were provided. I do find it shiit that these companies/ agencies are expecting hard gradting lads to sort their own digs away from home. If your asking lads to travel then have the decency to provide digs, if not then fuucking struggle with your local labour and watch your job go to pot.

bm i was talking to a lad the other day who was on the dundee rig job and i was shocked when he told me it was £16 straight through
i immediately thought that it was down to the belfast rates :mad:

Yes but do agencies/ firms actually look for traveling men? They put a job up in say Cardiff surely they are looking for local men it stands to reason

Imo all this about " no there shlt there not paying digs " etc it's from blokes from a far ringing up and asking for digs when they refuse they go mental and all righteous about it like its there God given right

Granted im from central London and I'm with Phil 100% I've always not understanded why they should pay digs or better ppl expect them!

It's obviously different if your on a company and they send you to the other side of the country

bobby i got a call from an agency asking if i would be available for a start in barrow in furness they got my number from some job site.My cv states my address after the usual bollockks about the job and possibilitie of "long term work" i asked is there subsistance (diggs) long silence thenm EH NO.
WHY DID YOU CALL ME THEN BROTHER AS YOPU ARE OBVIOUSLY LOOKING FOR LOCAL LABOUR,I HAVE A FAMILY WITH MOUTHS TO FEED AND A MORTGAGE TO PAY I CANT KEEP TWO HOUSES
AS ALREADY STATED I DONT EXPECT DIGGS IN LONDON AS ITS VERY RARE,BUT ON INDUSTRIAL SITES WHEN THE LOCAL LABOUR HAS EXPIRED THEN THERE IS DIGG MONEY BUT SOME CANT IS STEALING IT AND DESPERATE MEN ARE LIVING ON POT NOODLES SO THEY CAN SEND A WEE BIT HAME TO SWEET PEA;)

I like pot noodles especially the sweer & sour one -with 1/2 a loaf of bread & butter to dunk it in. But tbh m8 if ur so used to travelling & working away the why not just bite the bullit & fully relocate to an area that has more work- not ness industrisl but how about coming down south- I know the cost of living is a bit more but surely its gotta b better in the long run.
I've had 2 guys come up from cornwall & had another come down from liverpool admitted he wenr back after 6 months as his mrs just refused to relocate.bur maybe worth thinking about.
But I do know u boys up there luv working 7x12s for big money, but if youralways working & never get the chance to spend it or have to use it to subsidise urself inbetween shutdowns etc..then whats the point....maybe get a better standard of living needing less working hours if it longer term...just a thought

Last edited:
Happy that's the other side of the coin mucker which is disgraceful hope yourself and others don't feel I was having a go mate it's just when I hear the word digs I automatically think of blokes asking/ demanding them when the jobs miles away

Having been a travelling man for most of my working life I can say this. If digs, accommodation were supplied then I took it. If digs weren't supplied then I weighed up if the money was enough to enable me to live in a different place and still provide for my home base. At the end of the day you have to calculate if the reward exceeds the expenses. If not then stay at home.

WELL SAID havespanner couldnt have put it better.
StellaFella had a thread a few months ago regarding the issue of working away which nailed it
Im glad ive got a wee bit of debate going on this one,and as for bobby,phillio and southern i appreciate your words and like anyone with a brain wouldnt take it as a"noise up" or slur.Your input is appreciated ;)

But the real question on my mind here happy is wot u got against pot noodles lol

Top Bottom