A question to employers

steve198622

Reaction score
Does any one know the rules on smoking at work a lad I know asked me if his boss can stop him from smoking at work! Even on his break times, if anyone could help me on this it would be appreciated lads!!

If you're on company premises then I suppose they could or in a company vehicle where the smoking ban would apply but I can't see how they could stop you from going to an open air, public place on your break to smoke.
I commend the geezer's commitment to his employee's health and well being though.:laugh:

They don't smoke in vans only at break times but he want them to stop that, now in my opinion if you're on a break it is up to u what you do as there not paying you for that time! An I right in thinking that or not?

In my opinion, yes. Are you all PAYE? I'm presuming you are. Phone ACAS for some clarity on the subject. I personally think your employer's talking p!sh and would just prefer you didn't smoke.

Fairly certain you have to provide a safe, designated smoking area. Offices and even the big Sites have them. Otherwise its discriminatory against us cancer stick addicts. But saying that, on a big site he could set it up 20 mins each way walk away and only give you half hour for your break, then your still fuked anyway!!

These lads r steel fixers n work outside all day! Think he gonna have to ask someone else for advice lol!!

SMOKING ISNT ILLEGAL YET
tell them to get a backbone but if the jobs a concrete one then thats a waste of time

Fairly certain you have to provide a safe, designated smoking area. Offices and even the big Sites have them. Otherwise its discriminatory against us cancer stick addicts. But saying that, on a big site he could set it up 20 mins each way walk away and only give you half hour for your break, then your still fuked anyway!!

Nothing has to be provided for smokers. That is why they are all standing outside in the rain at Canary Wharf.

Spot on - unless its a complete no smokin zone ie petchem/gas then u should be allowed 2 smoke as during ur break time- however this may be deemed off site only due to clients instructions....as an employer my emphasis would be more in protecting the health & wellbeing of non smokers than the human rights of a smoker.many sites we work on dont allow it within any building,completed or not. But if u wish to step outside during a breaktime then thats fine -however also as an employer i must say that a lot of an hours are lost during a week to smokers now not being allowed to smoke & work

Surely this would mount to an abuse of his human rights?
smoking is after all not a criminal offence!!!YET..
As long as the person is not inside a building or company vehicle.

OMG i just knew it would happen 1 day.......& they call me a poof...when a scaffolder lost his balls & starts to quote his human rights lol....

when a an needs a fag a an needs a fag tried stopping us all on this site. never materialized

There are big fines for employers and employees who smoke in the workplace

Smoking at work: the law

Smoking isn’t allowed in any enclosed workplace

https://www.gov.uk/smoking-at-work-the-law

Businesses can be fined up to £2,500 if they don’t stop people smoking in the workplace or up to £1,000 if they don’t display ‘no smoking’ signs

Smoking isn’t allowed in any work vehicle
:cry:

Surely if ur working outside & obviously not on a petrochemical site then surely u can smoke. N no matter where u are there are smoke sheds all over. It's gone fuucking mental.

Having said that daz I had a row with pat Morgan ( manager on palmers ) years ago claiming human rights and have used it since with no probs

It's called playing the game mukka I've had one ask if I was a train in a previous life with all the trips I make hahahaha

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

It's another reason for a moan up imo

Top Bottom