Inspections on handrails at ground level (1 Viewer)

Pokerface

Reaction score
Hi lads

Can anyone tell me the requirements for inspections on handrails at ground level to prevent site workers from falling into excavations ?

A handrail should resist a minimum horizontal
uniformly distributed line load of 0.74kN/m, a uniformly distributed load applied to the infill of 1.0kN/m2 and a point load applied to part of the infill of
0.5kN. Additionally handrails in commercial areas with tables or fixed seating where people may congregate and are susceptible to overcrowding
should have the top guardrail set at 900mm on stairs and 1100mm for landings and horizontal guarding. Not 950mm as this applies to work platforms not Balustrades that a handrail around and excavation will be.

Pokerface, the handrails must be inspected not less than every 7 days and your findings entered into the "Scaffold Register" as with any other scaffold structure.

Depending on the footfall of site personel and any other hazard such as mechanised traffic flow and its frequency. A daily inspection may be required. A risk assesment of the excavation should have been made your handrails form part of the management of this site hazard

A handrail should resist a minimum horizontal
uniformly distributed line load of 0.74kN/m, a uniformly distributed load applied to the infill of 1.0kN/m2 and a point load applied to part of the infill of
0.5kN. Additionally handrails in commercial areas with tables or fixed seating where people may congregate and are susceptible to overcrowding
should have the top guardrail set at 900mm on stairs and 1100mm for landings and horizontal guarding. Not 950mm as this applies to work platforms not Balustrades that a handrail around and excavation will be.

Has Mr reade finally got a worthy contender?? I wonder.........

Is Alan Reade the most recent cockney rhyming slang for 'weed' I wonder? Over to the London boys.:laugh:

Lol

Well we've all been a bit Marra ( para as in paralytic ) :)

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Ps all us London scaffs like a stonedrose ( pose ) ;)

Its a 5 section govenment induced document setting out works to avoid falls forst prepared in 85 & regulary revised .

Ramps

The dimensions of stairways, ladders and ramps are not arrived at by accident but rather by accidents! They have been developed to enable safe and easy passage between different levels in and around*buildings.

K2. Protection From Falling

Any change in floor level in a building presents the risk that people may fall. The use of balustrades and handrails reduces this risk and gives a greater feeling of security when using the building.

K3. Vehicle Barriers and Loading Bays

The design of barriers around multi-storey car parks and the like is controlled by this regulation. Danger for cars careering off car parks is thus avoided.

K4. Protection from Collision with Open Windows, Skylights and Ventilators

Provision shall be made to prevent people moving in and around buildings from colliding with open windows, skylights or ventilators.

K5. Protection against impact from and trapping by doors

Doors shall not be constructed so as to fall on or trap any person.

Archived Copies

Approved Document K - 1998 edition
Valid: 1st January 1998 - 1st January 2001
The requirement in this edition was:
K1 - Stairs, ladders and ramps
K2 - Protection from falling
K3 - Vehicle barriers and loading bays
K4 - Protection from collision with open windows etc
K5 - Protection against impact from and trapping by doors

Approved Document K - 1992 edition
Valid: 1st June 1992 - 1st January 1998

Approved Document K - 1988 amendments
Valid: February 1988 - 1st June 1992

Approved Document K - 1985 edition
Valid: 11th November - February 1988

Last edited:
K Document?

Morning Meercat,
BS EN 13374 is the relevant Edge Protection Code (not very light reading).
BS6180 is also a relevant document (if still current?)
The K document is a free download, very useful and informative
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/8393/2077370.pdf

Be aware that not all Guard Rails/Edge Protections are designed to the same load requirements.

Another document you may find of use;
https://www.stainlesshandrailsystem.../minimum-horizontal-loads-for-balustrades.pdf

PM me I may be able to point you in the right direction.
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

Is Alan Reade the most recent cockney rhyming slang for 'weed' I wonder? Over to the London boys.:laugh:

Very few would confuse me with a weed of any description:)

Top Bottom