going back on bad work

paul

Reaction score
Scaffolding can be as easy or as hard as we want to make but some scaffolders make it hard work for the rest of us , spent the last two days putting a job right that was f##### up by a gang of cowboys . 1st. the sole boards were not centered under the standards infact they were not even close. 2nd. standard spacings were to far apart for the height the job was going. 3rd. they had gone to close to the building even thou they were given a measurment from the main contractor. 4th. they had tried to stretch the lift heights rather than the 2m lifts that was asked for. 5th. basic things like holes in the kick boards and no stop end kick boards and the ladder accesses were all wrong and the midrail was to close to the top guardrail , but the worst one for me is the lack of physical ties knowing that the job was to have monarflex on it .
How do scaffold companies cover the cost of this? How and why do these guys keep getting away with it time after time .Why do we have to go back on other scaffolders work
Im pretty sure that not one of us likes going back on others work .

Scaffolding can be as easy or as hard as we want to make but some scaffolders make it hard work for the rest of us , spent the last two days putting a job right that was f##### up by a gang of cowboys . 1st. the sole boards were not centered under the standards infact they were not even close. 2nd. standard spacings were to far apart for the height the job was going. 3rd. they had gone to close to the building even thou they were given a measurment from the main contractor. 4th. they had tried to stretch the lift heights rather than the 2m lifts that was asked for. 5th. basic things like holes in the kick boards and no stop end kick boards and the ladder accesses were all wrong and the midrail was to close to the top guardrail , but the worst one for me is the lack of physical ties knowing that the job was to have monarflex on it .
How do scaffold companies cover the cost of this? How and why do these guys keep getting away with it time after time .Why do we have to go back on other scaffolders work
Im pretty sure that not one of us likes going back on others work .
Paul. Have a look at the thread relating to ECITB Cards. You will see from that that there are a lot of concerns regarding the standard of some people being allowed to erect scaffold. I also think the fact that Trainee courses seem to be so readily available is another factor. It would appear that you don't even have had to handle a tube or fitting prior to being allowed to carry out the course !!!!!! The so called training establishments and some of the people employed in them are allowing the trade to be dragged back into the gutter !

Hi Paul, if it was me i would refuse to do it as i have done in the past. But the way you are talking they shouldnt be doing it in the first place. Thats one of the reasons i cant get a job in my area because of all the Cowboy outfits.Time for Oldscaff to hang up the spanners.

I have been in the game some 30 years or so. I truely believe although H&S is more stringent, the standard of work has diminished.
When I started in this industry you worked in the yard. Painting and servicing materials and loading lorries. This enabled the learning of tube/ board length, fittings, other components and loading a lorry RIGHT. Then it was out labouring, which was hard, but taught turns and hitches for rope and wheel etc. After a time you were allowed spanners (still had 1/2" then), a podger and bubble to begin the long hard slog to becoming a scaffolder and going to Bircham for a residential coarse, This took at least 3 years> Seems you can pass the coarse in 10 minutes now days, apparently making you compitent.
I have met and worked with many, many scaffs in my time and a vast amount never having had a ticket. I know the ones I would rather work with!!!:suspicious:

Soulhawk, spot on with what your saying. I started scaffolding on mechanical work where you had to do 3 years before you got your advanced card C- B & A grade. Not 2 weeks sat in a classroom.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Stoko, agree 100% not only has the standard diminished a lot of it is a total disgrace. Its time to name and shame these people.

slashers mate il start :

Hasings Scaffolding - 13ft base lifts , driftwood scaffold boards , mis matched ladders and we have to compete against cunts like this while maintaining high standards often when we hse down this way we will get some tedious flack from him and i allways say why dont they target **** outfits like this - falls on deaf ears ,

Got to agree with al the above to be fair. Standards are falling, was having this conversation earlier today with one of the guys from our other depot.

Scaffy, take yourself into the corner of the room and give yourself a stern talking to for using inapropriate language in a public forum....:blink1:

Like Scaffy said, we all strive to maintain high standards whilst trying to win contracts at fair prices and make a profit, all that happens is some bodgit band of muppets undercut you, sling up some piece of crap and if your lucky no-one gets injured or killed so nothing much ever changes.

Bang on scaffy, couldn't put it better myself we pride ourselves on our work only to lose the next job over 2% on price, the main client need to look further than the pound note all the time not some of the time

I have been in the game some 30 years or so. I truely believe although H&S is more stringent, the standard of work has diminished.
When I started in this industry you worked in the yard. Painting and servicing materials and loading lorries. This enabled the learning of tube/ board length, fittings, other components and loading a lorry RIGHT. Then it was out labouring, which was hard, but taught turns and hitches for rope and wheel etc. After a time you were allowed spanners (still had 1/2" then), a podger and bubble to begin the long hard slog to becoming a scaffolder and going to Bircham for a residential coarse, This took at least 3 years> Seems you can pass the coarse in 10 minutes now days, apparently making you compitent.
I have met and worked with many, many scaffs in my time and a vast amount never having had a ticket. I know the ones I would rather work with!!!:suspicious:
hi stoko. spot on,that's how learnt the basics,yard first,then passed around,arse kicked every day for months,hair drying sessions that wud av made fergie cry,nd then after 12-18 months got an old burton finger-trapper ova spanner,then woz allowed 2 tighten up the sleeves nd the bottom swivel on the braces,coz the old guys didn't wanna put their backs out. but that woz only after they woz loaded out first wiv the gear. nd god help if it weren't rite !!

Scaff22, its the only way to learn the job. The trouble today is they want a set of spanners & £150 a day and they no nothing. Ive worked with so called scaffolders who cant even tie a rope & they tell you theyve been at it 10 years or more.

Scaff22, its the only way to learn the job. The trouble today is they want a set of spanners & £150 a day and they no nothing. Ive worked with so called scaffolders who cant even tie a rope & they tell you theyve been at it 10 years or more.
hi oldscaff. yep,neva a truer word said. 5 mins in the job,nd they forget we started just as they did,but the old guys gave u sooooooooooo much sh$$,nd u ad 2 listen,watch nd show 'em that u ad bin. but now it's totally different,they wanna b the big I AM,but when it comes down to the basics they ain't gotta clue,nd that's when they come nd ask 4 help,then ignore ur advice nd totally cock it up!!!

hi oldscaff. yep,neva a truer word said. 5 mins in the job,nd they forget we started just as they did,but the old guys gave u sooooooooooo much sh$$,nd u ad 2 listen,watch nd show 'em that u ad bin. but now it's totally different,they wanna b the big I AM,but when it comes down to the basics they ain't gotta clue,nd that's when they come nd ask 4 help,then ignore ur advice nd totally cock it up!!!
Your so right,Like i,ve always thought no respect for older more experianced scaffolders,But is,nt that what our society is like no respect,It never use to be that way in this game.

Good thread with some valid points!
I suppose some of the new boys would question some of us old scaffs for using pinch ties, sleeving facade bracing(thats sway bracing to those who have only been in the game 10 years) and many other things.
Thats what concerns me with the NVQ portfolio issue where people are using other peoples evidence for jobs they havent done (temp roofs, hangers etc). These guys will end up with paper qualifications saying they are competent to erect structures that they may not be due to lack of experience etc

hi stoko. spot on,that's how learnt the basics,yard first,then passed around,arse kicked every day for months,hair drying sessions that wud av made fergie cry,nd then after 12-18 months got an old burton finger-trapper ova spanner,then woz allowed 2 tighten up the sleeves nd the bottom swivel on the braces,coz the old guys didn't wanna put their backs out. but that woz only after they woz loaded out first wiv the gear. nd god help if it weren't rite !!

make you right there scaffy22.was a bag of nerves when i used to get home
so keen to learn and put down every day.used to get a go on spanners
on a oil job or a dusty lagging job that needed stripping that been up for years.but i learnt m8.lol

Very good point Havespanner ,think this as already happened over the last 5-10 yrs.

Good thread with some valid points!
I suppose some of the new boys would question some of us old scaffs for using pinch ties, sleeving facade bracing(thats sway bracing to those who have only been in the game 10 years) and many other things.
Thats what concerns me with the NVQ portfolio issue where people are using other peoples evidence for jobs they havent done (temp roofs, hangers etc). These guys will end up with paper qualifications saying they are competent to erect structures that they may not be due to lack of experience etc
hi Havespannerwilltravel. l know EXACTLY wot u mean by that !! nd av ad sum experience of it bin done. my work is mine,nd no-one elses. if u ask 'em how they did,l bet they look at their feet nd mumble a reply.

when I was supervising when I spotted any poor workmanship The gang that erected the job was sent back to put it right at thier own expense with a good b*llocking.
If they started kicking off, I sacked them on the spot and deducted the cost of sending another gang in from thier last week in hand wage.The deduction was qualified as a fraudulent claim for work that had not been carried out to trade standards.
Worked wonders with the quality of work

when I was supervising when I spotted any poor workmanship The gang that erected the job was sent back to put it right at thier own expense with a good b*llocking.
If they started kicking off, I sacked them on the spot and deducted the cost of sending another gang in from thier last week in hand wage.The deduction was qualified as a fraudulent claim for work that had not been carried out to trade standards.
Worked wonders with the quality of work
Your right rigger. Only way to do it Slopiness is the same as laziness, expecting to be paid for faulty work is not on.Brandy.

Ironically H&S has tightened up BECAUSE of the poor standard of many younger scaffs.

Experienced (but educated in current standards!) scaffolders will always outweigh the new scaffolder who can;t tell the dfifference between tube and fittings and system scaffold.....

Top Bottom