Scaffolding Book

I would draw your attention to the fact that the information in my initial post has changed. It now contains some readers' reviews received and before a book website is available it can be bought via the Paypal website at the discounted prices stated and you will not need a Paypal account to do this.

Hi mate you try selling your book to the 300 or more small firms who are private owned and the guy that owns them who are sitting in their million pound houses driving their hundred thousand pound range rovers with their 3 holidays a year in their private villa that for all these years they have been going the wrong way about it lol good luck with your book fella but those who go into buisness especially our game learn off these people not what they read in a book

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

And these firms are well established and have very good reputations it just takes ohnest guys to do honest jobs thats how you get repeat work not backhanders

Hi mate you try selling your book to the 300 or more small firms who are private owned and the guy that owns them who are sitting in their million pound houses driving their hundred thousand pound range rovers with their 3 holidays a year in their private villa that for all these years they have been going the wrong way about it lol good luck with your book fella but those who go into buisness especially our game learn off these people not what they read in a book

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

And these firms are well established and have very good reputations it just takes ohnest guys to do honest jobs thats how you get repeat work not backhanders

And how many small (and big) firms have gone under?

I doubt everything in the book is useful but everyone can always improve. Everyday is a school day.

Last edited:
I would probably give it a read but I won't pay 118 squids before I know if it's any good

Hi Pigman, As stated on the other thread about this book, reviews of successful company directors can be seen on Amazon for the 2nd edition if you search... Books > Contract Scaffolding Estimating Strategy 2014 AND in the director comments at the bottom of the Home page of the book website e.g. that its 'worth its weight in gold'.

Last edited:
Hi Frederik,
I’ll try to keep this simple with the following single example of why estimating software is not on its own sufficient to ensure the best possible trading results.

1 - Estimating software allows you to quickly calculate prices for jobs based on the Labour/Materials/Transport/O-Head and Profit in each item.

2 - But I am not aware of any software that tells you which of these jobs are best selected to achieve your maximum T/O and Profit in your total trading. This especially applies to the period of hire [which can be calculated even for a job containing many items of different periods]. This period of hire at which T/O and therefore Profit is maximised [which I call the ‘Ideal Period’] is different for all firms depending on the ratio of materials to labour in their total trading capacities. It is also different for most individual jobs a firm prices.

To achieve its maximum T/O every firm has to select either jobs which are individually ‘Ideal’ and/or carry out jobs over a range of periods which add up to one larger ‘Ideal Period’ period job and I describe this as trading over an 'Ideal Range' of periods.....but the larger a job is for a firm the more important it is that it is individually ‘Ideal’.

Many medium to large size firms use estimating software to arrive at the total estimated cost at 1 above but then all firms should concentrate on obtaining whichever of these jobs are best for them in terms of 2 above and this is what estimating software is not set up to do. I’m not aware of any firm that uses mathematical calculations at 2 above [which are possible] so any final selection decision and/or commercial ‘bottom line’ tender price adjustment relies on the commercial judgement of the staff involved which is a more experience-based version of 2. Of course, other factors determine these commercial decisions as well but the period of hire is a very important one and this increasingly applies to the extent that a firm is smaller.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom