Scaffolding Book (1 Viewer)

Bob Bartlett

Reaction score
The 2nd edition of Contract Scaffolding – Estimating Strategy is now finally available.

This is a simpler and shorter version of the original 1999 edition which the trade will find easier to read and which also contains new sections on firms in competition and how to maximise T/O and Profit when using System on jobs priced as Tube.

This is still the only book available on contract scaffolding from the present perspective.

It is worth noting that one company director has expressed the view that the 2nd edition is 'worth its weight in gold' and others have described it as 'an interesting read' and ‘industry specific and extremely well written’.

A discounted purchase price of £118 including postage is currently available to UK buyers and £128 for buyers from Canada, America, Australia/NZ and Ireland.

The book website is now up and running at http://www.scaffolding-consultant.co.uk/insite/ where it can be purchased via Paypal and you would not need a Paypal account to do this. It can also be purchased via BACS transfer or cheque.

Buyers from countries not listed can email us for a price including postage.

Last edited:
Still halfway through the last version i brought ten year ago !

Contract Scaffolding - Estimating Strategy

I can guarantee that you will find the 2nd edition a lot easier to read and understand. It will help all firms to trade at their most competitive within capacity. It also contains some new facts such as the reason why smaller firms are more expensive than larger firms even where their unit £ costs are the same.

Last edited:
its all about overheads that you have bigger firms normally have bigger overheads

its easier if you own the stuff that you need rather than lease that's where you make your money

But they all have the same unit £ rates of overhead?

Last edited:
Sambhoy- a larger firm would have more men/materials & can therefore do more work @ less profit per job but more jobs in the long run add up to an overall increase in turnover- where as a smaller company will do less work & need to keep its costs higher to make the same profit ratio meaning a smaller company will not be cheaper than the larger one.- thats why the old saying goes for most SMEs is too small to be big but too big to be small!

Yes Scarf folder, I mean they have the same £ cost per unit of overhead but different prices and these have nothing to do with profit. I know it sounds confusing but the reason is explained.

Last edited:
you look at the m2 rate smaller firms who own there own materials, transport, yard,
can do it cheaper than some of the big boys who need a bigger turnover each month I have been doing this for 25yrs and our rate per m2 is a lot cheaper than most that's not to say we are doing it for nothing we make a good profit each year and we pay CIJC rates TRUST ME WE ARE NOT BUSY FOOLS LEAVE THAT TO THE BIG BOYS LOL

Nice one, keep it simple sambhoy. Any small firm who can't compete on price with some of the larger Nancy bhoys should consider closing the gate.

A client who ONLY looks at the price is an idiot in my opinion

I have gained thousands of contracts in my time in the game, when I was not the cheapest quote, Scaffold Companies should build their reputation on service, reliability, quality, and safe working practices.

Get this right and you will have clients coming back time and time again many not too bothered about the price.

Sorry Bob, thanks but no thanks to the "book", I have fifty years experience in this game and "pricing work" is a skill to be learned at the coal face not from a book or course. (Is there any mention of the brown envelopes).

More's the pity that "Scaffolders" are not trained on the job as we were years ago.

Last edited:
Gotta agree wiv u rigger but tbh this book is aimed at guys who dont want to take the next 50 years learnibg by their mistakes

Last edited:
well said RIGGER not on often enough but when you do we Listen.
i am always looking to learn and had tryed to buy the original book on Amazon but to no avail.I dont think i will be forking out the cash for the latest version but you never know
best of luck with the book ;)

Scaffolding book

This book is based on detailed research into the current pricing of the several intermediate size firms who kindly assisted me and explains for the 1st time why the price variance in the scaffolding market between firms who are all recovering similar OH costs is so high relative to other trades.

It’s also worth noting that I have been on the front line in the trade for circa 40 years many of them as contracts manager for national firms like SGB, GKN and other firms of more intermediate sizes. In recent years I have been trading as a consultant for several successful firms mainly dealing with contractual matters, contract valuations and disputes regarding same on a range of job types/size including the construction of Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

This book is intended to alert firms to some of the risks they can face in a competitive market from the perspective of trading capacity and cost. It would especially apply to smaller firms but risks faced by larger firms are also identified and the book is intended to help all firms avoid some of these risks rather than learn it all from expensive experience. The book will also tell you why, all other things being equal, it is safest to trade at your most competitive on the larger jobs in your T/O at what I call your ‘Ideal Period’ of hire.

This is still the only book in the world on the subject [in English anyway] and I am confident it will give readers a useful perspective in the scaffolding market place and give you an idea of where your firm stands in price terms at increasing period of hire. It was written with the prime intention of simplifying and shortening the original version but also contains new discussions of firms in Competition, of Extra Hire and the use of System scaffolding which have never before been publicly available.

The book has taken nearly 2 years to write based on long term experience and recent research in the current market and those interested can obtain a free short 1.5 page content summary via the email address provided in the 1st post [or a private message on this forum] and then judge if they would find it useful.

PS: I could include the interesting cover picture in this post if any Forum user could kindly tell me how to insert a jpg file !

Last edited:
when you post a reply look at the icons above where you write and there is a small picture one with two little mountains and the sun, click on that, browse your files till you find the image you want double click etc etc,

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

p.s will this book tell me, whether the dodgy geezer who phones and ask "awight mate I'm just looking for a price on a scaff, ya know a ballpark figure, it don't need nuffin major just summat chucking up so I can get up ta roof, ya know" whether hes gonna pay or not?

good luck with the book pal

Thanks Dandaps, All I get when I do that is 'Please post a URL of your image'

A client who ONLY looks at the price is an idiot in my opinion

I have gained thousands of contracts in my time in the game, when I was not the cheapest quote, Scaffold Companies should build their reputation on service, reliability, quality, and safe working practices.

Get this right and you will have clients coming back time and time again many not too bothered about the price.

Sorry Bob, thanks but no thanks to the "book", I have fifty years experience in this game and "pricing work" is a skill to be learned at the coal face not from a book or course. (Is there any mention of the brown envelopes).

More's the pity that "Scaffolders" are not trained on the job as we were years ago.
...........................................................................................................
Hi Rigger, This book is about the underlying rules concerning cost and capacity in trading applying to firms of all sizes including your own firm. It does not set out to include the other commercial factors you refer to which depend on the specific relationships between firms and their clients which have the greatest effect on the smaller jobs. I hope this makes it clearer.

Top Bottom