Basic inspection course

goggsyboy

Reaction score
Hi I am just looking for any information about the basic inspectors course.i am doing the course soon.and any info would be helpfull.

Scaffolding Safety Inspection BASIC

enquire about this course

Department: Scaffolding

Course Reference Number: CP 0502b

Aim

The course is intended for anyone who is responsible for carrying out statutory scaffold inspections in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and scaffolders wishing to expand their knowledge of scaffold inspection. Delegates may include employees from outside the scaffolding industry such as Site Managers and Agents, Site Engineers, Health and Safety Professionals etc. The course will cover basic scaffolding structures and the fundamental requirements for safe and legally compliant scaffolding.

Pre Requisite

This course is intended for persons responsible for inspecting and checking scaffolds for safe use and for signing certificates and registers in accordance with statutory regulations. The following are all deemed as acceptable alternatives to passing the ConstructionSkills Health, safety and environment test, A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE MUST BE ATTACHED TO THIS APPLICATION, Current CCNSG Safety Passport SCATS Card, NEBOSH Construction Certificates Taken within 2 years of application, Current Offshore Survival Certificates OPITO Approved, SSSTS or SMSTS Taken within 2 years of application, FAS Safe Pass

Target Audience

Optimum Number: Up to 12 participants

Course Duration: 3 days

Training Aids

Course hand outs together with practical demonstration and practice.

Assessment

Delegates will be required to complete both the Practical inspection and report writing assessment as well as the Theory test in order to pass the course

NVQ Level:

NVQ Mandatory Modules

NVQ Optional Modules

Certification

On successful completion of the course candidates will receive a CISRS certificate.

NVQ Awarding Body:

Course Objectives

On successful completion of the course delegates will be able to:- Identify and inspect scaffolding components, State the main requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, Work at Height Regulations 2005 and codes of practice relating to scaffolding, SG4:10, Identify the construction requirements common to all scaffolds, TG20:13, Carry out inspections and fault identification on access scaffolds, Complete and maintain reports in accordance with current statutory provision

When i did this course i think there was 2 scaffolders and rest were building site managers. For a scaffolder its dead easy its like taking your part 1 again, unfortunately the non scaffolders are clueless and so for the first half you will probably be bored.

Then they start telling you about how once you have inspected a scaffold its now on your head if it goes wrong, they tell you how to record accurately because if you find yourself in court defending yourself its all you have. At this point all the non scaffolders realize they are trying to get shafted by their bosses because they are trying cut costs meanwhile if it goes wrong the blame doesnt go to the boss, it lands on the inspector.

How they could possibly teach a non scaffolder how to inspect a scaffold is a complete mystery and yet there they are trying to learn in 2/3 days the complete workings of a scaffold.

on the bright side if its safety access your going to, the buffet dinners are great

Have fun

If your already a Scaff, why do you need to do the course, you do realise you can inspect scaffold's which your ticket allows you to erect.

Are you a scaffolder??? No he's a fuckin brain surgeon lookin to do a scaffold inspection course.. get ya head down mush it's been a long day.....

Ohh dear doggiebollocks...sometimes rather than try & be smart its better to keep your mouth shut & be thought of as an idiot rather then say something that just confirms to everyone what a real dumb fcuk you are cos if u were a qualified scaffolder instead of a plasterer & wannabe then you'd know that if your all ready a qualified tckt holder then that allows you to inspect any scaffold up to ur grade & the SITs was only brought in for non scaffolders to allow them to be deemed " competent "to do a 7 day inpection of their site scaffolds under the WAH REGs - and as such is both a waste of time & money to do if your a scaffolder!!! - thats basic knowledge you would aqquire under a basic scaffolders course..

Q: Who is competent to inspect a scaffold?

Legislation specifies that anyone carrying out an inspection must be competent to do so. To be competent that person must have the necessary training, knowledge and experience.

As a minimum the NASC would recommend:

a) A CISRS Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 & Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience.

b) A CISRS Advanced Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1, Part 2 & Advanced courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience. The contents and overall objectives of the CISRS courses can be found in the CAP 609 General Information Booklet Appendix A-C pages 37-44.

c) A CISRS Scaffolding Supervisor cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the basic scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 and Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience. If they also hold an Advanced Scaffolders card, then they would be deemed competent to inspect advanced structures. The content and overall objectives of the CISRS Scaffolding Supervisor course can be found in the CAP 609 General Information Booklet pages 22-23.

d) A person who has been on a CISRS Basic Scaffold Inspection Training Scheme Course SITS would be deemed competent to inspect a basic scaffold structure provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course. This course is suitable for: Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting scaffolds and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005. Note: If candidates who have attended the Basic Course want to inspect more complex scaffolds, then they will need to complete the Advanced Course after they have gained sufficient experience inspecting Basic Scaffolds on a regular basis.

e) A person who has been on a CISRS Advanced Scaffold Inspection Training Scheme Course * (min. two days) would be deemed competent to inspect more complex scaffold structures provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course. This course is suitable for: Experienced Scaffold Inspectors, Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting, commissioning and handing over scaffolds, and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

A CISRS SITS qualification will remain valid for a 5 year period. At which point the delegate will be required to re sit to course and renew their CISRS SITS card in order to maintain their inspection status.

f) Persons who are required to carry out inspections of System Scaffolds must, in addition to the basic scaffold inspection course, have product knowledge of the system to be inspected. This may be sought via CISRS approved training providers, the manufacturer/supplier or as an absolute minimum by obtaining and using the information provided in the official product user guide. This would also apply to CISRS Scaffolder and Advanced card holders, however they could be deemed competent to inspect system scaffold if they already have system product endorsements on the rear of their cards.

Hahaha... girl from the local chippy is wanting to do the inspection course soon mate

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Anyway southernshitstabber why do you keep banging on about plastering? Are you gutted you have no qualifications in something that's a skill?? I got bored of it but will always have my skill and qualification along with my lucky bag part 2 soon!!!!

Omg lol ....u only just realised i take it up the bum lol.
The thing is bigbaddogsbreath my unskilled scaffolding/h&s & other associated qualifications have done me just fine m8....tbh i'm the one sitting in my nice £750k pad with a cpl of swank cars on the drive,2x buy2lets & a holiday home in florida -all payed for & deciding if i'm gonna retire now or wait till i'm 55...but u crack on son, where are you working again - oh yeh Belfast dockyards- sounds like real fun to me.

Last edited:
I'm in Cardiff now old boy... I was never on the docks your thinking. . And the ones who brag about this and that normally got nothing sat smoking roll ups!!!! I'm sound with my 3 bed semi payin my mortgage new may I add and my paid for 2011 plate merc.. god I wish I was u......

ya fecken pric.k dogs gonads just goes agencies will take anyone on with the mentality of dogs b.ollocks get your head down and sniff ur own arse

So are you's saying that this course is a waste of time and money? I was just looking to get as much tickets as I can.

So are you's saying that this course is a waste of time and money? I was just looking to get as much tickets as I can.

Tbh goggsy unless u really want it u'd be better off putting the money into a sssts or even 2wards ur hgv- these are quals that a potential employer would rather you have. But it depends on the type of work you do or are after.

I would say some companies policys say you need to be an inspector, not just a scaffolder, so yes it comes in handy in the times when some site agent/safety officer wants to act up.

As i have just learnt the 5 day supervisors course also incorporates the inspectors course. The first 2 days IS the basic inspectors course but as far as i know you cant get the basic inspectors card from it. Odd?. So you may want to invest in supervisors course instead but thats up to you. I suppose it depends where you want to head with your career

Just seen Southerns post and agree HGV is a big asset

Top Bottom