Scaffold Truck Building and Conversions (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hi Guys, We have around 40 7.5 tonne vehicles to convert over the next 10 weeks to scaffold spec trucks. Having spoken to several of our scaffolding customers we have conflicting opinions. Some want closed backs on the bed, others don't, some want short capes behind the headboard others don't. We've been asked for everything from steel beds, bespoke headboards, custom rope hooks, scaffold pole holes down the bed to fall arrest systems. Which of course we can do without problem, however we want to build these ready to go and modifications take time and also impact on our production schedules.
We thought it would be a good idea to list on this forum to see what you all believe to be the best 7.5 tonne and 18 tonne scaffold truck body specification. Your thoughts?

Sleeper cab,optics,beer fridge,sky sports,anti aircraft gun for the h and s nonces and a greased bed so when i slam on the gear just falls off......o and 3 cup holders thanks ;)

Haha love it mate,i believe the specs can be regional,northwest id say 7.5 tonne with ally sides,maybe two 6ft dropdown sections at front for for fittings and short tube ,personally i would leave the back open,plenty of hooks on chassis for straps/rope,send some flat plate at the bulkhead high up for gravlocks or ladder beams,most important is the bed liner to have as little joints as possible and none proud,maybe a couple more plug ins in the cab for phone chargers and a working heater lol.....spent more time in these than at home so best of luck, little extras that help the blokes will get you repeat trade i promise ;)

For the last few years ive done my own & heres my spec
18 ton sleeper cab curtainsider (easier to chop down) 26' bed
The sleepercab can be converted with an xtra seat & tool storage
Twin passenger seat - 240v converter to allow power tool charging & a small 24v oven for warming pies.
Built in eye wash & 1st aid point.reversing camera & additiional reversing & work led lights.
full dropsides around & pockets for the tube to make a rack. 2× underbody lockers for straps & odds n sods

for us this is the ideal setup

Last edited:
Fukinell SP .....pie warmers and eye washers.....you mate are my boss of the year.....i bet the pies are hollands aswell :love:

Nice of you to ask scaffolders and scaffold owners what they would require but shouldn't your first port of call be to the vosa website to tie in with new regulations coming into force for all trucks carrying multiple equipment to have full drop down sides if it was up to me I would like a fridge built into the sides with easy access for a cool one .

yeah maximus just in case ?,you never know if you have an adolescent driver who as no respect for the law and blatantly over loads the truck so he don't have to go back to the job ????????lol

Id have to agree with sp with the spec on an 18 tonner on a 7.5 6FT Dropsides at the front and tube slots further down the bed

All scaffold lorry should have a tail board I've been fined £60 for not having one a few years back now all 3 of our lorrys got tail boards otherwise classed as un secure load

Tbh i thought about a crane myself but thought on an 18 tonner it was a lot of weight to lose instead of carrying gear- maybe better suited to a 24t+.
As well as being something else to go wrong & get lola inspected its another qualification the driver needs to be able to use it....bit of a pain really most sites etc have access with a forklift/ crane but there again spose it depends on the type of work you do

Brogans used to have a lorry with a hiab that could reach up 30m and could lift a tonne at that height ,
They used to erect a canterleverd loading bay and unload all the cup lock straight up onto it.

A Hiab Is A Handy Thing To Have Folks, Dont Know If I Would Have One On A 7.5 Tonner Though It A Lot Of Weight To Loose.

Your right Ger ,
A Hiab ways over a tonne and it comes of your pay load
Which is why most lorrys that have a Hiab are 32 tonne GVR
Which still gives you around a 20 tonne load

Most Motors Even Ten Tonners Have Hiabs Here Phil, In Scotland Its Mainly Pick Ups And Twelve To Eighteen Tonner, You Dont See Many Eight Tonners The Way You Do Down South, I Like The Eight Tonner And Mixed Load Theory,A Good Squad Can Do Anything Then.

Like I have always said Ger ,
A good scaffolder with a nice mixed load can get over just about anything

Top Bottom