Know all safety man

tim c

Reaction score
A question ?
A safety man has pulled me on a transom or any tube not protruding out of the back of a single by far enough. he says it must stick out the back of the single by at least 50 mm, I was always told that a tranny must be at least level with the back edge of the single , therefore past the centre of the ledger by 50 mm , anyone know the guidance on this ?
Thanks
Tim

He's being a bit pedantic there Tim, tho technically he's correct, I remember this coming up in scaf inspection course. Same applies to stop ends ledgers etc. looks tidier,seen beams wrapped on the bare limits,dont look right imo.

Sounds like a tit,
Ask him the specifications on being a tit and ask him does he comply?

Thanks for that .
They are checking for everything at the moment , like you said , a bit pedantic what kind of a disaster would make a clip come off the back of a tranny , every road I drive along I see many scaffolds that any inspector could rip to pieces ( where's their compliance sheets ), but if that's all he could find wrong on that job , then not so bad I suppose .

Early nomination for swottiest first post of 2015 for Neil Bewick.
Welcome to the forum fella.;)

As long as it's half on the ledger and in the clip is fine, come on we've all done it.

As long as it's half on the ledger and in the clip is fine, come on we've all done it.

"If the transom is half on the ledger then an end cap must be placed loosely on the end so it looks like it is through far enough", page 71, TG20:13 book

Tell him your sorry he got 18 fixit badges off jimmy saville but to kindly go and take his face for a sh1t , ghetto polizei :mad:

Have had same problem many times with many pedantic clip board cliffs,unfortunately they wete proven to be correct every time we queeried it good luck in your future battles with them mate.

Fairs fair on the snag i spose but a bit ott...dont bother changing it though just put a pin in the end- hey presto & jr spanners turned into a magic wand & problem solved lol

He is an ex scaffolder , always the worst.

Ex Scaff or not, It's not too easy to fault the man when he is correct. (and he is correct)

For future reference but not to be recommended, there are a few key defense pointers:
1) key words "should be" not the same as must be or indeed shall be.
2) "Transoms should not protrude from the outer face of the scaffold such that they would cause obstruction, for example while lifting materials"
3) TG20 is a guidance and not a requirement.

The points mentioned above will not work long term in your favor and will not come to your aid if you have not read the books to which you are expected to build. These guidelines are considered "best practice" for a reason. Unfortunately if you do not follow them you will have no protection for what may follow.

We all make mistakes or oversights sometimes it's better to put your hands up and move on.
Regards Alan

Ex Scaff or not, It's not too easy to fault the man when he is correct. (and he is correct)

For future reference but not to be recommended, there are a few key defense pointers:
1) key words "should be" not the same as must be or indeed shall be.
2) "Transoms should not protrude from the outer face of the scaffold such that they would cause obstruction, for example while lifting materials"
3) TG20 is a guidance and not a requirement.

The points mentioned above will not work long term in your favor and will not come to your aid if you have not read the books to which you are expected to build. These guidelines are considered "best practice" for a reason. Unfortunately if you do not follow them you will have no protection for what may follow.

We all make mistakes or oversights sometimes it's better to put your hands up and move on.
Regards Alan

You just gotta love the "soul master ov scaffolding" who is Mr Reade. I was gunna say a Tranni with a couple of xtra inch. Which way would you go. If you fight the guy he will look into other things as payback. Be tactile and ask him to justify his findings. Only then and you really need to produce the document as reference.
It's time to make love not war and if that's the only thing he's worried is a Tranni and a couple ov xtra inch. I wonder what else is on his mind all day.

7/16 is correct, wind this guy up at your peril!!
You will find yourself extracting him from your rectum all day and every day.
This also raises questions about 7/16's knowledge of trannies with a couple of extra inches :) I could be reading too much into this ?

Goodness me...I can only imagine those pesky safety men will be planning on making you fix those short transforms with 90 degree load bearing couplers soon...

just to be extra safe on site in the future...

@ Tim C

Re-GUIDANCE: A Question from the Advanced Scaffold Inspection Course ( SITS )...

Q) According to Technical GUIDANCE 20:13 Section 6.8 transoms should allow a projection of what distance beyond the coupler ?

A) 25mm

Source: Advanced Scaffold Inspection Test Paper…

As Alan has eluded too, this measurement of 25mm is GUIDANCE...

Perhaps, the Safety Mans Organisation have Scaffold Procedures that supersede
NASC TG ???

Just remember, be diplomatic, its their ball, so play their game, however, always record any anomalies or doubt you have and ask for clear written directives where possible...

Top Bottom