8' tower how high can it go?

sadact

Reaction score
I was asked today how high a 8' tower can go (4 standards)? Lightweight Independent, concrete floor, solid brick for ties, top lift boarded no ladder access. No wind etc?

As long as you can tie into the wall then. . . as high as the wall.

But wouldn't the scaffold weight eventually buckle the standards at ground level?

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

No ladder access, the bloke is climbing out the top window!

Wont buckle unless hes a fat ol brikee. Or his names bobby.

An undesigned lightweight scaffold can go 30mts as long as its tied according to tg20:13. Anything above needs a design.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

If he's climbing out top window then do a dropper of the top.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Wont buckle unless hes a fat ol brikee. Or his names bobby.

A manhole cover buckles under his mass.

How high is the working lift. I would say get a local company in to have a look.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Havaspanawilltravel is our leading authority on 8'tower's, Im sure he wouldnt mind a pm or 2.

Thanks, it was just a question I was asked and I would say Scaffy hit the nail on the head!

Last edited:
How high is the working lift. I would say get a local company in to have a look.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Havaspanawilltravel is our leading authority on 8'tower's, Im sure he wouldnt mind a pm or 2.

He's only good if its below 2lifts mate.....lol lol

I used the eguide and got a very light duty to go 40m as standard, 50 m high with double standards to the 24m mark. There's the usual warning as both examples exceed the max recommended leg load of 20kn. Both very possible.

by the sounds of it,would be quicker to put up a tower, droppers and trussouts need to be hauled up,how easy would that be?:unsure:ide nominate bit of twenty and scaffy to man the ropes:D

If you are building a ladder access type tower 2.4m x 1.2m the tube & fitt will have a self weight of around 86kg per rising m.
Decking to same will be around 95kg per lift of boards.

Your boarded landings may be up to 9.0m between as a max. Not sure I would exceed 4.0m for various reasons (not the least of which is getting a 10+m ladder into the tower).

You would then need to consider the platform imposed loads required say 1.5kN/mSq + one at 50%

Then theres the superimposed loads for landings:

"The superimposed loading adopted in calculations should be not less than 1.0kN/mSq for all platforms in the ladder towers and ladder bays within a vertical loaded height of 10m"

These loads when accumulate may be spread over the 4 corners of your tower indicating the maximum base reaction. this is what you will be balancing you maximum allowable leg load against to attain your maximum allowable height.

Now all you need is, paper pencil and a calculator!

If you are building a ladder access type tower 2.4m x 1.2m the tube & fitt will have a self weight of around 86kg per rising m.
Decking to same will be around 95kg per lift of boards.

Your boarded landings may be up to 9.0m between as a max. Not sure I would exceed 4.0m for various reasons (not the least of which is getting a 10+m ladder into the tower).

You would then need to consider the platform imposed loads required say 1.5kN/mSq + one at 50%

Then theres the superimposed loads for landings:

"The superimposed loading adopted in calculations should be not less than 1.0kN/mSq for all platforms in the ladder towers and ladder bays within a vertical loaded height of 10m"

These loads when accumulate may be spread over the 4 corners of your tower indicating the maximum base reaction. this is what you will be balancing you maximum allowable leg load against to attain your maximum allowable height.

Now all you need is, paper pencil and a calculator!

I put that in google translate and it blew up.

Top Bottom