impact drivers (1 Viewer)

geeman

Reaction score
Anyone know wot to look for when buying one.im old school scaff but everyone is raving on about them and was wondering where to start with one.looked on ebay and it's a little confusing

Theres loads of threads on here m8 just hit the search button

Tbh you wont look back when you get one....hilti i believe are still doing their fleet offer but most guys who can buy them- we run makita btw251 good in all weathers & easy to change the brushes on . Its often cheeper to buy a bare unit on ebay for circa £120 & a cpl of patent batterys @ £40 each then a 2ndhand charger for £20 total circa £220 or i think a new kit in a shinny box is about £360.

Hi Geeman. I have the Dewalt. Best tool I have ever brought. Makes life so much easier. It was a little pricey at £340. Thats drill, case, 2 x lithium ion bayteries plus charger. Smiths tools sell them and deliver where ever you are......

The end piece. Where the driver has the same as drill Chuck etc the wrench has a socket bit so you can easily snap on a 21mm socket

dandaps are using that Milwaukee at the moment and is it any good mate? it looks the business.

No not using one at the moment but definitely will be getting the Milwaukee one,
I was working on a house few weeks ago and a couple ov scaffs from another firm was using em, one had the Milwaukee and one a Makita, and both lads said the milwaukee was miles better, just the right power and easier to handle with the battery in the handle.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

can get em off ebay imported from usa will just have change the plug on the charger or get them over here but I thik they are dearer to buy over here, crazy

Try the Milwaukee one Milwaukee 2461 22 M12 12 Volt Lithium ion Cordless 1 4 in Impact Wrench Kit | eBay

no big bulky battery on the bottom because this inserts into handle plus its the impact wrench you want not the impact driver

The thing is this like most of the IWs that hold the battery within the handle theyre only 12v which isnt man enough for scaffolding the min ur looking for is 18v -4amp batts got both the power & duration of use ......you'll be forever putting it on charge.
ive tried most makes & tbh they've all got their pros & conns . & due to the nature of our use or should i say abuse - the important thing to look for is not only the durability of your IW but also likely repair costs. Whenever i go to buy parts for our makitas, the fact there are always loads of dewaults on the repair bench would put me off getting one. The milli although looks quite Gucci seems a bit to heavy & brutish. The 2nd gen hiltis seem to have sorted out most of their problems-& are now slightly bigger & more robust with the fleet hire & replace/repair service they provide can for a self employed guy be a better option the purchase a new one.
the makitas are really easy & cheep to repair & like the dewaults interchange their batterys with other tools within their range.

Last edited:
I have a Bosch IW and it has taken a lot of abuse in the last 2 years so I need to replace it this year and from talking with SP ( who knows his onions regards IW ) a Makita is what I will be getting .

Just been told to get a bushless makita as it saves money on repairs.dont really like the idea of paying 300 quid for a drill then keep paying to have it repaired. 50 quid for a spanner and it lasts years.

The brushless motor makita has only just been released onto the uk market & so is hard to judge but it is said that being brushless means less resistance & so the battery is supposed to last longer - the only thing that worries me the brushes take the wear away from the motor(armiture) & cost about £3 & without them would a new brushless armiture costing £40 would be the part needing regular changing?

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Just been told to get a bushless makita as it saves money on repairs.dont really like the idea of paying 300 quid for a drill then keep paying to have it repaired. 50 quid for a spanner and it lasts years.

£50 may sound a better option but it wont save ur wrists in time to come....theres no doubt that an IW makes our life easier -but it accompanies your spanner, not very often though tbh i cant remember the last time i used it but i know if i take the frog off i'll end up coming back down to get it lol;)

I'm on my 2nd hilti fleet lease and the newer hilti is much better and there repair service is 2nd to none
But
The price of the fleet management has risen a lot on these so make sure you work out all the costs

My wrists have all but stopped hurting since I started using mine SP they really do improve your old age and how much more you can get done before you start to hurt , I would say i can do the same amount I did 10 years ago before it starts to hurt ,

Lol phil- the deciding moment for me was a megashore with in excess of 4000 doubles in it....spanner 0 points....IWs 10/10 lol

Iw's over spanners anyday, my prefered choise after using both makitas and milwalkee's is the makita. However i have heard the ryobi is a good buy with the body alone only costing 90 sods, and all the internal bits to it are built by its parent company....( MILWAKEE ). So i may try this one for a comparison test.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

I have a Bosch IW and it has taken a lot of abuse in the last 2 years so I need to replace it this year and from talking with SP ( who knows his onions regards IW ) a Makita is what I will be getting .

Good choise mr maximus.

I've had the brushless Makita for 5 months and to be honest it's a lot better than the dtw251 as the battery lasts an extra couple of hours and there's no maintainance recommend it bar none.

Top Bottom