Art Project - Scaffold Design

lifersfc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm working on a scaffold-based art project, and I've been reading up on scaffold design.

Anything I've overlooked below? Too few diagonal braces? Do I need braces in the center of the structure? Appreciate the help!

The platform below (which is the base of the artwork) should be able to support 12 people simultaneously (so let's assume at least 24 people for a 2x safety factor). I'll have guy wires off the major 6 vertexes for added stability. The top decking will be made of custom panels of 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame backing. Dimension wise, we have 10' standards and 7' ledgers.

Max compressive load per standard = 5,000 lbs
We're safe unless all 24 people load the same leg, which is not possible

Max allowable center load per ledger: 360 lbs
Decking will prevent concentrated loads, but this still allows for 2 people

Max uniformly distributed load per ledger: 735 lbs
We're safe because 24 ledgers X 735 lbs = 17,640 lbs = ~100 people

3/4" plywood decking max live load (assumes 36" span): 30 lbs/sq. ft.
30 lbs/sq. ft. * 276 sq. ft. = 8,280 = ~40 people

Screen_Shot_2015_01_19_at_10_05_58_PM.png

Morning Lifersec,
Without getting involved in your particular design there are several criteria that you would need to consider.
If you scaffold structure is in the UK you would need a design prepared by a competent Design Engineer would be required to design your structure in accordance with European Regulations.

By virtue of the fact you are talking in pounds and inches I assume you are in the US which would require you to follow OSHA. However the design of the scaffold would follow the same principals but may have different loading requirements.

You would be well advised to seek the input of a local scaffolding provider
regards
Alan

What type of scaffolding is it.

The frame will support that easily. Do you really need to allow people on to it?

Your drawing shows a 3m lift height, which will be a bugger to build, can you have an intermediate lift?, the structure should easily carry your load about 5kN/m2 but not sure your decking plan will, why not use the system decks?

Top Bottom