Beams bolted into concrete (1 Viewer)

Pumbaa1987

Reaction score
Alright scaffs, have a question. what's the biggest tower you've ever erected on beams bolted into the wall? So far this job is going to be an 8m x-beam span supported by a tower one end but the other end will be supported by a 2m ladder beam bolted flat into the wall with 8x band and plate with m12 anchors into concrete.then 2x 2m ladder beams from the bolted beam onto standards supported on a wall.the wall is reinforced steel and block work.then an 18m high 4m light duty tower erected on the beam span,thoughts on this?

I would imagine that you really should have a design. The permitted loads would very much be dictated by the tie test results. You are using the strongest assembly as far as I know, but the substrate your drilling into is as important.

It's a design I came up with. It will be going into the side of 600mm deep concrete floor.we have a tie testing machine but not sure if you can shear test with it

I asked the question once about testing shear. I was told that it was possible, but very difficult. You can assume shear by using the assembly you already have and manufacturing guidance. If memory serves, 20kn is about right for each fixing.

20kn is right by all the calculations.have you done something Similar then?

I've done quite a few variations of this job. It's a simple enough solution, but I do know that you have to know what you are fixing to.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

I would guess that you may need to drill in another supporting beam to get the required load. A total guess though.

Defiantly reinforced concrete.was also going to bolt another beam into the 2nd floor of the building and tie that back to the 3rd lift of the tower for extra support. Thanks for your input

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

This is all just over a flat roof of a connecting corridor of a plant room and building.you can't get into the space to see what the roofs built out of or I would just erect It on the roof

Don't risk it. Stick to your plans, they are sound.

Band and plate when used with a half moon washer , you can get some massive shear , I was told by an old designer that in a good fixing you could get somewhere around 45KN shear on each fitting .
We done a temporary roof a couple of years back with bands and plate into brick work and short ladder beams ,
it had 9 lifts , 6 boarded plus the temporary roof and it never moved a mm

That's some shear there. I've done similar work before the firm had proper brackets that an alloy beam fit straight into, Pretty sure they couldnt take no where near that shear

I have a similar support up at the mo on a gable end which then in turn picks up a temp roof....although like you i designed it originally my designer changed the bolt size to m16 & calcs were proofed along with pull test & proof tests.
What you have to remember is its not the 1980s & everything needs to be designed if there was an incident your going to jail.
You can always limit the span & so sheer by taking the original tower up a lot higher & attaching some pullbacks from that to the waling beam ...returning them back down into rakers that terminate onto a buttress with kentiledge- bit like an overgrown canterlever

Sounds like a fun job. I wish I could do that but the original tower is taken up two lifts and 3xladder beams onto a concrete ledge with a span of 2200mm from ledge to tower to support the x-beams

Top Bottom