VAT on council pavement licence (2 Viewers)

marksmiles

Reaction score
It is probably true that council pavement licences are VAT exampt.

Where a scaffolding firm passes on the cost of licence(s) to a client, would he apply VAT on the licence fee, where he is adding VAT for the provision of scaffolding services?

I suppose its down to the scaffolding company what they do regarding charging vat or not.

But I charge on top of the council permit for admin costs to myself,cover yourself street jobs can be a pain.

re "I charge on top of the council permit for admin costs"

Where accountants are sometimes derided for their attention to detail, but where one wants to get it right.

So, if you were drafting an invoice, would it be more accurate to charge out for admin costs, otherwise would it not be open to challenge that the VAT is non chargeable and better to charge admin for what it is, admin. and not charge it masquerading as VAT?

Well if you don't get charged vat on licence why do you need to charge vat on your invoice.

Its a grey area but if its zero rated to you why do you need to charge vat to the customer?

And the admin fee just covers your time put in on the application of scaff licence.

And the saying is time is money.And its your time so charge that was my accountants advice.

I would think your accountant or vat office would tell you in a blink.
perhaps if your charging for the complete service,pavement license included. 1 invoice is tidier.

Reguardless of being charged from the council its part of your overall package of works & u would normally lump the whole figure of works together & then add vat - if your client isnt happy he can allways claim it back from hmrc rather than leaving urself open to a potential liability at a later date

I do the same as Southern mate. Combine it alltogether, that way you don't open yourself up for awkward questions and breakdown of invoices! That extra 20% is better in your cashflow than someone elses.

I always try and get the customer to obtain and pay for the permits saves all the hassle and deposits etc ,
But if I do have to get one then it all just goes on the invoice and VAT is charged on the whole thing.

I always try and get the customer to obtain and pay for the permits saves all the hassle and deposits etc ,
But if I do have to get one then it all just goes on the invoice and VAT is charged on the whole thing.

Hi Phil just curious has to how this happens as up here in order to obtain a permit we have to show CISRS cards, Insurance certificates for scaffolding, scaffold designs and in some cases traffic management details. I'm gueessing your clients may be big firms and not Joe public that can do all of this?
We just did one in Nottingham and had to get permission from all the utility companies too, just in case they intended to dig the pavement at that given time.
I'm finding pavement permits are getting harder and harder to obtain these days!

If you are providing a service
(Getting the license for them)
Then all you charges are liable to Vat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just money makes for highway we have a job up at the min and the base plate 1 base plate is sitting on path 2in not the standed just the base plate got 50 quid fine and had to get permit takes the p

Why do you have to send details of insurance and tickets every eight weeks on a job that's already erected and passed.

you just telephoned before to extend now it has to be all sent off again.

Do they destroy them why cant they hold a copy for the year on file?

Top Bottom