Band+plate v Mills 90 (1 Viewer)

Best fitting of all?

• Total voters
band and plate everytime for roof saddling and when scaffoldings tight between uprights in confined areas.
but the best doubles got to be the little giant,fookin good for nipping tube to steels like off fire escapes

How's things Jtm. Hope you had a good christmas bud. & hopefully a better new year.
I'm ok Jeff I havent been on the spanner for over three weeks. Not working at the moment but have a little paint selling thing going on the side, so I havent been without. If things go as well as predicted then I may not have to twirl a spanner again.
Out of curiousity lads, whats your opinion on steel ladders, you know the 8 metre ones that are supposed to be illegal weight to carry by one man yet we still do?
Hate them almost as bad as brick-guards.

Jtm

Good to hear that john. Hopefully things work out for you matey. Was going to ask if any work about in new year. & was looking forward to working with you again. Oh well see what happens. Prob won't speak to you again before New Year's Eve. So all the best & happy new year bud. Keep in touch.:bigsmile:

My opinion on 8m ladders is we dont stock them theyre an accident waiting to happen and weigh a fuckin ton

I'm ok Jeff I havent been on the spanner for over three weeks. Not working at the moment but have a little paint selling thing going on the side, so I havent been without. If things go as well as predicted then I may not have to twirl a spanner again.
Out of curiousity lads, whats your opinion on steel ladders, you know the 8 metre ones that are supposed to be illegal weight to carry by one man yet we still do?
Hate them almost as bad as brick-guards.

John I only have 6m maximum mate ,
And that's only for roofers work where you don't need every lift fully boarded ,
I try and use 3m-4m max for the reason of weight and the lads trying to fix them,
Best thing to do with an 8m ladder is cut it in half as allscaff they are an accident waiting to happen .

I have one 8m ladder! Then I ain't gotta crack the rope out until the 5th lift!

Ok well little giant is a burton product bi ben / ubm was " bombs " i believe

Burton also did a pressed steel fitting with " speed thread"

Been at it 25 years never used or seen a chair on a B&P maybe the older members like phillios frederik or HSWT etc have used these

Gazeway - Higgs and hill - bam - hbg , anglewest i think did all the labour supply for this outfit

The way it used to work was if you won Higgs and Hills contract you had to hire the kit from Gazeways , which where part of Higgs and Hills .

I still got a few chairs knocking about that I use as paper weights , they used to stop the band spreading when you done up the thumb screw , I ain't sure if they made a difference to strength :unsure:

H&H gazeway bam hbg had a lot of kit was all sold of a year or so ago

B+plate all the time... Fast as f..k used with DH
The chair did make a difference to slip load but to be honest it's been that long now I cant
Remember.. I will route out the bible and see if I can get an answer.
Happy new year lads.

Mills Double all day long, I am just in process of showing our NZ cousins the correct way to use them. There was 3000 7/16th speed thread in our fitting bay bagged up but nobody would use them as someone at some stage said 'they were banned from use' as they an old type fitting and none of the younger scaffs like them, when I showed them how quick and strong it is to base out a job with them, they now can't get of the things. GKN Mills Hammersmith Branch 1973 to 1986 best firm in the world.

I Agree Bob, When It Was Gkn Mills It Was A Terrific Place To Work, We Got Taught By Our Chargehands, Men Took And Were Given Time To Show The Labourers And Trainees How To Set Off And How To Do The Job, I Noticed A Difference When It Became Gkn Kwikform, The Management They Brought In Were Crap (Not Scaffolders), They Thought They Got Results By Being Obnoxouis, I Was With Gkn From Oct 1978 To Sept 1982

when I started back in 1964 the Mills 1/2 inch fitting was all they used, a 2m lift felt like you were stretching 2.5m with the double on double fastened at the top, and they like the 1/2 inch sleeves were always kicking back and giving out plenty of blood blisters.

The band and plate was a great fitting but you needed 3 hands when used in conjunction with the chair

@ Fredrik…set is 6.25 Kn, according to the SGB Bible…

I think the Captain Cook is around 6.1 Kn, but Im sure someone will post the correct Kn...

Top Bottom