scaffold designers pi ss me off (1 Viewer)

Orac

Reaction score
working on a bridge job at the moment, pretty big job 1st section starts off as a bird cage is linked with beams over a public walkway/cycleway, we have a minimum height to underside of haki beams 2.750m, but the path is on a slope, why dont the designers have a visit to site 1st before drawing up a job in their ideal environment, where everything is flat, level & perfectly plumb.:eek:

i wonder if doctor doom, the man called hayes will actually use his keyboard & type a reply to this. . . .;)

hes not the designer btw just an old scaff, who works within our little team:D

He did,nt play for bamber bridge by any chance did he orac :bigsmile:

andy hayes one of the best lads you will ever meet top fella

Not one of mine ?

Hi Orac

Dont think this is one of mine, but none of us are perfect.

Unfortunately we do not always get time to get out to site, but just work off sketches from the Supervisor.

We often get a call that a job starts in a few days and the Client wants a design before he starts.

In these tougher times nobody likes to tell the customer that it is at least a week before the design is supplied.

I like to think that most scaffolders out there can make an educated/ experienced judgement if a change is needed.

Take care Orac

If a change is needed do you have to wait until the drawing is updated or not?:suspicious:

Ragscaff

Changes to drawings

Hi

It would depend on the change, some changes to standard positions due to obstructions or slight increases in lift heights are not usually significant.

If the chargehand is not sure then a call to the Supervisor and/ or designer would be best.

Most adanced/ experienced scaffolders know what is okay to change, but in this modern age less seem to want to take the decisions/ responsiblity.

All the best

Chris Eng

I have always in the past made changes to items on drawings if minor signed & dated them as I have my gold card. But when I attened the HSE meeting I was told this is no longer accepted! If we were to wait for changes then jobs would fall behind & costs would get out of hand!

My Advanced card is so I can read a drawing to an Advanced stage not change them. I think that was what I was told :weird::sad2:

Ragscaff

Rag i have always made any minor alterations to drawings but have always contacted the designer, in the event that something goes wrong the onus is on you, in these modern times an email takes no time to confirm variations.

Scaffolder on site with mobile explaining to office on the changes needed then getting an e-mail back with amendments ! Like to time that!

I agree in these times you need to confirm changes but at what cost, I thought we were trained to do the job. Confirm changes on the phone update drawing later, not now!

i agree totally with what you are saying Rag and like most advanced scaffolders nearly all our work is done from experience, but where designs are involved we are purely there to tighten up nuts.
How the hell we ever manage hangers ,roofs, canterlevers when we just drive a lorry to a job and got on with it is a mystery to them :)

I could not agree more fella,a few years ago i was erecting a free standing heavy duty platform, dims 15m long x 15m wide x 9m high, and the amount of materials the designer put into this , taking into account the max weight was no more than a ton per item, you would have thought that an aircraft carrier was going to land on it,I ended up useing three 17 ton lorry loads on this job, and to make matters worse, i had 5 days to do this in, two handed, what a joke!!

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and have been working with a scaffolding company as a design engineer for just over a year. I'm 24 and have been to university for my degrees in mechanical engineering. I can see both point of views from engineers and scaffolders hence why my employer has put me on the CITB Scaffolding course, I've done my part 1 and in a years time will be a fully qualfied scaffolder. I feel its very important to get the hands on practical knowledge so we can all work together to make sure what we build is safe and practical on paper and on site. If i get a tricky job I'll ask my boss or one of the supervisor how they would approach the job and then come up with the drawing and calcs. It's all a learning process, I've got an enormous amount of respect for both the scaffolders and the engineers I've met, I'm trying to find a happy medium between the two trades!! Let's work together guys...we're all on the same team!!

p.s great forum and great banter!!

Top Bottom