Leaving a ladder on a job (1 Viewer)

StoneScaffoldingLtd

Reaction score
Exclude site work!

One of our biggest bone of contentions on erecting jobs is do we leave a ladder or not!
Most roofers / builders have their own anyway, quite a few also do not have them.
I've had customers kick off for leaving one and kick off for not leaving one!

Now considering insurers claim that leaving a ladder on a scaffolding invalidates the owners insurance policy, this really is a grey area!

Just been reading this article that made me think of this -
Church's insurer refuses to pay out after thieves use scaffolding to steal lead - Telegraph

Two different issues as far as I can tell. Some people don't realise that even your home insurance company requires notification if any work is to be carried out especially if scaffolding is to be erected. On this occasion, the church were obviously reminded that they weren't covered should a theft occur. My advice on how to decide whether to leave a ladder or not, would be to ignore my client and speak to my insurance company.

Leave tha ladder locked down on the base lift so the client can unlock it from a stowed point,returning it once finished -that way everyones happt for the extra price of a padlock & chain, we use bike chains with tumble locks on all set to the same number

You have a requirement to provide a safe means of access.
You may also have a contractual requirement to provide a means of stopping unauthorised access.

However, once the scaffold is handed over to the client he is responsible for the scaffold and the means of access to it.

If you are building a scaffold and not formally handing it over to the client the onus to do so is with you.

Not sure that removing the ladder would deter a committed thieving b@stard anyway when there's a scaffold to be climbed. Insurers can and do use any excuse to avoid paying out. This is a case in point.

Would like to see a builder stand a steel 3 lift ladder up and walk with it haha

Top Bottom