Working with impact wrench (1 Viewer)

grafter

Reaction score
Thinking of getting impact wrench to make life easier whats the best tips advice when useing one for erecting/ striking ie sequences/ tips/tricks don't want a debate just advice thanks

When we first got ours, we found that the best way of working was whilst dismantling, just send 1 man ahead loosening all the fittings. The guys behind are just lifting gear and sending it down. Once we did the risk assessment though, we had to change the method to be a bit more conservative, due to the vibration and noise restrictions. On the erect, spanner hand puts in the squares and robo scaff fills everything in. Nobody will touch you for speed working that way.

Theres no right or wrong way ...tbh just use it as you would ur spanners. It wont take long to get the feel of it & ur know by sound if its too tight - just a couple of 1-2sec bursts should be ok, theres no need to keep the trigger pressed full in till it screams at you , as all you'll achive is wasting ur brushes & guys wiv spanners moaning theyre unable to undo it.
same sketch for striking couple of blips-any more & you'll prob spin off a few nuts, novice users normally do but again it wont take too long to master. -keep a pair of skeleton ear defenders on ur hard hat or plugs in ur pocket for internal jobs or stair treddas as the noise would be in the 95db+ range & if not protected u could risk damage to ur hearing - we've been usin em for quite a while now & had no major probs with SSO or agents alike & more & more guys are investing in them. You wont be disapointed with the results & i dont know of anyone who's used em & then decided to ho back to a spanner

When we first got ours, we found that the best way of working was whilst dismantling, just send 1 man ahead loosening all the fittings. The guys behind are just lifting gear and sending it down. Once we did the risk assessment though, we had to change the method to be a bit more conservative, due to the vibration and noise restrictions. On the erect, spanner hand puts in the squares and robo scaff fills everything in. Nobody will touch you for speed working that way.

Aren't you running the risk of a dropped object by doing dismantling like that Alastair?

Not a chance if it's done correctly by experienced men.

I have to laugh at all these tw@ts that turn up on a job with their brand new tools tethered to their body. That super dooper elimin8 thingwy is another that brings a smile to my face. The reason being, what is the 21 foot ladder beam their throwing about tethered to?

Not a chance if it's done correctly by experienced men.

I have to laugh at all these tw@ts that turn up on a job with their brand new tools tethered to their body. That super dooper elimin8 thingwy is another that brings a smile to my face. The reason being, what is the 21 foot ladder beam their throwing about tethered to?

Exactly my point old friend.
On major projects the main contractors insist on drop zones being set up. This means that they accept that there is a chance of an object being dropped and the drop zone doesn't eliminate that but minimizes the risk.
However if an object is dropped and it falls in the designated area then there will be a full investigation. And of course I would rather get hit on the head by a spanner than a 21

Quite right too. It was the same on the wee firms as well. Close off the area being struck. The only real difference between the two as far as I can tell, if there was a requirement for an investigation on a small firm it would usually end up with the culprit being banished to hump gear for eternity or just a little change of personnel.

Quite right too. It was the same on the wee firms as well. Close off the area being struck. The only real difference between the two as far as I can tell, if there was a requirement for an investigation on a small firm it would usually end up with the culprit being banished to hump gear for eternity or just a little change of personnel.

no difference with a big firm mate.

Top Bottom