Anyone done the Nebosh general or construction certificate? (1 Viewer)

Bobbysupascaff

Reaction score
Hello boys just read marras thread asking for advanced course details and I had a thought............

The rigging is too in and out for me so have given it some thought and might go for one of the above next year

Has anyone got any files or something that they could send over just so I can have a butchers please? And how did you find the course was it hard, and did you do it in a classroom or online etc

I'm just intelligence gathering lads seeing if it's feasible or not for a thick **** like me having a go lol, Garry's gonna send over the international cert for me

As always cheers lads :love:

Hello boys just read marras thread asking for advanced course details and I had a thought............

The rigging is too in and out for me so have given it some thought and might go for one of the above next year

Has anyone got any files or something that they could send over just so I can have a butchers please? And how did you find the course was it hard, and did you do it in a classroom or online etc

I'm just intelligence gathering lads seeing if it's feasible or not for a thick **** like me having a go lol, Garry's gonna send over the international cert for me

As always cheers lads :love:

sure the basic nebosh is around 300 coins of the realm for 3 days ad say it not to hard as its just the 3 days course the next 1 up is were the fun starts

is that the general cert marra? or is it the on below? cant remember the course title buts more of an appreciation course basically worth fook all lol

but the diploma ( fook knows why its called diploma its level 6 ie degree level ) is roughly 5/7 grand classroom based in london

The General Cert is approx. £1700 mate. I have the full course on PDF. If you send me your email i will try and send you a snipit. The file is way too large to send by email. Would take weeks to download.

And yes its a head f@ck. Ha ha ha

To be honest Bobby, it's just something that has never interested me. I just don't think I could hold my head up high telling someone not to do something when given the same set of circumstances, I would be doing it the same way.

That been said, don't ever be frightened to better yourself or improve your situation through taking these roles on. I'm glad you have someone to give you a peak at what's expected of you, but there is a danger you could be scared of by what you see. Sometimes your better just doing it the way it was intended, being introduced slowly into it.

I hope you do it, most of us only know what they know because someone told us. :nuts:

If I'm honest that's the one thing that doesn't appeal sending someone off site and probably for something less than what I've done in the past, yeah it's certainly a good step for the future and it's something that I should be able to jump straight into when that day comes as we have been hammered with it over the years

Cheers ally

I did the Construction certificate a few years back, with one of our Managers doing the General certificate at the same time. The construction side has a couple of extra modules in, but a lot of the general H&S knowledge and theory is the same. In practice, when comparing notes, I felt the construction certificate was easier as I could relate it to scenarios I've seen on site, whereas I've never worked in a shop, laboratory, etc.

I did the course 1 day per week over about 3 months which spread it out enough for the knowledge to sink in over time. To do it in a 1 or 2 week course, I think you would have to have bought the course text book a couple of months in advance and read it thoroughly before the course, otherwise it's a lot to take in.

I did the construction cert a few years back, it's not bad as long as you can get the time to read through the stuff and do lots of past papers to get used to writing it the NEBOSH way. I think my course was about £800, you can get them cheaper or more expensive it's just a case of searching round.

I did two nights a week in uni for 16 weeks, the general was 8 weeks but I went for the construction as it was more tailored for the industry I'm in.

Last edited:
Cheers mark and Tom great posts I'd love the one day a week but don't think my guv will lol think your spot on about studying first I'd like to read up on it before I attack it

Think I'll go for the construction one (well first anyway) with being a scaffolder getting on say skanska, bam, mcalpine etc should be a lot easier.............. In theory lol

You can pick a lot of stuff up and advise from a website called 'Health and Safety for Beginners' quite useful if you need to know something, they may even have past papers to download.

Actually just registered with them 2 days ago lol put a thread up had some great answers in truth Tom but haven't had the time to go through the site yet

Typical questions from the General Cert

Question 1

• Define ‘ergonomics’. (2)
  • Outline which health issues could be caused by poor ergonomic designs of display screen equipment (DSE) workstations. (4)
  • Outline which factors should be considered for an ergonomic assessment of a DSE workstation. (14)

Question 2

Use sketches to clearly show what is meant by the following terms relating to mechanical hazards from moving parts of machinery.

• Entanglement (2)
  • Crushing (2)
  • Drawing-in (2)
  • Shear (2)

Question 3

• Outline the main considerations when deciding on the siting of fire extinguishers. (4)
  • Outline maintenance and inspection requirements for fire extinguishers. (4)

Question 4

Explain these terms with regards to noise control.

i. Silencing (2)
ii. Absorption (2)
iii. Damping (2)
iv. Isolation (2)

Question 5

Outline a procedure for the safe lifting of a load whilst using a crane, ensuring the crane has been properly selected and positioned for the task. (8)

Question 6

i. Define the occupational health term “target organ”. (2)
ii. Outline personal hygiene methods that would decrease the risk of ingesting a hazardous substance. (6)

Question 7

Identify FOUR different types of hazards that could require the use of special footwear explaining in EACH type how the footwear protects the wearer. (8)

Question 8

List the items to include on an inspection checklist for portable electrical appliances. (8)

Question 9

Outline the main precautions to be taken whilst undertaking an excavation project. (8)

Question 10

• State TWO asbestos related respiratory diseases. (2)
  • Identify where you are likely to encounter asbestos in a building undergoing renovation work. (6)

Question 11

List ways that may cause a fork-lift truck to become unstable when in use. (8)

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Answers below

Question 1

• Define ‘ergonomics’.

• The study of the interaction between workers and their work, and is concerned with the design of the workplace, work equipment and work methods with the needs and limitations of the human operator in mind.

• Outline which health issues could be caused by poor ergonomic designs of display screen equipment (DSE) workstations.

• Work-related upper limb disorders such as: pain in shoulders, arms (including forearms), wrists, hands, fingers and even neck pains.
    • Eye strain
    • This question asks for an outline which would typically include detail of the symptoms and the circumstances that would make the effects more likely.

• Outline which factors should be considered for an ergonomic assessment of a DSE workstation.

• Equipment
    • Environment
    • Task
    • Individual - inter-relationships between these four
    • Repetition
    • Working posture of fingers, hands and wrists
    • Working posture of shoulders and arms
    • Psychosocial factors such as: pace of work, unplanned overtime/shift work, little control over own work, stressful deadlines, lack of training

Question 2

Use sketches to clearly show what is meant by the following terms relating to mechanical hazards from moving parts of machinery.

• Entanglement
  • Crushing
  • Drawing-in
  • Shear

• No need for a masterpiece
    • Clear representation of machinery parts demonstrating each particular hazard
    • Arrows to show the direction of movement

Question 3

• Outline the main considerations when deciding on the siting of fire extinguishers

• Accessibility
    • Visibility
    • Proximity to exits and escape routes
    • Travel distances
    • Support of the equipment off the ground
    • Free from obstruction
    • Protection from the weather
    • Protection from other sources of damage

• Outline maintenance and inspection requirements for fire extinguishers.

• Inspection – routine i.e. monthly visual checks ensuring extinguishers are in place, have not been discharged and have no obvious damage.
    • Maintenance – annual tests by a competent person according to the manufacturer’s instructions in order to ensure the extinguishers integrity, with faulty equipment being removed and replaced.

Question 4

Explain these terms with regards to noise control.

• Silencing

• The suppression of noise generated by the air flow, gas or steam in ducts and pipes, or when exhausted to the atmosphere, and uses either absorptive material or baffles

• Absorption

· Reduction of reflected noise by using materials such as foam or mineral wool

• Damping

· Reduction of amount of noise radiating from large panels and is effected by increasing the stiffness of the panels

• Isolation

· Physical separation of people from the noise source such as acoustic booths or havens, or by isolating the noise by vibration using flexible pipes or anti-vibration machine mounts

Question 5

Outline a procedure for the safe lifting of a load whilst using a crane, ensuring the crane has been properly selected and positioned for the task.

· The suitability of the lifting tackle such as its safe working load, free from defects, etc.
· The competence of the people involved i.e. driver, slinger, signaler
· The load must be lifted vertically, secure balanced and controlled during the lift by the use of tag lines whenever necessary
· Proper communication
· Area must be kept clear of non-essential personnel
· Lifting, moving and lowering must be performed at the correct rate maintaining proper control at each part of the operation

Question 6

• Define the occupational health term “target organ”.

• A part of the body that sustains an adverse effect when exposed to, or is contaminated by, a particular substance or agent. The harmful effects of a toxic substance confined to particular organs such as the lungs, liver, skin or kidneys.

• Outline personal hygiene methods that would decrease the risk of ingesting a hazardous substance.

· Regular hand washing
· Restriction of smoking and eating in the workplace
· P.P.E such as gloves
· Removal and cleaning of contaminated clothing

Question 7

Identify FOUR different types of hazards that could require the use of special footwear explaining in EACH type how the footwear protects the wearer.

• Falling objects – steel toe-caps
  • Sharp objects – steel in-soles
  • Flammable atmospheres – anti-static footwear
  • Spread of contamination – washable boots
  • Molten metal – heat resistant boots and gaiters
  • Electricity – rubber soles
  • Wet environments – impermeable Wellington boots
  • Slippery surfaces – non-slip soles
  • Cold environments – thermally insulated footwear

Question 8

List the items to include on an inspection checklist for portable electrical appliances.

• Appropriate equipment for the task and environment
  • Equipment is tested
  • Equipment, plugs, connectors and cables are free from damage
  • Correct wiring and sound connections
  • Fuses and other means of preventing excess current in place and correct rating
  • Accessible and appropriate means of isolation
  • System not overloaded
Question 9

Outline the main precautions to be taken whilst undertaking an excavation project.

• Detection of services using plans, cable/pipe detectors etc.
  • Supporting the sides
  • Storage of materials and spoil away from the edge
  • Measures to prevent vehicles falling into excavations such as stop blocks
  • Guard rails and barriers
  • Measures to prevent collapse of adjacent structures
  • Safe means of access/egress
  • Testing for, and ventilation of, noxious fumes
  • Measures to pump out water
  • Safe procedures for working with mechanical plant
  • Inspection, training and supervision

Question 10

• State TWO asbestos related respiratory diseases.

• Mesothelioma
    • Asbestosis
    • Lung cancer

• Identify where you are likely to encounter asbestos in a building undergoing renovation work.

· Pipe lagging
· Wall and roof panels
· Ceiling tiles
· Textured coatings such as fire resistant encapsulation of metal girders
· Insulation materials
· Gaskets and other seals

Question 11

List ways that may cause a fork-lift truck to become unstable when in use.

• Insecure, excessive or uneven loading
  • Incorrect tilt and/or elevation of forks whilst traveling
  • Uneven or unconsolidated ground
  • Slopes and incorrect procedures to deal with them
  • Obstructions overhead and low level
  • Cornering at excessive speeds
  • Sudden breaking
  • Tyres in poor condition
Mechanical failure

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

The General Cert is definitely your way in but every Tom,**** and Harry has one nowadays. The environment side is the way the forward, I did the associate member of IEMA last year, it was a lot harder than the general cert but its the way forward

thank you DS for adding the answers i got the email with just the questions and thought............... yep you guessed it wtf!!!!! lol

on a serious note thanks for putting the time in to post all of that mate its just further proved its gonna be hell for me but at the rates/career prospects on offer its got to be done cheers DS

Well worth doing Bobby, if you check out the local colleges you can do the Gen Cert over 33 weeks 1 night a week. Me and a lad I used to work with on the spanners did ours together. He now works for EDF in Russia on £120K for 9 months work.

what with just the general cert? i thought them sort of jobs was for diploma boys only

see thats my biggest problem deciding which cert to go for first the construction for the obvious reason but the general offers more variety

Bobbysupascaff, if I where you I would go for the General cert first, I have them both and it always seems that employers ask for the General one.
I did them home study because it was the cheapest option and my advice would be to go for it, IMO companies are going away from academics and are going for the person who has actually done the job, I had no problems getting employment with the two certs and have actually got other scaffolders into safety positions with the General cert and then they have progressed to the Diploma at there leisure. The hardest part of the course again IMO is the correct way to answer the questions in NEBOSH speak and the best advice I have ever given anyone is to go to the library and look for a book (about 20 pages thick) I can't remember what it's called but it really explains the difference between Identify-Outline-List-Explain-Define so you can answer the questions correctly. Good Luck

thank you ret terrific post mate do you mind me asking how long did it take you to do the home study?

and yes the nebosh language barrier ive heard before ive had a look at the int cert that garry kindly sent over lol its a mind fook i shall say but i was actually looking at the q s and as and i was wondering do you have to memorise the answers word for word or write the same meaning in different words if that makes sense?

as for prep i was told the iosh entry level course ( cant remember title ) prepares you for the nebosh and mainly the language but if you think of the name of that book please let me know lol

Top Bottom