Chargehands (1 Viewer)

paulscaff1

Reaction score
Is normal to have part 1 scaffolders as chargehands, what's everyone's opinion on this?

Can they overrule a Part 2 or Advanced scaffolders decisions? Or just bite the tongue and get on with it?

Although not unheard of its more unusual now then in the older days - as the emphasis now seems to be qualifications rather than experiance. But does it real matter as long as hes good at his jibl

Don't think it matters at all, if the more experienced person has a lesser ticket, leaders will lead!

There can only be one man in charge. If he's not up to the job his men will revolt.

What Bobby said. There's plenty of men with years of experience still on a part one or no card at all, although there's probably less of it these days.
I had a supervisor above me on a big job in the last couple of years and he wasn't even a scaffolder. He was a van driver mate of one of the managers and they put him through the CISRS Supervisor course. I would be more p1ssed off at that than a part one charge hand that's been on the tools for years.

What about if the quality/integrity of a finished job is questioned?

Wouldn't the most qualified scaffolder be held responsible?

Good solid bit of advice there mate.... Still doesn't answer the question though.

cards dont make the man
BUT IF IT ALL WENT WRONG THEN THE HSE INVESTIGATION WOULD FIND IT AN ISSUE AS THEY WOULD DEEM HIM NOT TO HAVE HAD THE RELEVANT TRAINING ;)

The hse would be looking for training and experience.

If the quality or integrity of the jobs in question, then it really doesn't matter what card the supervisor has, he would be first for the high jump. The superstar advanced would be a close second though, as they have the benefit of the training and supposed experience, and would be expected to know how to erect a safe job, no matter who is in the hot seat.

I know not all agree with me, but I have been supervised by a number of different trades over the years and it never really bothered me.

It was always nice to have the old, I don't know what you mean, you will have to show me, up the sleeve though. ;)

I would say on this topic either you have had a spell with capes or a company much like them capes keep all numptys indoctrinate them promote them there as bad as isis .some bell cap by the name of s. bates didn't do as he was told by head office being instructed to dismantle the scaffolds on the boiler went to look at the scaffolds decided to leave them up because they hadn't finished working on them,
he had been notified that the boiler was being fired up the boiler expanded retracted crushed all the scaffolds and gantrys oooooch £££££££££££ now that's what happens with in experienced scaffolders I rest my case scc

It should always be an advanced card holder in my eyes. A private does not tell a sergeant what to do...

You have leaders, chancers and sheep, if you are the latter make sure you are following the right one of the other two :)

Top Bottom