Do I need a CPC card/licence

goulda

Reaction score
On Monday I am picking up a load from one site and taking to another, I have three different sites to deliver to (3 separate loads). Do I need a CPC card/licence

If you're not doing any work at those sites, ie. just driving and delivering, then yes you would need a driver cpc.

Why not do 48 runs in a pick up truck thus nullifying the need for a CPC?:nuts:

As a scaffolder/driver you dont ( 25%of your day or less is driving)- but if your just a driver collecting & delivery the companies materials full time then yes you do.

We often do 2 or 3 small jobs ,adaptions in a day on different sites, but we are scaffolders not lorry drivers so we don't need the CPC

Im hoping to apply for an o licence in the next few months, is there any mention of cpc when applying for it.

I can't swear to this Tony , but when we got ours it was x amount in the bank and an of road parking place for the lorry that was the agenda , plus a service agreement with a commercial garage , I can't see why that would have changed as the lorry not the driver is their agenda

one thing I did not mention is I normally scaffold as oppose to driving I am just driving because no one else is available.

You would still need a driver cpc, because on this particular day driving will be your main job, not scaffolding. If you're doing small scaffolding jobs at three or four different sites then driving between them you're fine, but not if you're just delivering or collecting.

thanks Mark, that is the way I have read it.

I wonder, do any of you know of anyone who has been prosecuted for no Driver CPC?

As It happens, I've just been on one module of the cpc this morning. For us, as a company the lads driving 7.5 ton lorries to site, erecting the scaffold and then returning to the yard do not need the cpc. BUT if we send out the roll on roll off to one site and then on to another then the driver needs the cpc. It's all down to the interpretation of whichever vosa operative stops you as to which way the wind may blow. so to be safe I'm putting all the lads through it just to avoid any future problems.

I've heard of warnings being given out, as the deadline for cpc qualification was only last month. However, it will be down to the discretion on the day of VOSA or the Police if you get stopped. Certainly come Christmas when the deadline was more than three months ago, I would expect points and fines to be getting dished out.

We got stopped last Saturday. We had traveled to Hartlepool from Hull (2.5 hrs), Dismantled a job (3hrs) and on way back was pulled. Vosa tried to state the driver had driven more hrs than worked but after proving he was actually a scaffolder they let him go, Although not before recommending we put a net over the gear.

I'm thinking you dont need a cpc if your working with the gear but the more proof you have that you are a scaffolder and have worked at the job the better

I did my CPC 3 months ago. When I gut pulled by VOSA the other week and taken to the weigh bridge the told me I didn't need one.
Most of the comments on here are correct. If your just driving and not scaffolding then yes, but if you are on the spanner as well then no!

The instructor on the CPC course did say though that the Government are considering making it regulation for vans and pick up's in the near future too!

thanks Stone,
we have a guy tomorrow driving lorry to 4 different sites (picking up or dropping off scaffold) Some days he scaffolds and some days he drives, does he need a CPC that's the bit we are not sure of.

Goulda when my wife rang VOSA, pre me doing the course the woman on the other end of the phone said that it will all hinge on whoever pulls you over. Some VOSA guys will say you don't need one and some may say you do. I did it just to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom