aluminium ladders

scaff07

Reaction score
hey guys just a quick one was wondering if any 1 has any info on why we can't use aluminium ladders on galvanised tube I know it has something to do with corrosion but any info would be great

thanks

never heard of that mate to be honest, we sell a lot of alloy ladders too!

there are issues when salt water is thrown in the mix, especially with alloy beams with steel spigots but never heard of ladders and galv tube.

would be interested to know more if anybody has more information

Not something I have come across to be honest.

I would guess its a misinterpretation of something that goes back many years.
If aluminium is in LONG TERM contact with galv steel there is a chance for a chemical reaction to occur but note LONG TERM.
There is also a requirement not to mix steel and alloy in the same scaffold for structural reasons.

If there were a major issue with Galv and alloy that would prohibit many temp roof structures??

It may however be a "Customer Requirement" which if it was known at the time of your quotation may form part of your contract
regards
Alan

Galvanic corrosion is a major issue when alloy components are in contact with dissimilar metals.
This is extremely evident in an offshore environment where the corrosion rate is accelerated with salt air.
We have evidence of alloy beams corroding/pitting after a few months where the fittings have been located.
Our alloy beam supplier have specified the fittings are opened up on alloy beams every 3 months to ensure/satisfy the scaffold inspector excessive corrosion is not detrimental to the alloy beam integrity.
In a nut shell alloy & steel does not mix well; however onshore degradation should not be so severe.
Previously potential incendive sparking was a concern in gas fuel areas; however HSE have since issued guidance in the form of a letter demonstrating this was unlikely.

Sorry, this may be a lot more info than what you were looking for

Top Bottom