Stabila (1 Viewer)

Garry Adams

Reaction score
I was talking with some Scaffs from St Fergus Gas Terminal, they were telling me about a Sabila which has been modified---the modification being that, the plumb bead can be adjusted to angles of between 45 and 35 Degrees from Plumb---apparently this provision is to allow for Bracing, Pick-ups and Raker's to be installed to with in parameters of the recommended angle.

Seems quite placeable given the advancements and innovations that has appeared of late---

Just wondered if any one has seen or heard of these levels.

Garry...

haven't ,heard of a Stabila with this feature but had an adjustable 3ft one years ago for around the house. Main problem was you had to keep checking that it was still at the correct angle before every use but they might have overcame that by now.
I remember having a 45 degree bead some engineers made up in the shipyard so we could put a angled platform on a Flare stack with friction clamps, the stack was to be lifted into position when the rig was placed so was at 45 degrees off level until then

Sorry to say but after Grangemouth & Kinneal then Mossmorran, Fawley and Immingham went onto street work just before the recession hit and got laid off a few months ago.

Might be getting hired in the near future as a chargehand though so can't complain

Steve

I have worked with friction clamps on a few offshore Installations, however, that was quite a while age---I managed to track two friction clamps in DSL yard in Aberdeen, they had been returned from back loaded from offshore, Iv been trying to source information, manufacturers ect of friction clamps---have you got any info on them ?

Garry...

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

sorry to hear your nae workin jist now---have you tried St Fergus Gas Terminals ?---was the Roper Brothers fae Edinburgh at Graingmouth ?

Jeez, now your askin.
I don't think i've even seen a friction clamp in 15 years or more, was with SGB in UIE clydebank at the time.
On a lighter note almost every scaff i've met since then thinks friction clamps are like big weights, long stands or the good ole Sky Hooks.

the only place i saw advertising them is Scaffolding Supplies.

Also found a Cape & SGB site on about them but Southern Africa is a bit far to go for a clamp don't ya think. it did give some figures for the chains and a few sketches but not really much technical info its more an erectors guide. SGB/Cape site

Stevie

Thanks for the info and links---aye, theres nae much Scaffs used the friction clamps eh---however, they come on very handy for punching off when erecting from cylindrical steelwork---ideal for access walkways ect...

Aye, unfortunately there are some Scaffs that widni hay a scoobie Doo what a friction clamp is.

cheers for that, Im awa 4 a wee butchers of the links...

Garry...

ive seen them for sale - big money too !

scaffy

how much ?---I'll have to go up to the DSL Yard and blag them :idea:---I'll need a drop side---they'r a c*^%t of a weight.

they was on scaffoldsupplies website (as just noticed earlier poster pointed out) think was 200 a go , yeh go help ya self , i can do the dropside ha , limited market tho !

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

big chain and a couple of half back doubles aint it ?? GKN MILLS made them i believe

I was talking with some Scaffs from St Fergus Gas Terminal, they were telling me about a Sabila which has been modified---the modification being that, the plumb bead can be adjusted to angles of between 45 and 35 Degrees from Plumb---apparently this provision is to allow for Bracing, Pick-ups and Raker's to be installed to with in parameters of the recommended angle.

Seems quite placeable given the advancements and innovations that has appeared of late---

Just wondered if any one has seen or heard of these levels.

Garry...

Yeah, Garry, Leachs sent through one of their leaflet things to me the other day which had these on. Give me a shout if you need their details

gordy

Thanks for that---yes please, if you could send me their details for future referance.

Garry...

A lad i work with has one,it just has a extra bubble dial at top of the level,feels a bit bulky but a good idea.

Hi Garry,
Ive used this before: Stabila Type 81S REM W45

You can probably calibrate the 45 degree section to suit a job.

Scaff

Thanks for the Ref N.o M8---seems like a good piece of kit, especialy if the Inspection/Tag Man is working to the recommended angles of between 35 through to 45 Degrees. I was told that it was a Scaff who pushed the idea.

Garry...

Fat max

i threw away my staby nearly 3 years ago
ever since ive been using a level made by stanley, the FAT MAX,
its the same shape and size as most stabys but it gives you a more accurate reading, 10year warranty, and you can adjust one of the three levels to suit any angle wich comes in handy wen doing angled edge protection, ledger brace, face brace ...ect

strongly advise street scaffs to have a look

K1ng Billy

Thanks for the info---by the way have you got any s/k's doone in the Yard ???

Top Bottom